Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Out Of The Area Reports > Inshore Reports From Out Of The Area

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Sheepshead25

Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season

A few buddies and I decided to saddle up the ole Key West last week and drive the trail of tears down I-10 and the turnpike towards Marathon to dabble with mini season for the 4th year in a row. We have always been successful in the Key Colony Beach area and this year was no disappointment as far as the bugs are concerned. Fishing was a different story...

BUGS (Lobster) - We were just shy of limiting both days. Most of the bugs this year were REALLY small and the keepers were somewhat hard to come by, but they were around if you worked for them (which we did). Big Pine Key area seems to be the hotspot this year with most boats out of Marathon making that 30-40 mile run. If your considering heading down for regular season, consider the Big Pine, Little Torch or Cudjoe Key areas to have the best opportunity to fill some coolers. We snorkeled for them with Hookah's and would have undoubtedly limited out if we were diving (lots of bugs holding in 12-15').

FISHING - Rough as it gets this year for dolphin as far as Marathon standards are concerned. Prevailing west wind all week killed the dolphin bite as there were few formed weed lines / rips to be found..just scattered mess which made trolling impossible. The humps held fish but were mostly schoolies with few tuna to be found. The boats that found fish got lucky and came across some floating debris.. right place at the right time. The reef bite was pretty good for mang snappers but you had to chum them up hard and very few yellowtails pulled in.

Overall, great trip with good people and we will be back again next year.. let me know if anyone else on here went down... would be curious to see if your report echoes this.. some pics hopefully posted below..

Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season-keys-bugs-6-jpg

Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season-keys-bugs-4-jpg

Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season-keys-phins-1-jpg

Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season-keys-sandbar-1-jpg

Keys Bug Hunting- Mini Season-keys-bugs-3-jpg
Don White, bowfisher91 and MrFish like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

Nice !
Did you take your own boat or rent when you got there ? If you rented, where did you rent from ? We are doing our first Keys trip next month and I don't want to haul my boat that distance.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

We towed the boat...wasn't too bad. Then again, we did stop in West Palm on the way to stay with my brother for a night so maybe it just seemed not so bad. Only one flat in Defuniak on the way out and a lost bearing buddy on a the way back and we are home safe!!!

As for renting, in Marathon, I am pretty sure Captain Hooks B&T rents boats. Great location right there between the gulf and atlantic at Vaca cut. Also, vacation boat rentals seemed pretty popular while we were down there.. http://vacationboatrentals.com/.

Have fun, its paradise down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Someone get me a cup of melted butter!!! Looks like a good time was had by ya'll!!!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Grouper

Looks like you had a blast! Great report and pics.
OHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in