Advice on getting back into diving - need to know. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 07-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Advice on getting back into diving - need to know.

over 10 years, I am PADI certified and still have all of my equipment that I bought in the late '80s. (I know that most of you are probably younger than my gear). Its all ScubaPro and is in like new condition. During the time I was diving I was certified for advanced diving, cave and wreck diving.

Here's the question, I want to brush up, do you know of anyone offering a refresher course, not the full blown course but just some open water training to get me back up to speed.

Also, I have tanks from the early '90s, they have never been hydro tested. 2- Super 80's and a Super 100, do they go out of date? Or can they still be hydroed and used.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Advice on getting back into diving - need to know.

MBT runs refresher training along with our regular openwater classes every week. We start a class every Tuesday evening and it runs through Sunday. You can decide how much of the class you want to do, but if it's been 15 years or so since you've been diving, I'd recommenddoing the whole thing as there have been some changes.

Your tanks should be fine. Bring them by the shop and we'll take a look to make sure before we send them out for hydro.

Jim

MBT Divers

3920 Barrancas Ave. Pensacola

(850) 455-7702 www.mbtdivers.com

Jim Phillips
Lost Bay Designs™
Custom Screen Printing
Vinyl Graphics
Promotional Products
www.lostbaydesigns.com
Evensplit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Danno (7/4/2008)over 10 years, I am PADI certified and still have all of my equipment that I bought in the late '80s. (I know that most of you are probably younger than my gear). Its all ScubaPro and is in like new condition. During the time I was diving I was certified for advanced diving, cave and wreck diving.

Here's the question, I want to brush up, do you know of anyone offering a refresher course, not the full blown course but just some open water training to get me back up to speed.

Also, I have tanks from the early '90s, they have never been hydro tested. 2- Super 80's and a Super 100, do they go out of date? Or can they still be hydroed and used.

They are most likely still good, the date you have to look out for is mid 80's, then you have a problem for sure. A refresher course and a few open water dives and you will be as good as before. Also have you regs and bc serviced by an authorized dealer.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Well alright Danno! Gettin back in it!

I believe it is only hte Luxfors and Walter Kiddies from a certain date range that would have to be scrapped.

Sounds like MBT has what your looking for as far as refreshers! Good luck man! You just gonna start diving again, or get into spearfishing?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Snapper

Thanks Clay, just put new bands on my old JBL Pro Magnum and on my pole spears. I'll get by dive shop next week.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in