Northlight Challenge - Red Snapper tournament - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fishing Tournaments > Post-Tournament Discussions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By catdad100

Old 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Northlight Challenge - Red Snapper tournament

Fished this with the Wife Saturday and caught plenty of snapper and gags all day but no snapper big enough to make the board. This is the second time we fished it since it started 3 years ago and in my opinion its a well ran tournament and low entry fee. It was advertized on local radio stations and I even think it was on a billboard so with the good seas forecasted we were thinking there would be at least 50 boats if not much more as there were 35 boats last year when the seas were forecasted and were in fact ruff as crap(so we stayed home) so Im at a loss to explain how there were only 24 boats total. Was it Billy Bolegs,the economy,aliens,The Masons,Cia?
Attached Thumbnails
Northlight Challenge - Red Snapper tournament-snapper-1-jpg   Northlight Challenge - Red Snapper tournament-snapper2-jpg  
The LaJess II likes this.

Last edited by catdad100; 06-12-2014 at 03:25 PM.
catdad100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

George Bush's fault

Last edited by clunan1; 06-11-2014 at 03:44 PM.
clunan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
White Marlin

Yea buddy!! A tall cold one and a limit of snaps.... Don't get much better than that, except if the limit were to go up!!

Sent using tapatalk

MC ...sharing is caring!
Mac1528 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Thanks for fishing it CatDad. I had blast - I was your weighmaster and tournament director - but I cannot explain the low number of boats for anything.

We've always been on Bowlegs weekend, gas prices have sucked the past three years and we had aweseom weather forecast. I'm at a loss.

We'll make some minor changes, tweek a few things and see what shakes out for next year.

Glad y'all hada good time and I hope to see you on the board next year on the first Saturday of federal snapper season for the tournament.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Trigger

Default Northlight

Glad your gonna still have it we were afraid this would do it in. Other than cobia tournaments and Big Mac classic there isn't anything in this area. We fish the rodeo but it's pretty lame as far as private boat side I've been on rules commitee 3 years now and they just don't care about the private boat side we r the red headed step kids plain and simple. One thought I've had is to promote the king Mack side of it as would appeal to more folks that just don't have a secret giant snapper spot(which apparently I don't have either) but I'm not sure how u would go about that as I said earlier u have thought it out pretty good and it's layed out well.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Sailfish

Congratulations to all the winners. Seen some really nice fish brought in.

Snapper bite was finicky Saturday. We worked hard for the ones we got. Our heaviest was 10lbs.

JoeZ sorry I didn't get to say hello to you before we had to head to the hill. You were really busy and didn't want to interrupt you.

JoeZ I think what hindered signup this year was not having pre-registration. I do know of 2 that could not fish it because they could not make it to the Capt.'s meeting due to family obligations and work. I don't know for sure if that played a big part in others signing up but maybe next year can do a 2 week in advance pre-registration. That may help with bringing in more boats to fish the tournament.

It sure enough was a beautiful day for the tournament and as always we had a good time fishing it. Can't wait for next year.
The LaJess II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad100 View Post
Glad your gonna still have it we were afraid this would do it in. Other than cobia tournaments and Big Mac classic there isn't anything in this area. We fish the rodeo but it's pretty lame as far as private boat side I've been on rules commitee 3 years now and they just don't care about the private boat side we r the red headed step kids plain and simple. One thought I've had is to promote the king Mack side of it as would appeal to more folks that just don't have a secret giant snapper spot(which apparently I don't have either) but I'm not sure how u would go about that as I said earlier u have thought it out pretty good and it's layed out well.
I'm in agreement with you on Destin Rodeo. Have fished it for many years but don't think I'm going to waste my time this year. Is the rumor true that this year the private boats are going to have to weigh their fish in by 5:00 pm and if they don't they have to wait until Charter boats are done weighing in?

We really enjoy fishing N. Light it is just a really laid back fun tournament.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Trigger

No its worse than that its 4pm. or all private boats move to back of line from 4pm-7pm person with vhf on docks is supposed to take you time in line and species to weigh in so if there is a tie you still get credit. Im gonna post how it went down and basically air my greviances over the whole issue in the near future as Ive been on the rules committee for the last 3 years trying to make things better and have a pretty good handle on it. Originally it was just 5pm and privates done and was voted on and in place before our first and last rules meeting and it went over like a turd in the punch bowl so they came up with this and voted it in later and just canceled the 2nd rules meeting as they just didnt want to hear anymore about it,yep 2 more hours for charters with us competing against them in open divisions and them already fishing twice as many days,yep that sounds fair.

Last edited by catdad100; 06-12-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Sailfish

Well they want be getting my money this year and quite a few more. They can just let the Charter Boats have it and see how that works out for them. If you pay to enter into a tournament it should be fair straight across the board. No favoritism. They will loose a bunch of entries due to this rule. I heard this from several people and thought to myself no way. Thanks for confirming this. Helen will get a email from me tomorrow and I will express how I feel about it. She can pass it along or not but I'm going to tell everyone that I know that fishes it every year so they will have a heads up. Hopefully they will express to them how they feel about the rule also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in