Lionfish Removal & Awareness Day / May 16-17 in Pensacola - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Like Tree32Likes

Old 04-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Lionfish Removal & Awareness Day / May 16-17 in Pensacola

Lionfish Removal & Awareness Day
May 16-17 Plaza de Luna Park
10am-5pm
900 S Palafox Street Pensacola, FL 32502

This is going to be an awesome event! If you can't participate in the shootout, please consider attending the FREE Awareness Day Festival.

Festival activities include: Lionfish tastings, Fillet demonstrations, Family activities, Celebrity Chefs, Raffles and prizes, Over 40 vendors.

http://reefrangers.com/event-info/
http://www.gulfcoastlionfish.com/index.html
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Grouper

We were in every one they had last year. were unsure if we're going to enter this year because now they are keeping all the fish you enter . Don't really want to give all my fish away!
aquatic argobull likes this.
TONER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONER View Post
We were in every one they had last year. were unsure if we're going to enter this year because now they are keeping all the fish you enter . Don't really want to give all my fish away!
I don't think that's the case. You have to turn in the fish that count towards the raffle (15/entry). Those fish can be entered at any time between now and the shootout, and, can also be entered during the shootout, but then they can't count towards your total for Most category.

I may be reading the rules wrong, but understood that non-raffle fish and non-Largest/Smallest entries could be retained.

Maybe shoot Andy Ross an email and ask him about this specifically.

Even if I'm reading it wrong, there's still $1,700 in cash available for the largest/smallest/live categories, and some pretty good raffle prizes. As a bonus, any participant bringing in at least 350 Lionfish during the 2 day event will receive a free Florida Saltwater Products License.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Grouper

I already talked to Andy they are keeping ALL entered fish! So if you don't win your sol!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Mingo

Sorry to give you bad info then.

I look at it as an investment. FWC is co-hosting this event, and we've got a fair number of sponsors and chefs involved.

The more people who are exposed to the delicious taste of lionfish, the better chances we have of establishing a demand in restaurants and grocery stores. IMO, that's the only way that we'll keep a lid on this problem. FWC is more likely to stay involved if there's a ton of fish turned in.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Grouper

I personally as a diver don't look at lionfish as a problem and they are here to stay ridding lionfish out of the gulf would be like trying to get rid of fire ants the good thing about them is divers are the only ones primarily that can harvest them they are open all year round no limits they are great to eat if you invest $25 into a resale license you can make some money off of them
gator7_5 and MrFish like this.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Trigger

I would encourage everyone to participate in the lionfish tournaments to help our fishery. Pensacola is LUCKY to have the Big FWC Event being hosted in their city. I hope you Pensacola guys enjoy the big event and bring in a ton of lionfish! The Gulf Coast Lionfish Coalition has done a lot of work to help put that event together and I'm sure it will be fabulous.

For those of you who dive out of Destin, you might want to register for the Discovery Dive World Lionfish Derby. The top prize for this derby was donated by the Emerald Coast Reef Assoc.: $1,000.00 and the prestigious Don Gaetz Champion of the Fishery Award. This year's award looks amazing! I'll be posting a picture as soon as I pick it up. Everyone gets to keep their fish at this tournament. IF you want to register, hurry. The first 35 people who register for the DDW Derby, get a FREE lionfish pole spear. You can register at www.ecreef.org

The check is already made out...it just needs your name on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Lionfish Removal & Awareness Day  / May 16-17 in Pensacola-big-check-2015-lf-derby-jpg  
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

So, just to be clear...we go dive and kill hundreds of lion fish and then PAY YOU $35 to take the lionfish that we kill. Then YOU can take that lionfish and sell it for the going rate? That does sound like a good deal!!!
Evensplit, TONER and cjmn2006 like this.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Trigger

I would caution divers to look into the increased cost of owning a commercial fishing license. You probably have recreational boating, towing and dive insurance.

Your insurance companies may drop your insurance or raise the rate once you become a commercially licensed fisherman.

Also, there are regulations that must be followed when you are a commercial fisherman that do not pertain to recreational fishermen. You need to look into that to make sure that you don't wind up paying a fine issued by a multitude of fishing regulatory agencies for breaking rules that you didn't know exist.

Be careful! If you become a commercial fisherman and fail to inform your insurance companies and God forbid you have a claim, you could be charged with insurance fraud. Insurance companies tend to investigate whenever there is a big claim becasue they don't like to lose money. If you're a commercially licensed spearfisher selling fish, you are NOT a recreational diver/fisherman on a recreational boat anymore.

Oh, and one more thing if you're fishing commercially: Don't forget you will have to claim the extra income on your taxes . Be sure to take a look at your tax situation before you put an SPL in your name!

Having an SPL sounds great...you can sell your fish, but be sure you know how much a FREE SPL will cost you. Unless you plan to make lionfish hunting your career, the costs may easily outweigh the income.

I asked the FWC to remove the SPL for lionfish so anyone could sell lionfish without being a licensed commercial fisherman and they rejected the idea. That would have fixed the problems outlined above. Without an SPL requirement, you would just be a recreational fisherman, on a recreational boat that occationally made a few bucks on a lionfish haul. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El
... As a bonus, any participant bringing in at least 350 Lionfish during the 2 day event will receive a free Florida Saltwater Products License.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
Grand Slam

Good point Candy, Also in order to get an RS or to keep an RS you must show proof of selling at least $5000 worth of seafood products in a 12 month period. The Amout required goes down as you get above a certain age. and goes to 0$ at 70 years old IF you previously held a RS endorsement. No RS is required for Lion fish sales just the SPL license for accountability.

Last edited by sealark; 04-28-2015 at 12:38 PM.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in