Dive boat insight - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Dive boat insight

Hello.

I am highly considering buying a Hurricane (Godfrey) Center Console (FD 231) 23' deckboat, as an all-around boat. Have any of you all ever dove out of one of these, or know anyone who may have had experience with them. Looking for some input. Thanks!

P.S. - Although I've read hundreds of posts before registering, this is my first post. I lived in GB, but the Army has me a few more years before I retire. This forum is GREAT, and I especially enjoy reading the insight from old salts like Sealark, and Evensplit, etc. just to name a couple......and then there's that crazy azz Clay-doh, who I look fwd to mtg in a few yrs when I move back to GB. Terrific bunch of folks here! Thanks again.:grouphug
Fish-n-Fur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Dive boat insight

welcome to the forum
biggamefishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Sailfish

First off, welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service. I know you'll be glad to move back to the area and enjoy the coast.That is if the darn weather will give us a break :banghead:banghead:banghead

As stated below, if you plan to dive from your own boat, which will most likely be in the Gulf, the Hurricane is abad, and potentially dangerouschoice.Fantastic lake boat and for skiing, but really not the best for the chop we have here so often. If you're looking for that style of boat, but want to get the most of it along the Gulf Coast, look at some of the dual console boats with a deep V hull.

Quote:
BeefDonkey (4/3/2009)Are you planning on taking this boat out in the Gulf? If so, not a good choice!
cuzmondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Grouper

Not a good choice it would beat you to death!get a deep v around 20' or larger I know where there is a nice 27' CROWNLINE for sale at for $20,000 (in my back yard :doh)
TONER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Grouper

Gents, thanks for the welcome, and the feedback.

ROGER, will nix the deckboat idea. Also need a boat that I can trailer...~20-24ft I'm thinking.

So, in a deep-V, I reckon I'm looking at something like a <U>&gt;</U>20ft Sea Fox or Proline to a Grady White...or the likes. Any recommendations for one that has room for storage and tanks/gear, room tomove around, handles great, and can be used for fishing and Scuba and maybe taking a cruise with my wife and another couple or 2?

Do most folks add a swim deck to these boats when used for Scuba - to board and roll off? And/or what kind/type of ladder setup would work best (ease of boarding) with this type boat? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Grand Slam

A deep V is your best choice for offshore. If you can afford one now is the time to buy one as people are trying to get rid of boats all over the place. There are quite a few on the forum for sale. As for a diving ladder here is a picture of what I built and have been using for quite a few years (Too many to mention). It's made from 1/4" aluminum and the hinge is made with Aluminum angle iron and a stainless rod. The ladder on the bottom is stainless. When you get underway you just pull the line and hook the loop over the cleat.Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Grouper

Nice and practical ladder Sealark.

So, I'll be looking for a deep V hull for offshore use. Any recommendaions on specifis boats to look at for combining fishing, scuba and family....i.e. one with room for gear, livewells/icebox for fish, and seating for at least 6-8? Not wanting to spend a fortune,just want a descent (used)multi-functional boat. Any recommendations of boats to do a search on is appreciated - Thanks!

JP
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Trigger

the best fairweather dive/fishing boat that i have found is the 20' step V wellcraft which is what i currently have and looks like from the transom pics, sealark also has. the deck is spacious and it handles seas very well. i had it in 3-5's on saturday, which is not enjoyable in any vessel, but she handles them like a big boat. i have taken 5 divers with all gear and steal bottles at one time (which is crowded, but doable). i have repowered it with a new 150 e tec
seanmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Grouper

Sean, thanks for the info and insight. I'll do a search and look into this boat. IYO, what other boats that you've seen out there would also make a good combo boat (fish/dive/family)? Maybe something witha cuddy for wind/cold/rain protection? (one of my family members has an allergy to the cold = hives/urticaria).Thanks Bud! JP
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Trigger

i like the 65' viking as a good combo boat. it has a nice cabin to get out of the cold. as soon as you buy it, give me a call and i'll help you run it if you pay for the fuel.

:letsdrink

haha

seriously tho, i have dove off of grady whites, they are good/heavy boats if set up right. also the seaswirl, proline and aquasports. as far as boats with a cabin just find one with sufficient power and a good/deep v hull and it'll do you fine. i personally like diving from the larger center consoles. normally you have a good staging area inthe front and places to put tank rails/roll controllers.

good luck on the search.
seanmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in