Decent shore dives in the Area FWB, Navarre, PNS - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 09-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Decent shore dives in the Area FWB, Navarre, PNS

Hi folks,

I've got a swedish friend of mine visiting me here in Navarre and I'd like to take him for a shore dive or two. I'm new to the area (3 months) but an experienced diver and PADI instructor. (inactive teaching status, but looking for a PADI shop to hook up with). Anyways, I've got a boat but am not yet ready to let it float without me on it. ;-) But I've heard that some piers and bridges make for not-so-bad diving in the area, but haven't gotten anything other than hearsay.

I'd love to have a few pointers for some shore dives suitable for the newly certified on up to medium experience level. I generally decline to go 'pleasure' diving with folks who are out of shape, so a longer surface swim to get there isn't out of the question. But with tides, waves, lots of hooks and fisherman around, I'd like to go somewhere where I can enjoy the scenery as well and not have to worry too much about my underwater company.

So, any recommendations from you bubble blowers out there?

I'd like to say, if any of you are in the Navarre area and meet up for dives, send me a note or put me on your list. I'd like to meet up...

Lastly, any recs for your local fav PADI center?

Regards,
philthefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Decent shore dives in the Area FWB, Navarre, PNS

phil,

A few buddies and I recently went out to the Navarre pier and had a good time. We are all new to diving and wanted an easy shore dive. We went out and around the new pier instead of going between them. The guys doing the construction asked that we give them plenty of room, so we did. Saw alot of critters while we were there, including a few too many jellies,:boo so I would recommend a full wetsuit. I would love to join you, but my schedule is jammed up and jelly tight for the next 10 days. Be no problem getting with you if you want to join us next time we go out. Probably looking at diving the Destin jetties next.

As for a dive center, gotta go with MBT in P'cola.

GAME ON!! Fishing Team
BLUEWATER 2350
Ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Grouper

Try the Navarre fishing pier rubble. It's holding a good deal of life Also, the Destin jetties is a beautiful dive, but long walk. Float your gear and pull it behind you is the easiest way. Lots of tropicals on them. Be sure to plan around the tides as it can get pretty nasty at times. Good luck!
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

The jetties at St Andrews park in Panama City Beach are also a great shore dive. Pensacola Fishing Pier is also a good shore dive.There are a number of great dive shops in the area, my business goes to MBT in Pensacola.
paulithepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Send a message via MSN to Razorback124 Send a message via Yahoo to Razorback124

Quote:
Ron19 (9/7/2009)phil,

A few buddies and I recently went out to the Navarre pier and had a good time. We are all new to diving and wanted an easy shore dive. We went out and around the new pier instead of going between them. The guys doing the construction asked that we give them plenty of room, so we did. Saw alot of critters while we were there, including a few too many jellies,:boo so I would recommend a full wetsuit. I would love to join you, but my schedule is jammed up and jelly tight for the next 10 days. Be no problem getting with you if you want to join us next time we go out. Probably looking at diving the Destin jetties next.

As for a dive center, gotta go with MBT in P'cola.

Yep, the navarre pier rubble was a perfect beginners dive. we saw some cool fish, a shark that apparently had a bad day.. (was completely severed in half) about 30 inches long or so.. few stingrays, lotts jellies, urchins.... went out quite a ways past the end of the pier and visibility was gettiin better, but not too much to see.

all in all its a fun beginners dive. very easy.
Razorback124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I second the navarre pier. I free dive it quite a bit while the wife lies on the beach. If you are lucky, there is a sea turtle that likes to hang out by one of the old pilings. Most of the time he is just sleeping and doesn't mind if you go up and play with him. I've seen him there at least 3 times.
Naptown Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Mingo

HI guys,

Well, the weather has not cooperated much the last few weeks, but I think we are going to give it a shot this weekend. Anyone up for a shore dive or two?

Phil
philthefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Snapper

I might be able to get out. Where you plan on going?

GAME ON!! Fishing Team
BLUEWATER 2350
Ron19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in