3mil 5 mil or just stay in the boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Scuba Forums > General Scuba Chat

Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default 3mil 5 mil or just stay in the boat

well i have got a trip to go for some tuna and groupers lined up forthursday as long as the forcast is good. i am thinking of taking the tanks and gun. what ya'll think i need. all i have is a 3mil,i do have a hood also. the boat is a30 ft cuddy and it does have a heater and portable heater (mr. buddy)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: 3mil 5 mil or just stay in the boat

Everbody is different when it comes to cold. I personal would need my 6/6 Farmer Jon for the water temp now. If you have a shorty but it on over your full suit and it will help some. Just add some more weight if you add some more suit.
Capt. AHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

I personally wouldn't go unless I had on 7mm with a hood and all.

From Telem Piscus' report the other day

"I had put two wetsuits on to give me 10mm. I was nice and toasty. Jeff on the other hand forgot a key piece of equipment to make him warm. You know the hood. He mans up and we head down."

Telem Piscus

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl11_lblFullMessage>"Well jon pretty much summed it up with out making too much fun of how cold i was. and to forget my hood as well. Damn those three dive were cold."

Sniper-Spirit</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
naclh2oDave (1/20/2009)I personally wouldn't go unless I had on 7mm with a hood and all.

From Telem Piscus' report the other day

"I had put two wetsuits on to give me 10mm. I was nice and toasty. Jeff on the other hand forgot a key piece of equipment to make him warm. You know the hood. He mans up and we head down."

Telem Piscus

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl11_lblFullMessage>"Well jon pretty much summed it up with out making too much fun of how cold i was. and to forget my hood as well. Damn those three dive were cold."

Sniper-Spirit</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Yeah, Dave pretty much summed up my response to your post for me. I can dive in the winter with just my 7 mil and a hood. But I am nice and warm with both my 3 and 7 mil on at the same time. I did not get the shivers once while underwater. We were out 26 miles and the surface temp was 63 degrees. My computer read a minumum temp of 59 somewhere on my dive. Everyone is different when it comes to the cold. But I can honestly tell you that unless you have some super human mind trick to block out the cold. Your body is going to freeze in a 3 mil suit out there right now. And a 5 mil is going to be just enough to make you wish you had more neoprene.

So if I had the option of A: 3 mil, B: 5 mil, C: stay in the boat.

You better believe, my butt would stay in the freaking boat.

Now if we add option D: 7 mil with a hood. Then we can talk about getting in the water this time of year.

A hood is one of the most key pieces of equipment to keep you warm in the winter. You loose a good percentage of heat through your head. Just ask Sniper-spear-it about our trip. He manned up and dove without a hood. I think that is the last time he ever does that again. I thought the man was going in to convulsions, he was shivering so bad.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Grand Slam

With a 3mm single piece suit you will have about 5 min max before you freeze your ass off. You need a 7mm farmer John with a hooded vest then you will have about 30 minutes at about 80 feet. A 3 mm suet at 80 feey will be less than 1mm thick. Good luck...:banghead
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

If you don't have at least a 6 mil farmer and jacket and hood and gloves I would stay my happy butt in the boat also.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Grouper

I'm fine in my 5 mil with a hood. I think a 3 mil will be chilly unless layered up with a hooded vest

Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

7mm and hood. Nothing less. Even with that it gets a little chilly at times, but not bad. And I were thick 5mm boots too by the way. Rememebr, cold can lead to much faster case of the bends!

Good luck if you do go!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

This time of year I used to wear a 1 mil under a 5 mil under a hooded vest and was ok, while in the water. But topside is a bitch wet and my bottom times have gotten much longer. Now I dive dry and will never go back to wet in the winter; I no longer dread surface intervals and/or slipping back into a cold suit! I can handlethe "wimp" comments when I'm on deck toasty warm and everyone else is shivering. :toast
JSeaWach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Grouper

You can always just rent a 7mil for a couple bucks at MBT. You can get a farmer john 7 mil. Just food for thought

Pierce07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in