mdrobe2 Grand Isle charter awesome trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Out Of The Area Reports > Inshore Reports From Out Of The Area

Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default mdrobe2 Grand Isle charter awesome trip

Guys I am going to commit a cardinal sin and post a report without pics. I had my digicam with me but left the memory card in my computer. I bought a disposable camera at the Sureway grocery store in Grand Isle. I will get the pics loaded onto a CD tomorrow when I get them processed, and will post them then. So, with that out of the way, on to the report!

I fished with Captain Dwayne "D" Price, known as Dee. His website is...

http://www.dreamcatcherfishingguide.com/

(225) 572-8927

I flew in from offshore Monday and was thinking about a trip. I made a post looking for fellows to fish with me on my charter adventures, but this trip was spur of the moment. My girlfriend was out of town, so I had no reason to be home. I went to the Century 21 office on Grand Isle seeking local knowledge of guides and places to stay. They sent me to a local marina. I will post the name once I get the pics and remember what it was. I think it was called Bridge Side Marina. They had hotel rooms, so I got one, and I called the guide they recommended. I hated to do it, as I research guides a lot before I book, but I figured in Grand Isle the fishwould be plentiful and easy to find and catch. The guide I called was booked, so he sent me to a buddy of his, and I am so glad he did. I can not imagine a guide being better that the one I fished with. We fished live croakers on Carolina rigs, and we wore the fish out. We released 4 reds over 27". keeping our legal limit of two over 27" plus 4 more under 27", but not by much. It's a good problem to have when you cast and your bait gets eaten by a red before you even click the reel into gear and you just hope the fish is under 27" so you can keep him. We also caught 10 trout, with 6 of them being over 3 pounds. I caught the biggest one- 25" and 4 pounds 12 ounces on the scale at the marina. I also got a flounder, which gave me an inshore slam. The guide gave me a rate of $200 dollars since I was by myself and only wanted a short trip. He was game to go as he scouted the previous day and caught 50 specks while fishing with a fellow guide. We worked some spots along the beach.Fishing in the Gulf for specks is definitely a Louisiana experience. In Grand Isle the shorebound anglers can drive theirtrucks on the beach and they moved in on us some even though they were wade fishing and we were in a boat. We were catching fish and they weren't! The guide was schooling me pretty good. He kept catching specks and I kept missing fish, or catching catfish and wasting bait. Bad thing about Grand Isle is you have to wade through the cats while pursuing specks. Good thing is once you find fish it is nonstop action. I got broke off A LOT by the bulls. We were fishing tiny Okuma reels on 7 ft. rods and 12 lb. test with a tight drag. I kept wanting to loosen the drag but my guide helped me realize I would never land a red if I kept my drag loose- they would spool me! It was a little rough, andI was worn out fromstanding in the boat and fishing in rough seas for several hours, but my guide convinced me to keep fishing till we ran out of bait. We used 75 live croakers. My last bait of the dayresulted in my near 5 lb. speck. I am here to tell you seeing a truly big speck once you get it close to the boat is unreal. She looked like an ax handle. Even the guide was flipping out over the size of my last fish. Another boat was pulling up and the guide welcomed them in to the spot since we were getting ready to go and they looked like weekend warriors. We probably ruined them, as it was after 10 am, and the bite usually slows down around then, but they saw us catch that stud, so they were hooked, so to speak. As an aside note, the fishing bridge in Grand Isle burned down on the 19th of September. It stood for nearly 75 years, was lighted for night fishing, and was a well know local honey hole. Truly a shame that it burned- they say it was an electrical short. Pretty rough- the fire dept. had trouble fighting the fire because they had to spray water from the other bridge and couldn't reach the fire that engulfed the creosote poles of the bridge's base. They saved part of it, but not much, and it is owned by the state, so I don't know if they will rebuild. As another aside note, the shrimp poboys at The Starfish restaurant are pretty good. Dress it with pickles, mayo, and lettuce, and douse well with Louisiana hot sauce. I can't say enough about how much fun I had, the quality of the guide, or the fishery itself. What a great time. I actually had to take breaks for water while I knew the fish were biting every time I threw a bait. The guide was laughing at my fatigueafter battling red after red. What an experience! Call him and book a trip. You will not be disappointed!
Garmin 540S GPS/Bottom Machine
Sound by Clarion and Bazooka
Coastal Night Lights Transom LED's
Minn Kota Riptide Co-Pilot/Auto Pilot GPS Enabled Remote Control Trolling Motor
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: mdrobe2 Grand Isle charter awesome trip

Here are my pics guys. They did not turn out as well as I had hoped in terms of showing the size of the fish, but we were using a disposable camera, so you get what you pay for. Hope you like the posts and the pics anyway. It was a GREAT trip with a great guide.

I am 6 ft. 190 lbs. if that helps the scale. I know those Crocs are ridiculous, no need for comments! The flounder is the shadow between the two reds on the right. It completed my inshore slam.

That's a big speck above. I don't know if that is mine or the one the guide caught, but mine was 4 lbs 12 oz and his was 4 lbs 4 oz if I recall correctly- fish were in the 2 foot long class!

Above is a typical red from our trip. We had to let four of them go since they were over 27 inches, but they sure pulled on that light tackle!

I put that electric fillet knife in the pic above to add scale. All those trout were over 3 pounds. The largest is my 25" 4 lb. 12 oz'er.

One last image of a big ole trout...

I hope you all enjoyed the photos and the post. I am sorry the quality was not what I hoped for but it was a disposable camera and I had to scan the prints. The pics do not do justice to the fish we caught and the fun I had. Call the guide and book a trip!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz

Nice job man!
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Sailfish

Thanks very much for the reply Konz. Hope to fish with you one day.I know we have some mutual friends...Ultralite for example.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
eating tasty
White Marlin

Those are some fat specks! I'm gonna have to give LA fishing a whirl one day... thing is as soon as I get off of work there I want to get away from thereand back to here as asap
FenderBender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Sailfish

Thanks for the reply FenderBender! That is one hell of an AJ in your pic. I hear you on wanting to get home, but the LA fishing is the best!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Trigger

Very nice....:clap
Last Drop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Sailfish

Thanks Last Drop!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
JEC
Ruby Red Lip

GOOD JOB MIKE!!!Looks like you had a good time.Don't let it go to your head, I can still school you in fishing.(just kidding your are the man when it comes to fishing):bowdown
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Sailfish

Thanks JEC. Make sure you come by and get some fish. I was up past 2 am last night vacuum sealing fillets with my Food Saver (gift from my bro' in law, Gary- awesome device). Ask your GF and your parents if they want specks, reds, or both. The reds are on the half shell and the specks are filleted and skinned.I made the drive from Grand Isle to P'cola in about 4 hours- not bad. Tell your DadI have some red snapper, tuna, and AJ left. Best prices in town- free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in