Divers Needed - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Divers Needed

I was certified a couple years ago. A buddy and I took the class and he freaked out when we got in the pool.... It never crossed my mind until then but he was the only person I knew that dove and he doesn't dive.

I've signed up for several charters but they've all been canceled, visibility/weather ect. I'm out of town a lot so when I'm home I need to make the most of it. I got a box full of brand new gear I've never gotten to use. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to go by myself.

Anyone ever want to go diving,, Please let me know.!! My boat, yours whatever. I'll pay gas or burn my gas, I don't care. Just want to dive.

I would love to get into spear fishing but you guys probably don't wanna spear fish with a guy with only 5 dives total.
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: Divers Needed

Where are you located?
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Grouper

Hey Jarhead, I don't think you'll have to look to far to find guys/girls to dive with here (Panhandle). It's a plus that you have your own boat. Plenty of guys that dive, but don't have a ride of their own. You'll have new dive buddies in no time. Spearfishing...get a gun or polespear, whichever you desire to do the deed and have at it. Everyone starts somewhere, plenty of guys that do that too. My first GOM dive I brought a speargun with me. Good luck.
flyingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Trigger

I'm from Mobile but I usually launch out of Orange Beach so I could do whatever is closer, Dauphin Island or O.B. And I fully intend to take a speargun when I finally get to go. It may make some vets nervous to be in the water with a rookie with a gun but I'll be careful I promise.. :letsdrink I never accidentally shot anyone with my M16, I think I'll be ok with a speargun.

Anybody serious, please respond. Also, any dive location suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :bowdown
Old 07-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Trigger

Thanks for the reply, any suggestions as to guns? I've been told the metal ones are too loud. They're pretty pricy to just randomly pick one.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Sorry Jarhead I am out of Destin. Long haul with gas like it is. For the money I would go with an A B Biller 48" teak. I've had mine since 1990 and it still works like a charm.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Sailfish

48" Biller in Mahogany is a good choice (Cheaper than the teak but take care of it and it will last forever.). Go feel one at MBT!!! THey got some great deals too. I'll dive with ya too. I am booked up for the next 2 weekends tho but after that hit me up for sure.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Welcome Jarhead! You will find plenty of people to dive with, and postings on a regular basis of people going out needing more divers!

As far as a gun, I would definately recomend wood. MAin reason, is it is neatral underwater, and you can hold it out without any arm fatigue. A metal one, even a little 24" one, will wear your forarm out in a hurry!

Go with the biggest you can comfortably load, wich depending on your height, and arm length, ends up being a 48" for most people. I'm 6'1, with monkey arms, and like a 53" gun.

And you already got plenty of training with guns, and you gotta start somewhere! So don't let nobody give you crap about takin one. It's AFTER you shoot the fish were things can get more hairy!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Trigger

im sure you will find plenty of people to dive with, just post a week ahead of time that you are going and were to meet you and people will be calling left and right. as far as guns, get a wooden gun and choose the biggest you think you can load and then get the one bigger. im 6'4" and shoot a 60" sea hornet that measures 76" from butt to end of spear. i have to grab the bands then swing the gun into my leg to load it. but after you do it few times it is as easy as loading a big ass gun. its best to get the bigggest you can and then get a 42" for the back up. but as im sure you will hear, opinions are like assholes,you listen to what they say, but you dont like them.

Nothing spells love like steel through the brain.
Sniper Spear-It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Trigger

Thanks for all the advice fellas. And if anyone, 8 to 80 blind cripple or crazy, wants to go diving PLEASE let me know.:banghead Ima end up on 20/20 lost at sea if I have to go alone but if that's what it takes.:letsdrink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in