Our Annual Cape Scallop Run - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Out Of The Area Reports > Inshore Reports From Out Of The Area

Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Our Annual Cape Scallop Run

For the last three years River Runner and I along with our family and friends have enjoyed a few days gathering scallops off the pristine grass beds of the St Joseph Bay. This year seemed to the best for scallops since my first time outing but I believe I said that last year…Maybe experience is the reason I dunno but seeing the crabs molt with the males in hot pursuit was an added bonus along with the other sea life presenting.
RR and I have arrived a day early for the last three years with boats in tow and the majority of the groceries that will feed our Motley Crew for the next three days...
First day we scout and scout till the scallop honey holes are nailed down and GPS numbers are dialed in. Now, the crew arrives on the second day evening and dinner is prepared as the excitement builds for the next day of scalloping...
After our crew is rolled out of bed the following morning and a trucker’s breakfast has been served, boats are loaded with enough food and refreshments for a full day as we are on a mission to get our limit of scallops. Around 2:30 p.m., our limit has been gathered and the scallop cleaning party begins along with ribbing of who did or did not fill their bag of the tasty morsels…By 3:30 p.m. with several freezer bags of fresh scallops shucked, we head to our favorite sand dollar hole and do the jitter bug dance on a shallow sand bar lifting the sand dollars to the surface with our toes until our sand dollar bags are full…We then race to our awaiting bay side dock and unload, shower and enjoy an evening of food and dance at a local er’ road side eatery that originally served as a gas station and store…A one man outside band has us all dancing the night away after our fill of oysters.

Nothing better than a few days in the Cape to reset the mind…

My wife's camera became wet somehow during a down poor (she blames me cause the dry hatch leaked ) and all I have are a few pics off my cell phone...My son Derek filmed some under water video I'll try to post later.

The view from our Bayside Porch over looking Pig's Island
Our Annual Cape Scallop Run-img_0010-jpg
T
he meadows of the St Joseph Bay with Black's Island in the distance
Our Annual Cape Scallop Run-img_0012-jpg

My son Brett and his girl with our catch first dive
Our Annual Cape Scallop Run-img_0014-jpg

Some of the Motley Crew after a night of dancing and carrying on
Our Annual Cape Scallop Run-img_0037-jpg

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Grouper

Looks like a fun time had by all. Glad ya'll enjoyed it Jimmy.
lingfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

I remember last July around those Big Bend grassbeds the water was like being in a warm bath. Good to see how healthy the grasses still look. Wish there was more of that around Pensacola.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in