Lionfish Population Control Proposal - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Like Tree11Likes

Old 04-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Lionfish Population Control Proposal

Please read the proposal below. If you like it, go to www.ecreef.org and click on the banner on the top of the page to sign a letter of support for the proposal.

The Emerald Coast Reef Association has developed a financially sustainable Lionfish Population Control proposal designed to motivate masses of divers to aggressively target lionfish year round. This plan does not require paying fees to enter derbies, lets you keep your meat, and would not force our fishery agencies to ask the legislators to use your taxes to continue to fund grants that partially finance derbies... Any diver could participate. Sound good so far?

Here's the idea:
  • Divers remove lionfish at their own risk and expense.
  • They turn in 100 lionfish heads to a counting location and are rewarded with 10 native fish tags good in-or-out of season.
  • Tags would be as follows: 2 Red Snapper, 2 Red Grouper, 2 Gag Grouper, 2 Grey Triggerfish, 2 Greater Amberjack
  • There would be NO limit on how many lionfish you could exchange for tags.

The proposal is for a 2 year pilot program that will remove 25,000 lionfish, though out a 6 county area in the FL Panhandle at a cost of 500 each of the 5 different native species listed above.

ECRA along with volunteers have volunteered to run the program for 2 years at NO cost to taxpayers other than the cost of FWC provided tags. The number of fish we need as motivators is so small that the Deputy Director of Marine Fisheries Management said it was "biologically insignificant".

This plan will NOT harm our native fishery, it will help save it! It will not shorten fishing seasons for any sector; it will protect future access by saving millions of our native fish from predation every month the 25,000 lionfish are out of our water!

Go here to read a brochure that outlines the proposal: http://www.ecreef.org/Documents/4.19...20Brochure.pdf

Please sign our letter of support and share the link with all your friends and family members and ask them to sign it too. Share on your Facebook page and help us get this program started in the Panhandle. It CAN be done and with massive public support, it will be done.

Legislators and the FWC Commission have recently been provided with the plan. The low cost and the high removals should have them all excited to give it a try. After the meeting where I presented the plan to the FWC commissioners, I was advised to build a ton of public support. That's why we are asking you to to sign a letter that will be delivered to Governor Scott and the FWC Commissioners.

What will your support of this plan cost you? 30 seconds of your time to sign the letter of support petition, that's it. www.ecreef.org

Thanks in advance for your support!
Attached Thumbnails
Lionfish Population Control Proposal-lf-poster-support-final-print-jpg  
TONER likes this.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Bunch of crap, What that will do is take that number of fish off the recreational fishermens alocation and cause a shorter season. Plus it wont effect the lionfish population in the long run.
60hertz likes this.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Trigger

Scientists doing stomach content surveys have documented that lionfish eat our native fish including snappers, groupers, triggers and lobsters.

Science has also shown a single mature lionfish can eat 65 of our native fish in a single feeding. How many native fish could 25,000 mature lionfish eat in a single day?
25,000 x 65 =

Is a trade of a total of 500 each of 5 different native species over a 2 year time frame across a 6 county range going to save more fish than it removes?

The picture below was presented at the 2013 Lionfish Summit by Lad Adkins of REEF(R). This is the stomach contents found in this one lionfish. Notice the fish are not digested. These native fish were consumed shortly before the lionfish was removed from the water. This is just one reason why we need year-round massive removals.
Attached Thumbnails
Lionfish Population Control Proposal-sm-64-fish-1-lionfish-reef-org-jpg  
amarcafina likes this.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Trigger

sounds like a great deal for divers. not sure what good it does for the ecosystem by delaying the natural response
Old 04-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Trigger

Here is the natural response after 3 decades of uncontrolled population explosion:
Attached Thumbnails
Lionfish Population Control Proposal-1985-2014-pop-explosion-map-jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
Sailfish

Nature WILLL keep lionfish in control before its too late. Divers have ZERO chance. Get used to them, they will be here forever in some numbers.
MrFish likes this.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator7_5 View Post
Nature WILLL keep lionfish in control before its too late. Divers have ZERO chance. Get used to them, they will be here forever in some numbers.
Gator, I hope you're right about nature jumping up to the plate before it's too late, but history and science don't favor that theory. Thirty years of scientific documentation have shown the problem is getting worse every year.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Candy your pictures are showing there expansion over 30 years. Noone is saying they are not expanding. What I have stated was they will in time reach equalibrim. If they are such a destroyer and will ruin everything why havent they done it in the red sea, madagasker and Africa. They been there for millions of years. I have dove all those places and seen lion fish co existing not overrunning the reefs.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
Grouper

Can't find a link to sign, just the lengthy proposal. Guidance?
flappininthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Trigger

There is a banner top front and center of the page. In big yellow letters, it says click here to sign a letter of support. Click on that and it should take you to the petition page. Then click on the sign the petition button. It's blue on the top of the page.

Thanks for asking! And, thanks for your support!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in