Hooked when diving? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Hooked when diving?

Just saw the thread where someone was asking what to do about the fishing v. diving situation on a wreck. Just curious if anyone has ever been hooked while diving over a wreck? I am a complete newb at diving and that is one thing that scares me (and cuda's).
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Hooked when diving?

My friend's wife was once snagged in her BC and was headed to the surface when he had to grab and hold her while we cut the line. an exciting accident with a damaged BC bladderand a story to tell.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Sailfish

I have been wraped up in some heavy mono before that took me a while to cut loose but never hooked.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
White Marlin

I don't dive anymore, but I do fish. I would think a diver would put up a good fight, but don't want to bring em in the boat green, they might kick your butt.oke
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Sailfish

yes, I have been hooked once, but luckily it was by my wife who was a bubblewatcher... she is very small so I wasnt concerned....I just quickly grabbed my knife that is always within reach and cut the line...of course I put the lead in the sleeve of my wetsuit, they areto expensive to leave on the bottom...The funny part was seeing the excitement and frustration on my wifes face as she told us aboutthe big fishshe lost, but she was determined to keep trying to catch it again....I smiled and handed her the weight back and told her the story....we all had a good laugh about it......moral of the story.....

Always have a knife within reach of EITHER/BOTH hands....locate it centered in the chest or even carry two....you never know which hand will be incapacated for whatever reason....
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Grouper

been hooked by a diamond jig before grabed my z knife cut the line and got a good jig. good thing that treble hook just went into my wetsuit
JOHNJOHN205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Sailfish

Goodness, those are somecrazy stories for sure. So pretty much when diving all is well as long as you dont get bent, get caught by a hook, or eatin by a cuda/shark. What an exciting sport! J/k
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Bill Me (1/5/2009)I don't dive anymore, but I do fish. I would think a diver would put up a good fight, <U>but don't want to bring em in the boat green</U>, they might kick your butt.oke
You just dont want to have to tag and release um or worse yet have to get um mounted and ready for the wall.:toast
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Trigger

I also like a little h&amp;l once in a while. usually on the S/I. I brought my brother up to fish and wouldnt you know it he hooked a diver and told me the line felt funny like it was a large anchor heading for the dive boat. i had him freeline until the diver got onboard who was hooked. he said he never even knew he was hooked. but being that we knew what to look for he never even jerked his rod. we kinda figured with the line heading towards the dive boat that is what happened
Sniper Spear-It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Sailfish

Because of the low catch rate of divers in the Gulf of Mexico, the NMFS has declared recreational divers to be endangered and has proposed closing the recreational season ondivers next month. The commercial TAC for divers will be increased, minimum size will be reduced, and season will be extended to Feb 1 - Dec 31. Gigging will be allowed.

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in