Getting my certification - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Getting my certification

I want to get my dive certificationo i have called several places in my area(Mobile).On averagethe places around here i have called told me out the door its going to be $500-$600 not including mask, fin, snorkel, and booties. I read some other post on here where people reccomended MBT Divers so i called them. The guy there told me forthe class out the door not including gear was going to be $179. Does anybody know if this sound right or am i missing something? It just doesnt seem like there would be that much of a difference in price. Is there maybe some hidden fees im missing?
costadelmarkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

Default RE: Getting my certification

That is correct. MBT's price is out the door minus fins, mask, snorkle, and booties. If you are getting quoted that much in Mobile, it's worth the gas money to come get certified at MBT here in Pensacola. The guys at MBT will treat you right.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Trigger

you can spend as much as you want on your mask fins booties gloves snorkel etc. realistically at mbt you wont spend more than $300 on gear so you'll still be less than $500 out the door. if you go nuts though on the gear you get then the sky's the limit. good luck, theres nothing like it.

+ 1 for mbt.

cheers
seanmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Snapper

I'm an instructor at MBT but before I was an instructor,I was a customer for 12 years. I have not used another dive shop in Pensacola in 15 years.There's nothing hiddenin the price. It includesall books, all scuba gear, tank fills, and pool fees. The only thing it does not include is entrance feesto dive sites. If we dive at Fort Pickens, there's an $8 per car-load entrance fee. If we go to Vortex Springs, there's a $19 per person entrance fee. Those fees are not included.

While you are astudent at MBT, you get 10% off your snorkeling gear or any other gear youpurchase from MBT. A "scuba quality" package includingmask, fins, snorkel and booties will start about $150 and go up from there. Wal-mart gear is not scuba quality, but no one will say anything to you if you show up with that (but we will say we told you so ifyour mask implodes at 50 feet:doh)

PM me ifyou have more questions.
Florabama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Well I will definitely check it out. I spent several days in a pool a few weeks ago with a rescue diver.I did several of the pool drills he said that i would have to learn and was able to get comfortable witheverything and i really enjoyed. (The free flowing regulator was probably my favorite). The only thing that worries me is that i have asthma. Im not sure if that matters sothats the only thing left i need to check into. Is gear very expensive to rent?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Snapper

+1 one more for MBT. They'll treat you right.

Not sure on prices for renting gear.
HateCheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
costadelmarkid (6/17/2009)Well I will definitely check it out. I spent several days in a pool a few weeks ago with a rescue diver.I did several of the pool drills he said that i would have to learn and was able to get comfortable witheverything and i really enjoyed. (The free flowing regulator was probably my favorite). The only thing that worries me is that i have asthma. Im not sure if that matters sothats the only thing left i need to check into. Is gear very expensive to rent?
If you have adult asthma, I would recommend that you go ahead and get a medical release from your physician before coming to take classes. We have a medicalform that I will be happy to send you if you would like.You will have to get a statement from your doctoranyway if you have adult asthma, and going ahead and getting that will save you the trouble ofstarting the class then having to stop until the medical is cleared by a doctor.I don't think anyone will allow you to go ahead with adult asthma without a doctor's release.

Gear is pretty cheap to rent. A full tank is $7 I think, and a reg is $14. If you're not ready to buy everything at once, most people buy their regulators first because that's the most important part of your gear. A tank should be the last thing you buy. MBT has a "Student Package" that's got an Oceanic Alpha Regulator, Octo, Guages, and Oceanic Ocean Pro BC for about $600. You can't beat that anywhere including the internet. That's about 20% off the retail price and saves you about $300 off the individual prices. Its a great way to start. My son still dives with theOceanic Alpha reg I bought him 15 years ago.
Florabama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Its not the money it costs to take the course (primarily because its not mine.....) its the group of people that you hook up with to go diving. I have met a number of folks who have come over from Mobile who have taken the course at MBT and have had a great time with the Pensacola crowd! The instruction is second to none, and the people you meet make diving that much more fun....
arch_diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I dont have a lot of money to spend right now so thats why i wanted to rent to begin with. Im thinking about riding over and looking around next week just to talk in person and look at some of the gear.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

Bay Breeze Dive Center has a deal. 199.00 for two people, you have to purchase your mask fins and snorkel from them.

Get a buddy and get certified for 100.00 bucks!
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in