UNOFFICIAL PFF SHARK TOURNAMENT REPORT - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fishing Tournaments > Post-Tournament Discussions

Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default UNOFFICIAL PFF SHARK TOURNAMENT REPORT

The tournament went great. I'll let everyone add their own report, but here is ours. We made it out at about 7 on friday and didn't get anything going all night so about 2 we went and slept until 5. Got to our secret spot that everybody knows about and put out the rods. 5 mins after we put them down the 6/0 is screaming. Couldn't give the fish any slack so we couldn't get hooked up with the circle hook. After a nice splash of menhaden oil my Tekota is screaming. I tried my best to give it slack, after my spool was about empty (all 400 yards of 150 power pro) I came tight. FISH ON!! We had to cut off the anchor and chase him a little bit and keep him out of the motor and off of the hull. After 45 mins and about 3/4 of a mile we see it come up. Yessss!!!! it's actually a shark and I'm not getting my butt kicked by a redfish. Got it tied up and drug him for a bit and then pulled it in the boat. Got back to Mcrae and got a quick measurement and it was 68'' to the fork. Konz and Clay showed me how to clean it and thanks to clay and I think it was bladeco that let me use their knifes. Well we decided to take it easy and wait to collect our winning prize. We got bored so we went down the beach to catch some spanish and then anchored up for some more sharking. Kanemano comes on the radio and says they have an 8 footer. No way. After a while the measurement came back at 68 and 3/8 inches!!!!! we got knocked into second by 3/8 of an inch :banghead Now the board was Kane in first, fishwerks in second and chunky love in third with their wimpy blacktip oke

That's pretty much how it ended. Thanks to Get'n Wade, second and third got some great prizes!! Its great to have another 6/0 Here are some pictures

JoshH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: UNOFFICIAL PFF SHARK TOURNAMENT REPORT

How could I forget about the JAWS music? I'll let someone else explain that
JoshH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Grouper

We left sat afternoon don't offically know who won yet, But it was a blast! I'm glad we drug something to the beach after talkin so much crap the past 2 years! We pulled ours from around a wreck a few miles offshore after chumming about 45 minutes my boys flea market 12/0 started clickin. She put up a good effort but with 150 power pro and some heavy gruntin Lil' John managed to bring her to the boat in about 25 mins. Hellthe real fight was at the boat she raised "kane" thats for sure. Guess I was a little excited about the orginal estimate they always look bigger when your the one doin the catchin oke Anyways as was the last event, this was one great time for everyone. It was nice to meet everybody special thanks to chum-chum for the bags and the supportalso to konz for helpin clean the beastie. Thanks also to Clay and theChunky crew for kinda keeping things organized. Here's a few shots.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Sailfish

About 2:00 am Sunday morninginside the pass Sniper and I had enough chum in the water sharks in Orange Beach could smell it. Wham!! Penn 50 starts screaming, I pick it up pop the hook 3 time to get a good set and was not prepared for the other end of the line to start running out. It striped a couple of hundred yards off the 50 before I could get him stopped. I worked him hard for about 45 minutes, finally got him coming to me. I know he is a monster and in the back of my head I'm counting my cash from winning the tourney. Well I am bringing him up close to the boat when he decided he wanted know part of our tourney or playing the staring role in it. He takes off deep and fast, shoots under my boat so quick I could not keepthe lineout of the outdrives then he was gone and I was left with no rigging.:banghead

It was such a rush fighting one that big that I was not mad about what had happened, just dissapointed. By far the largest fish I have ever hooked and fought. An hour later drag starts running out but alot slower than before. I reel it up to find a Bull about 3'.
Getsome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to bladeco

This Tournament was a blast even if our team got skunked out. Not a single bite and we had the same baits and sam eplaces others where fishing so goes to show that it is still all luck. Like I said it was a blast. I know friday night my team was beat to hell from work so we fished a little bit and came in to get a good meal and hit it hard Saturday . On our way back in we get stopped by the Game Warden andhe did everything but aboards us. I know he was just doing his job but damn you don't have to think everyone out on the water is poaching or breaking the law. Seems like he was on a mission to hammer someone. well one of my team mates had his license but didn't check the expiration date and it expired a month ago so he let him go sincewe were not fishing at the time. my buddy went and got a new license Saturday morning so we were legal again. Well our damn camp stove/grill was so old that friday night it wouldn't work so we had to borrow some german exchange pilots grill to cook our steaks which by the way frank if you are on here thankyou very much for letting us use the grill. After eating and meeting everyone that showed up friday night my team was bushed for the night I still wanted to fish. SO GeneratorManokeoffers to let me fish off his boat when he went out since he was by himself pretty much. wellhe forgot his shark rigs no big deal I have all that stuff so I hook him up with the gear. we push off of Fort Mcrae and he runs us aground on the sand bar and he has to jump out and push us off, can you see how this is going already a big comedy of errorsHAHA! BUT!!!wait the best part is comming up HE FOR GOT HIS BAIT AT HOME IN THE FREEZER LOL :doh:dohclap:clap what kind of shark fisherman don't bring his bait. I got a good laugh out of it it. I wish I would have had a camera to have the pictures of the spanish sardines we were trying to pile onto the hook since he forgothis bait. it was all good still had fun I love being out on the water. Saturday up early and we hear that clay and konz hooked up on a little blacktip. about the time we get some eating breakfast wishiniwasfishing pulls in with his hammerhead. We get ready and head out to do some fishing head to a spot and achor up set the slick and had a good mix of bait out. 6 hours and nothing. we head back to Mcrae and get some food and reload the beer machine on the boat. Never did make it back out got too dunk and the sun zapped my energy out so we did some surf fishing down by the jetties. nothing really to report a few bites mostly rays and blues.Hey Clay those Shark nuggets were awsome!! anyways had a great time out there and it sucks were didn't hook up but thats the way it goes. At least I brought my bait and tackle to the shark tourny with me.oke Thanks for the great time all. time to go get some rest after the wind came up on Sunday Morning.:sleeping
bladeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Trigger

Send a message via Yahoo to GMan

Well I knew this was going to be the highlight of the day. Coming home sitting down after cleaning all the gear and reading Jays report. :doh

OK i will admit I will need to get a check list started for sure. Im not going to come up with an elaborate excuse. But I will give it a try. Note the pregnant wife, the ill three year old and the worked ass off friday.:banghead I was lucky to even get to the camp.BladecoI am so sorry I dragged you out, I owe you another trip.Next one willbe better. Thanks for going out with me though.

Ona different day. We get up and I take the youngest son to the baby sitter.:baby Next we setout of the passwe doin it now. Anchor up and set out the chum the oil and the dead. We are going to catch a shark. 3 hours later seas building, we up the anchor and drift. Nothing! Make my way over to Pickens, wife starts chumming:sick. OK whats worse than a pregnant sick woman ona boat? ..... MMMmmm...NOTHING. So I head on in, :letsdrink

I had a blast and wish we could have caught something. Over all lessons learned and nobody got hurt. Cant wait till the next time. I will have that list by then..lol
GMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Praedator
Grand Slam

So did kanemano's shark win????? As I was leaving, Matt (Ocean Man) called on the radio saying that he had a contender and was on the way back to McRee. What's the scoop on the final results. It was great to put some new faces to the screen names. Nice to meet you Generator Man and sorry that you were stuck on the beach with me drinking a beer while all your gear/bait was at the house.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
Sailfish

We had a great time out there with everyone.

We didnt catch a shark, or even hook up with one but it was fun being out there. It was nice to meet everyone who came out.

Congrats to the winners!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Grouper

I had a good time meeting some of the guys out there, I wasn't able to get any fishing in, but it was fun hanging out with everyone. Clay did a great job cooking up that hammerhead. Generator Man, thanks for the glow stick for my kayak, that came in pretty handy in the blackness of the night I was paddling back in. All in all, it was a great time at the beach.
flyingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to bladeco

Ah its all good Generator. I had to give ya a shot in the ribs. Hey it happens all the time no worries. He look at it this way I forgot the sh*t paper here at the house so it could have been a really bad weekend if one of my teamamtes had not brought his. I have done it and so have many others man we will make it out sometime. I was just glad to get out meet some new people and have a good time. would have been nice to caught something but hell you can't do it all at once sometimes. next time though I will get on the board at least. I have not heard who won yet officially. I know we left early due to my teammates tent blowing down( thank god I brought my tent! It is designed for high winds and going up on the mountains so I was nice n dry and it didn't even ripple in the wind haha) I spent the better part of the morning when I got home cleaning the boat out. All those fish parts and chun and god know what else that was all over the deck was starting to rot and the smell was terrible. dawn dish soap and some bleach made it go away somewhat. I think it is just going to need to rot out eventually and washed away over time. anyhow gotta go talk to you all later.
bladeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in