Nice weather and fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Out Of The Area Reports > Inshore Reports From Out Of The Area

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By capthoop

Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Nice weather and fishing

I had nothing on the books and I asked my neighbor if he wanted to kill some trout. My wife wants to bring some fish to Kentucky when she goes up there. I was feeling good about getting a nice catch. Right off the bat I miss a definite trout. A few casts later and we have our first yellow mouth as they are called.

The morning went slow. I knew they were here but the tide was wrong and the water was a bit dirty. I hit the area most of the morning. About 10:30 I decide to leave the area. We have 6 trout, 2 sheepshead and a small flounder in the box.

Looked like I made a left turn when I should have turned right. Bad call for this area. As I was leaving I noticed a patch of clean water around a small island in the distance. I had never been in this area so I eased in and started fishing. First cast nice trout. It did not take Ralph long before he said "Now this is fishing". We were getting a bite almost instantly on every cast. All we did was fish this island. Along with some very good trout we also found some redfish. I had the pleasure of fighting and landing a nice bull red but Ralph's picture taking ability leaves a lot to be desired. We picked through some rat reds but still put some slots in the box. Ralph had to take a break occasionally. Around noon He told me he was "fished out".

We had a good amount of trout in the box and some redfish and sheepshead to go along with them. Our disastrous day was saved by me observing different conditions as I was running. About 8 miles from Joshua's Marina I notice 2 guys in an older boat with the motor cover off. One guy was paddling as best he could. They had already contacted the marine division and their ETA was about an hour. I had them call back and cancel the assistance. I carry a bridle just for situations like this. I had the big guy get on my boat and was able to tow the boat in at 18 to 20 mph running 3600 rpms.

We had 35 trout, 5 redfish, 2 sheepshead, and a small flounder.

Today my wife (made me) go back out and see if I could find some more fish. Things started out good as far as bites but I lost my first 5 fish. 2 were trout for sure and my sixth bite revealed what the other fish was. This was my second biggest sheepshead so far this year. I finally got into the hook setting mode and put a pair of trout and another big sheepshead in the box.

The bite was slow but steady enough for me to fish it hard. I had to weed through small trout, a lot of rat reds and hardhead cats. I did find 4 trout, 2 very nice sheepshead, and 4 beautiful redfish.

The bite was over just before 9:00. I toughed it out until just after 10:00 I decided to make a very long move. As I got closer the water was dirtier than I had been in the last 2 days. The closer I got I saw a few boats fishing and getting trout. I eased my way in using the trolling motor. I had a place picked out but somebody cut me off. I just put the power pole down where I was and proceeded to catch trout. The problem was these were smaller than I was getting as a rule so I had to measure and throw back a lot. I was soon at 24 trout but a rip moved in and ended the bite.

I had a box full so I decided to head in with 24trout, 4 redfish and 2 sheepshead. On the way in I decided to check out a place I used to fish in English bay. I went in with the big motor and shut it down. I picked up a Vu Du shrimp setup and made a cast. A bull red crashes on the cork just after it lands on the water. I made another cast and come in with a small trout. 2 casts later I have my limit of trout with my biggest of the day. Once again back in just after noon. Another successful haul

Back to back days almost the same all the way to the final board. The spring bite is on!

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Bigdady likes this.
capthoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
Sailfish

Awesome board capt!
70 Wellcraft 17' (sold)
80 Starcraft 16' (sold)
bcahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahn View Post
Awesome board capt!
Two different boards. Back to back days.

Thank you.
capthoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in