5 weeks for hydro? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default 5 weeks for hydro?

Well, it's now been 5 weeks and Dive pro's still has not called to tell me my Hydro is done. If you ask me...5 weeks is way to long for a hydro...I could have shipped it to china and had it done faster. MBT..I'll defenitely see you next time.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Default RE: 5 weeks for hydro?

Let me know if they charge you extra for the visual inspection too. I had one or two tanks have the hydro and one just needed the vis, when all was said and done i was charged for two hydros and 3 visual inspections. I thought the visual was thrown in during the hydro since they have to look it over in order to do the hydro. At least that was what I've had to pay for in the past.

Gene
jstbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Grouper

Hydro is a send out test that is done at an outside facility so sometimes it can take a little longer than normal to get a bottle back. A reasonable expectation is a day or two for just a VIP and a week or two for Hydro. Generally the VIP is thrown in with the price of a Hydro. O2 cleaning can take a couple of days as well. Hope it all works out for you.
spearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Snapper

Quote:
jstbad (10/15/2007)Let me know if they charge you extra for the visual inspection too. I had one or two tanks have the hydro and one just needed the vis, when all was said and done i was charged for two hydros and 3 visual inspections. I thought the visual was thrown in during the hydro since they have to look it over in order to do the hydro. At least that was what I've had to pay for in the past.

Gene
last time i checked with Dive Pros they charge seperately for hydro and a vip when sending tanks out for hydros. it is cheaper at MBT and it does not take as long.

Dive Team Member
reefcreature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Yes, I found out the hard way; I didn't ask what I thought was an obvious question and it cost me.

Gene
jstbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

you can have your own hydro done at most fire extinguisher places and usually in 1 to 2 days if you can drop off and pick up.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Mingo

Don't know if this'll help... I'm not a diver,(use tanks for portable air)but Hiller Systems on Fairfield does hydros on fire extinguishers and have done tanks for me before.
captjoshrozier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Grand Slam

yes Dive pro's does charge seperately for a viz and a Hydro...If you ask me it is a rip-off. I understand some things are out of the control of the dive shop...but they got you by the quavo's and know you only have a few options. I wish I could find a dive shop who would be reasonable in their pricing. Why can people buy things online for a third to half the price as a local store? I don't buy a bunch of stuff but when I do...I'll have to seriously consider online if the local shops are so high!
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
jspooney (11/6/2007)yes Dive pro's does charge seperately for a viz and a Hydro...If you ask me it is a rip-off. I understand some things are out of the control of the dive shop...but they got you by the quavo's and know you only have a few options. I wish I could find a dive shop who would be reasonable in their pricing. Why can people buy things online for a third to half the price as a local store? I don't buy a bunch of stuff but when I do...I'll have to seriously consider online if the local shops are so high!
Dive shops have overhead and stuff to pay. Luckily they are here when you need them for something. Also, if you want the warranty, you got to get it from an authorized dealer or you get no warranty. With my kind of luck, I'll spend the extra dough and have the warranty.
theangrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Dive shops are one of the great ripoffs of the world. They hide behind price fixing practices that are thinly disguised to keep just on the right side of the law.

Hint: Next time you need a Hydro (and yes, you do need them), look at the authorized list available on the web and just take it there. 1-2 days, done, without the second markup.

BTW, VIPs are a dive shop invention. Under the law you need hydros to transport or use cylinders in interstate commerce, but guess who came up with the VIP. Yep. This is not to say they aren't a good idea - but the "mandatory" nature came about with absolutely not one scintilla of actual evidence that it improved safety.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in