Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Out Of The Area Reports > Inshore Reports From Out Of The Area

Like Tree13Likes

Old 11-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana

Belfor invited me to go on our annual two day fishing trip to Happy Jack (Port Sulphur, LA) and allowed me to bring two guests. A total of 12 anglers in four boats were scheduled.

So my oyster eating / fishing buddies FishnLane and Aqua Huntress accepted the invite. We left Pensacola on Sunday, November 22, with fishing days of Monday and Tuesday the 23rd and 24th in our dreams.

We decided to take the scenic route, and ride the Point la Hatch Ferry across the Mississippi River, instead of encountering the New Orleans traffic. That will be my new route to South Louisiana, as it did not add any travel time, and it was a beautiful drive.

I got to see the court house in Point la Hatch, which fell victim to Hurricane Katrina. What memories I have in that courthouse. Haha.

We got to the camp on Martin Drive, owned by the guide Brad early in the afternoon Sunday, with plenty of time to sit on the docks, enjoy some suds, and watch the sun set, while contemplating the next two days of COLD Weather, Shallow Water Fishing.

Monday morning arrived and it was freaking cold, the wind was hollowing from the North big time. The four boats were assigned to the 12 anglers, and we drew the owner of the guide service Brad.

We worked hard that day, running from shallow water pond to pond, but we managed our limit of 17 Red Fish, (5 Per Person, with one per person over slot). We also picked up a few Speckled Trout and a Black Drum. Of course there were many Rat Reds returned to the water to grow-up for next year’s trip.

When we returned to the camp, we learned that not all boats caught the limit, and we were hailed as a great team. Dinner that night included fried fish, fried shrimp, boiled shrimp with the fixens and a sack of oysters. The oysters were all placed on the grill, as no one wanted to open cold oysters. Night time came quick, and I was fast asleep by 7 pm, dreaming of a warmer day number two.

Day two was warmer, and the wind laid down. My team got to fish with Brad again, and off we went 50 MPH. We were picking off the Reds with ease on this second day, with a spec here and there.

We were on a nice pond, when two of the other guides called and stated the specs were on fire at the sulphur mines, with 70 specs each per boat. Brad suggested we haul butt, but my team members liked what we were doing. Many many rat reds, with a keeper here and there. We had ten slot reds at that time.

Once that bit died down, we hauled butt at 50 MPH (these boats ran baby) towards the sulpher mines. By the time we got to the Sulphur mines, the wind had picked up, white caps were growing, and the bite turned off. After 15 minutes of this, we decided to get back inside the protection of the marsh and hunt some specs and reds there.

We stopped at two or three locations with about three casts per each, and then left as nothing was jumping out the water.

And then we found the Glory Hole at the third spot, and it was on freaking fire. Each cast produced a hook up. It was 1:50 PM and our trip was to end at 2 pm, where we would meet up with the rest of group at the camp, clean-up, settle-up and head home. Brad asked, “Are y’all in a hurry to leave”, and my hard core fishing buddies and I agreed, HECK NO!!!

So it started, an hour an half of constant and serious catching. There was this one hole, cast towards the white pole Brad said, and we pulled Red Fish to finish off our keeper limit of 15. Also about 50 Rat Reds, 70 Speckled Trout were kept, some Black Drums, Sheepheads, and two monsters, one Black and one Red.

Hahaha, Brad gave Stephanie such a hard time, as she wanted to keep the Sheepies. (In Louisiana, they are considered trash, and no one keeps them). So we kept about 4 or 5 convicts, and then Brad said that is enough. The fish box was full, and the fish were then kept on the floor of the boat.

All cell phones on board went dead, as the battery life expired, which were our only electronics on board. We were unable to inform the others why we were not at the camp on time. We pulled up to the camp at 3:45, and one of the other guides was still there, waiting to help Brad clean the 100 + fish.

This is how the catching went:

One of us would throw to the hole (you know, towards the white pole), hook up, and then the second team member would throw, and then the third, double and triple hooks were the normal. When I would reel my fish in, standing on the bow, I would pass the line to Brad.

The second he took the pressure off by grabbing the fish, I would open the bail, ready to cast. He would have another live shrimp ready, de-hook the fish, (keep it or not), hook me a new shrimp and off it went. It would hit that water, count 1,2,3, FISH ON!!

Man this was so exciting, for the three of us. Needless to say, we did not take a break during this time. When all the fish were cleaned and bagged, my one ice chest was not large enough to hold the fillets. So off to the store we went to purchase another ice chest, for the Ferry ride home.

Everytime I go down there, and then leave, I think, there can never be a trip as good as this one. Haha, that is what I thought last year.

Thank you FishnLane and Aqua Huntress for three days of constant laughter!!
I could not have had a better team!!

A BIG "Thank You" to Russel and Chris of Belfor for you most “Gracious Hostness”

Enjoy the pictures and Stephanie’s video she constructed!!
MaxxT likes this.

Last edited by BananaTom; 11-30-2015 at 10:06 PM.
BananaTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Grand Slam

I Love they way we run
through these little canals at 50 MPH,
with the swamp grass flapping at the gunnels!!

Great Job on Video Steph!!

Last edited by BananaTom; 11-30-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-0-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-1-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-2-jpg

Last edited by BananaTom; 11-30-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-4-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-5-jpg

Caught a Prop Struck One, sent to Doctors Office

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-6-jpg
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-9-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-11-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-13-jpg
Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-16-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-17-jpg
Old 11-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-19-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-20-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-22-jpg
Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-24-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-25-jpg
Old 11-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Default Day Two

Day Two

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-1-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-2-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-3-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-4-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-5-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-6-jpg

Lots and Lots of Fish!! ~~ With FishnLane & Aqua Huntress, South Louisiana-7-jpg
Downtime2 likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Sailfish

Looks like a great trip, but cold.
tbaxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in