Birmingham Blue Water Rock Quarry - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Birmingham Blue Water Rock Quarry

Well my buddy has been telling me that I should go check out the Rock Quarry in Birmingham, so since I was already in Tuscaloosa I decided to make the hr and half trip up to the Quarry. It was nice to be able to get my gear out for the first time this year and just check it out and make sure it's good to go before I get into the Gulf and hopefully do some spearfishing. The Rock Quarry gets up to 140ft, but the section that I was inwas around 90 ft. The water temp was the coldest that I had ever been in, at 51 degrees. I wouldn't recommend making a special trip all the way up there from Pensacola, since it'd be about 5 hrs or so, but ifur going to be up that way definitely look it up online and go check it out.

kennethmandel62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Birmingham Blue Water Rock Quarry

Wooooow nelly! 51 degrees? Man, that's dry suit temps. Is it that cold year round or just in the winter, andwhat did you wear? It does appear to be a pretty site, though.
Florabama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I did my OW certification there summer of '98. The surface temp was around 80, but there was a wicked thermocline that dropped down in the 50's below it. You had to suit up in 2 piece 6mm suits and hoods up in the parking lot and walk down what seemed like a bunch of steps to get to the water. Still a pretty neat dive when your landlocked. Thank God I live back down here now!
aubfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Snapper

Yeah with my 6mil two piece along with my hood made it not too bad. I didn't know until I got there and bought my tanks that the temp was as low as it is, and I was pretty damn intimidated by it. The coldest I've ever been into prior to this, was just 68 at morrison.The thermocline was pretty intense. It felt like a 20 degree difference between maybe 5 feet of water. I may be exaggerating that a little, but it sure did seem like it.
kennethmandel62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Trigger

That'll make you appreciate the good ol' GOM! Glad you found a way to get wet even all the way up there:letsparty
UnderWater Angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
Snapper

That's about as cold as I've dove and I've only done that a few times. That kind of water is painful, but they tell me dry suits can keep you nice and toasty.
Florabama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I have dove this quarry many times, and yes the second thermocline is usually what gets people. There is a lot to dive in this site though. Two sail boats (one large one and a small one), a school bus, various small vehicles, a pile of swim through concrete pipes, two fire trucks, etc... and if you can sneak down a bottle of cheeze whiz the fish around the submerged training platforms go absolutely NUTS!
downLOWEdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Grouper

The OLE ultimate rock quarry.

If you folks are refering the quarry in Pelham. Ole bluewater park. Years ago they used to let people swim and drink adult beverages. Local radio stations and bikini contests,Man that was the place to be on weekends!!!!!!!!!!!!!They let you jump off of bout a 60 ft. cliff. and there was that big tire that floated in the water. Had all the party docks out in the water,Man those were thedays.I used to live up that way and swam in many rock quarries. Never did scuba dive.
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in