Do divers really "kill the bite"? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Like Tree3Likes

Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Default Do divers really "kill the bite"?

Recent thread about divers & fishermen on public spots in the General Discussion area made me want to pose this question to the diving community as to whether divers really "cause the bite to go off" as a lot of non-diving fishermen seem to think? I've read some comments on on the fishing threads here in the past as well.

I dive and fish .... but have only lived, dove, and fished in the NW Florida area about a year. I've made about a dozen dives on local public spots here & fished about the same.

As a fisherman I've been catching fish & suddenly have the bite to "go off" for no discernible reason at all. (I usually like to blame it on my buddy peeing in the water)

In my diving experience (here; Texas lakes; Mexico, Keys; Hawaii) I've not noticed all the fish flee & scatter from the wreck or reef when divers go down. Seems to me they just continue with their normal fish business, except maybe those in my immediate vicinity. I have experienced in Texas lakes if you take a few treats down in your BC pocket you can be swarmed with bluegill/perch ... and these are fish not really accustomed to being around divers. They were certainly never afraid of me and when presented with tasty food my presence certainly didn't kill their appetite.

So .... what do the divers on here think? Is this a myth .... or do we really actually "cause the bite to go off."

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Grouper

I dive and fish both....

On days I'm diving....of course not!! Divers don't affect the bite at all, in fact, they probably increase the bite by stirring action on the bottom. I believe that putting a diver in the water is one of the best things you can do if the fish are biting finicky.

On days I'm fishing.....HECK YEAH....freakin' divers jump in, we're pullin fish like crazy...within 30 seconds! BITE OVER...might as well move...for that matter might as well erase that number from my GPS, it'll never be worth coming back to...it is DEAD. DANGED DIVERS!
hsiF deR likes this.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Sailfish

Hunnhh, Its weird how when i've fished over the years on a spot & divers showed up on a spot we were on it changed the bite dramatically. Must just be our bite they affected. If u go down blowing bubbles it has to do something. Just my past experiences I've had. I'm sure they dont affect fishing that much but something happens. I've never noticed divers going down & the bite pics up. Maybe on a large structure. Definatley not a small structure.
KingCrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

In my experience as a diver and bottom fisherman. divers who are spearfishing can negatively affect the bite. In my opinion a lot of it has to do with the amount of exposure the fish on the reef have had to spearfisherman. If you dive a spot with snapper / grouper for example that have not ever seen a spearfisherman they may come toward you when you hit the bottom. But on a public spot what I have seen is that often the larger fish will move off into the sand or deep into the reef with a diver present.
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to speckledcroaker

Wirelessly posted

I've had divers anchor ten feet from me and jump in the water. I do not like divers!
speckledcroaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckledcroaker View Post
Wirelessly posted

I've had divers anchor ten feet from me and jump in the water. I do not like divers!
I posted it in this section of the forum to get the perspective of divers (sans all the hate talk from certain non-divers.)

No offense, but I'm a bit surprised you are even perusing the Scuba section considering you apparently don't dive.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

I have been on boats where the fishermen on the boat that I just jumped off of limit out on snapper while I was down limiting out on mine. I suppose there are always variables though.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Sailfish

Just my observations:
  • Fisherman are superstitious and will attribute the increase or decrease in "the bite" to all kinds of things.
  • Many fish move away from a structure when open circuit divers are present. The more divers in the water, the farther off they move. They usually comeback within a few minutes after the divers are out of the water.
Whackum
evacuee and AndyS like this.
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Grouper

no they are not

Last edited by chad403; 06-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.
chad403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
White Marlin

While I am not a diver, I do snorkel some. And am not "anti-diver".

I have noticed that the bite shuts off when divers enter the water. The more divers, the more it shuts off. I also notice that it shuts off when dolphins come around. When something large and strange approaches a reef, stuff stops eating.

I bet if a Great White burst into your living room while you were eating dinner, you might stop eating. haha

Last edited by NoMoSurf; 06-19-2014 at 09:21 PM.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in