Getting OW cert. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Getting OW cert.

ive wanted to get scuba certified for a long time are there any of you that have advise for where to take the classes and such who has the best price or offers a discount to PFF members??????
ShaneLane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Getting OW cert.

pm sent
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Sailfish

MBT Buy a computer and get Nitrox certified
Corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Praedator
Grand Slam

90% of us are going to recomend MBT. And there is good reason. Once you get your cert there, you are part of a much larger family that will take care of you. Fritz and Jim and everyone else there at MBT will help you with anything and everything you need.

MBT is also the cheapest in town to get certified. I think their price is still $149.00 (soon to go up from what I hear). That includes everything to get certified on your schedule. You will need Fins, Booties, Mask, and Snorkle. Everything else is included in the price.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Sailfish

If you're in the Pcola area, MBT gets my vote. It's where I've done all my training.
FelixH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Trigger

thats what ive been seeing around the forum all about mbt well i have to save my money on a very tight income so def gonna get it done ASAP till then im gonna snag up the gear i.e. fins booties snorkel mask and a pole spear i want to get into spearfishing
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
ShaneLane (4/21/2009) pole spear i want to get into spearfishing
Here's just one piece of advice. Dive some without a pole spear/gun for a little bit before you start wrestling some fish. I wish that I would have dove longer without spearfishing. It's hard for me to enjoy the underwater environment because I am always on the hunt. Spearfishing complicates things and it helps to get your breathing down pat and get comfortable underwater before you start wrestling with fish.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Trigger

i will def. get very comfortable with the diving first however untill then ill be freediving a few places and pop a few fish but thank you so much for the info
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Snapper

+1 more for MBT. Good advice from Telum on getting comfortable in diving before adding tasks like spearing. Once you get comfortable diving and are ready to shoot fish, there are always folks looking to fill a boat and get out slingin steel. Sounds like you have the right frame of mind to tackle diving first, while getting in some spearing practise while freediving. Welcome to the diving/spearfishing addiction.
HateCheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

MBT...and besides being a great place, almost everybody up there is a member here on the PFF. Jim, Fritz, Rich, Big Rich, Josh, Dalton, Jerry,and I know Im missing somebody. You really are like family. They put up with me going up there asking stupid questions and not spending a dime for at least a year before I got certified. And now....they still put up with me!

On another note....welcome to the addiction! We do have a counseling group for it once your life spins out of control with your new addiction...its calle the Guns & Hoses Spearfishing Club. Some are hardcore pros and technical divers, some suck, andrarely shoot fish,(like me), and some are brand new. Watch for post of when the next meeting is, great times, and family oriented too. You missed out last thursday I think it was, MBT had a big spearfishing seminar with the rep from Hameerhead speqarguns giving away freebees, and Dalton and Josh did an outstanding job with the seminars and such. Was free, with food, and a balst! Jim said they are having another one in a month, don't miss it! And we (Guns & Hoses) will be there again for it. I am the mebership cordinator, as of now, there are no dues, will be soon, like $35 a year or something, were working out the details. PM me your name, number, and email adress if you would like to get emails about the next meeting and come on by!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in