Logging Dives - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Logging Dives

I know there are a lot of Dive Masters, Instructors and whatnot here so I figure this would be the best place for info..

I was certified about 4 years ago then never dove. I work out of town a lot and scheduled charters for when I could get back but they were always cancelled.. Finally, I bought a boat and have dove about 50 times this summer.. I planned to log them in the beginning but couldn't find my log book.. I finally found it and figured I'd backtrack a little and get up to date.. But, I noticed a seal imprinted on my first 5 dives done during the course... So, do the following dives have to be stamped or does my dive buddy just have to sign? I don't want to look shady for filling out all that crap late but I also don't want to not get credit for an entire summer of diving almost every weekend either. I've been diving with a couple guys that dive Nitrox and I'm really seeing the advantage of that class. We dove about 120 feet yesterday. Me and another guy ran out of air and came up but the guy diving Nitrox stayed down another TEN MINUTES!! That gave him just enough time to wait for a school of monster AJ to swim by and he busted one of them, beating my AJ that was on the board for first.. :banghead

Anyway, some of those classes you can't take without a certain number of logged dives.. I have more than enough for whatever but need to log... What to do?

I know this is a rookie question but I've forgotten a lot of that stuff. Reading tables, and the other safety stuff is about all I retained from that class. For the life of me, I can't remember the protocol for logging dives..
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: Logging Dives

Just have your dive buddy sign off on them.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Snapper

Hey, Jarhead...I'm an Instructor and would advise you to log your past dives even if they are logged "late". For NAUI NitroxDiver certificationyou only need OW certification to take the course. Log your past dives and be as accurate as possible in order to demonstrate your skill level.Oh, after Nitrox, get a computer that will log 'em for you! That's what we do! :doh It's hard to keep track of all your dives and Instructors and boat staff know that, just log your dives as best as you can. You don't have to have a signature or stamp from an Instructor or Dive Master. BTW, cost of Nitrox Certification is $99 at MBT Divers and I'm teaching Monday night at 6pm! :toast
BADBOY69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Trigger

So you don't need the stamp,, sweet..

You may see me at that Nitrox class..
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Sailfish

Definitely get that EAN class done!!! And get a Nitrox capable computer. The guys at the shop (MBT) will be happy to show you what they have. I'd recommend the Zeagle, Tusa, or DiveRite computer. They are all the same, made by the same manufacturer (Seiko, I think) but have different names stamped on them.

Another good one I've used recently is the new Mares Puck. It's almost $100 less than the other I recommended.

The only logged dives that require a signature are those done as part of a class. So, just dive, dive, dive, and log, log, log.

I usually let my computer keep track ofmy divesuntil I get to sit down and copy the info to the log book. The only problem with doing this is that Isometimes forget some of the details of the dives... exact location, what I saw, what I shot, etc.

Ideally, I like to sit down and do the logs after each day of diving, but that doesn't always happen.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Heck, I log each and every dive so that when the missus starts bitching that I go diving every weekend I can look back and say, "No I have not gone in two weeks. I go EVERYOTHER WEEKEND!"

:letsdrink
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
bmoore (10/21/2008)Heck, I log each and every dive so that when the missus starts bitching that I go diving every weekend I can look back and say, "No I have not gone in two weeks. I go EVERYOTHER WEEKEND!"

:letsdrink
Preemptive defense. That's a great idea, but it wouldn't work in my favor. I think I dive every weekend, some week days, and leap years too. She's very understanding, but I don't think I could get away with that one.
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
Trigger

let the computer do the work for you. and if you dive out of the country you will most likely take youre own stuff so just show you computer. i think the memory is 1000 dives on my comp.plus you can download the tracks

SSI
Sniper Spear-It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Ha spearfisher I used to do that when I worked at a dive shop as well. But then it is "work"!

I pulled out the old log book last night when I started to get a earfull. Hadn't been in two weeks. Was thinking about going tomorrow but looks like the weather is going to make the decision for me.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in