Shark Tournament - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fishing Tournaments > Post-Tournament Discussions

Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Shark Tournament

We had a crew member fall in fighting a tiger shark. Landed him and fish. We had about six runs Friday night and three Saturday night. The tag stick was busy. The camera got ruined(doesn't do well in pocket of swimming fisherman) so there went tag and release confirmation.
Moving Expense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Shark Tournament

Got on the Whale Shark Friday afternoon, caught 2 cobia off him not big about 30lbs each. He came up and pushed our boat around, that was wide. Got my sonon video patting him on the head.Tagged a small tiger (100lbs) and sandbarthat went maybe 250lbs.Had a big fish around the boat but he woughtn't take a bait. Brought ina181lb nurse shark.Couldn't get outSaturdaynight to rough for us.I'll post the video when I figure out how to.

You can't eat Horns
Jaw Jacker
Jaw Jacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Grand Slam

We it it out on friday evening after the meeting. Not a bad ride to the spot, but the seas kicked up over night :banghead Nothing all night, in the morning about 0900, got a strong bite, fought the fish for about 1 hr and 45 minutes. here is a 9 ft close to 10 ft Silky shark....:banghead:banghead Not a weighable fish (took pictures with my buddies camera on this one and a few other sharks) will post them when he gets them to me. Caught a total of 6 sharks, I only took pictures of 2 with my camera.. My buddie fell on Saturday afternoon, broke his knee open, we called it about 10PM Saturday evening.

Good time, wish the seas were not like they were.....

Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Went out Saturday early caught 2 bulls in the afternoon...moved further out after the storms passed got set up around 6pm. Caught a small tiger and another bull back to back around 2-3am released both maybe we should have kept the bull but decided to wait on Mr. Big. Got one more big run on a whole Cuda frayed the 250# braid lost him. Had a ball but need some new knees thanks to those waves. See ya next year.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Grouper

We got out Friday right behind Jaw Jacker seen you at the dock. Got to our spot right at dark. to say it was a bit choppy is an understatment. Caught 2 small ones a beautiful tiger pup about 4 ft and a small bull. Just as we got that all cleared we had a nice fishon for about 15 minutes ran to the boat and shook the hook. Ran from the afternoon squall and reanchored at a different spot closer to shore Sat. night. Lost another small Bull at the boat. No other action from there. Wave action beat us up pretty good so we called it quits Sun. morning. Had a good time just not the bouncin part.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Sailfish

We left the capt meeting and finished up getting everything together on the boat that night and set the alarm for 2 am. Never really did get to sleep from the excitement. On the water at about 3:30 and headed for 3 barges. Turned on the underwater light and put out 3 rods and sat down listening for a clicker at about 4:30. Shortly thereafter I see the line on the 30 going in a little bit different direction than the other 2 rods. Pick it up and investigate. Fish on and running. We cleared the other rods and settled in for the fight. After maybe 10 min and almost dumping the 30 twice broke it off. Couldnt believe it but set right back up and put everything back out. No more than a few minutes later the line on the 30 is doing it again. Gave him a little slack to make sure he got the Owner in his face real good. Fish on again. After fighting it for a good 30 min and realizing I could use a good harness because the little rod belt we have wasnt doing much for me I start gaining pretty good. We get color after a while and get the big nurse shark up next to the boat. Decided it was coming back with us just to be safe and get on the board. We found out that it is not easy to tail rope a nurse shark, theres not much to grab onto. The fish was pretty tired out so my dad grabbed the tail best he could and I put the rod in a rod holder and leaned over and started making wraps and knots and hitches and stuff around the shark. Cleated all the lines off and got everything back together on the boat and got ready to bring the fish on the deck. When the nose was up against one side and the tail was pushed up hard against the other side I was pretty excited to weigh it. I was thinking 180. Made a nice slow ride back to the scales. Weighed in the first fish of the tournament at 164.2 pounds. MyAmy brought in their hammerhead right after us and showed everybody a real shark. That was a big fish. Sunday we headed out before daylight and got out about 10 miles and set up a chum line. It was a fun ride out in those seas :boo We chummed hard for a few hours just to have flipper eating the snapper out of the chum kind of messed things up. We decided to call it and hope that my 164 would hold up in the JR angler. Kind of wondering if there is any official results? Anyway it was a fun tournament. Thanks to Tommy and crew and Outcast.
JoshH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Grouper

Glad everybody had fun. I don't agree with the unnecessary slaughter of critical apex predators, but I do understand the thrill of the hunt and the apparent victory of the catch. If you were able to eat them (which you don't, though you could) or could say that "culling the herd", or "population management"improved the viability of the population (as you can argue for deer hunting, which I love and support) then fine. In this case, it's just a testosterone driven, fear supported lust for taking a shot at what scares us most. If you knew them, you would love them. These are magnificent creatures and deserve our respect and protection. Catch and release would be fine, like we do with billfish and other beautiful creatures, but hanging them up by the tail and letting them spoil in the summer heat, science or no science, is unexcusable. I'm not faulting the scientist, mind you, because they are taking advantage of an otherwise unfortunate situation to glean some scientific good. Otherwise, it's a waste, plain and simple. These creatures don't deserve to die. Let's find a better way to utilize the resource and still have fun. Just my $0.02.
flappininthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Quote:
flappininthebreeze (8/10/2009)Glad everybody had fun. I don't agree with the unnecessary slaughter of critical apex predators, but I do understand the thrill of the hunt and the apparent victory of the catch. If you were able to eat them (which you don't, though you could) or could say that "culling the herd", or "population management"improved the viability of the population (as you can argue for deer hunting, which I love and support) then fine. In this case, it's just a testosterone driven, fear supported lust for taking a shot at what scares us most. If you knew them, you would love them. These are magnificent creatures and deserve our respect and protection. Catch and release would be fine, like we do with billfish and other beautiful creatures, but hanging them up by the tail and letting them spoil in the summer heat, science or no science, is unexcusable. I'm not faulting the scientist, mind you, because they are taking advantage of an otherwise unfortunate situation to glean some scientific good. Otherwise, it's a waste, plain and simple. These creatures don't deserve to die. Let's find a better way to utilize the resource and still have fun. Just my $0.02.
dang.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Quote:
flappininthebreeze (8/10/2009)Glad everybody had fun. I don't agree with the unnecessary slaughter of critical apex predators, but I do understand the thrill of the hunt and the apparent victory of the catch. If you were able to eat them (which you don't, though you could) or could say that "culling the herd", or "population management"improved the viability of the population (as you can argue for deer hunting, which I love and support) then fine. In this case, it's just a testosterone driven, fear supported lust for taking a shot at what scares us most. If you knew them, you would love them. These are magnificent creatures and deserve our respect and protection. Catch and release would be fine, like we do with billfish and other beautiful creatures, but hanging them up by the tail and letting them spoil in the summer heat, science or no science, is unexcusable. I'm not faulting the scientist, mind you, because they are taking advantage of an otherwise unfortunate situation to glean some scientific good. Otherwise, it's a waste, plain and simple. These creatures don't deserve to die. Let's find a better way to utilize the resource and still have fun. Just my $0.02.
The meat went to help the Zoo of Northwest Florida so it was far from wasted --it went to serve an underfunded public resource.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Snapper

Quote:

Aww that's cute. I watched a little shark week too.
Jhoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in