Few Days in Ft. Myers Huge Snook!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Out Of The Area Reports > Inshore Reports From Out Of The Area

Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to amberj
Default Few Days in Ft. Myers Huge Snook!!!

I went down to visit some family that has recently moved down to the Ft. Myers area. Did some fishing, eating, and a hell of a lot of drinking!!! First day we went out with my cousins friend on his boat to a place called New Pass to do some snook fishing. Never personally done any snook fishing before but let me tell you. I am hooked for life now. We caught several snook that day with one being in the slot size to keep. That snook cooked up real nice, we grilled some and broiled some and it was awesome. Kinda the texture of grouper. We saw a lot of the sites and the greatest tackle store by name I have seen. I even got a shirt from there. Did I mention we did some serious drinking, I need a few weeks for my liver to forgive me after that trip. We fished the second day at a national park called Lovers Key, they run a little tram out to the beach and then you are right there on the water ready to fish. The second day no snook, but the coolest thing is where we were standing you could watch the fish come up on your bait. Basically standing on fallen trees right over this 16ft ledge down into the water, you could see tons of snook down there swiming around. They are real finicky eaters, they only eat when the tide is moving pretty good and they dont move much. Kinda lazy fish but well worth fishing. COme to find out getting a slot size snook is pretty hard to do and it happened on my second cast. I was happy as all get out. The second night we hung around had some drinks, i played guitar and we did some singing and chilled out. The water was crystal clear and we saw tons of manatees, aligators, all kinds of birds it was cool, but a different kind of cool than here. All in all it was a great trip, and cant wait till i get down there again. I am posting some pics of different things we saw and did.

This is some of the mangroves outside of the creek where we kept the boat. Let me tell you something you have to really know your stuff to run a boat down here the channels are all jacked up and some places you are doing circles to follow the channel markers, if you dont you are going to end up on an oyster bed.

That was a speed limit sign. THere are speed limit signs in the channels everywhere its 25mph.

THis was a little bait store you can get to by boat, this place is tiny and all he sales is a little bit of tackle, charts, cigars, cuban coffee, and live bait. Talk about the life!!

THis is New pass and the water beyond you see is the Gulf. Everything down there is really shallow, for every mile you go out into the gulf you only get one foot of depth.

THese are some guys that were fishing right across from us tearing the snook up as well!!

My slot size snook, ended up being about a 7lb fish. I was happy as all get out!!!

This is a real tackle store down there. I bought a t-shirt and they have a pretty good selection of tackle. Everywhere down there sales live shrimp and live pinfish, and you better get there early or else they are gonna buy you out of bait.

The tram at lovers key that will take you down to the beach.

Lovers key Park

Lovers Key Park

The Gulf Of Mexico at Lovers Key

You really cant tell by the pictures but this wasa sea turtle nest that all the babies had dug there way out and down to the water, you can kinda see where they dug out and there little fin prints.

This is just one of many osprey nests that we saw!!

Drunk playing the guitar after a long day of fishing. Bring out the rum and lets party!!!

My Cousin and I drunk as hell!!!

this is the shirt I got from Master Bait and Tackle

this is one of the other t-shirts they had at the Master Bait and Tackle shop

Let me tell you, the trip was great and couldnt as for a better time. Just way to short of a trip, but hell ever hear of anyone saying a trip was to long when you are fishing and having a great time!!! Hope you enjoy the pics!!!
amberj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Few Days in Ft. Myers Huge Snook!!!

pretty cool report:clap thanks for sharing your visit on here and congrats on the snook...always heard they were good eating...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Grouper

Really nice area. I was there in October for my sister-in-laws wedding at Lovers Key. Didn't get to fish but I will next month. Good report.
Trble Make-rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

That seems like a really fun trip. I've thought about going down south with my kayak to do some snook fishing myself. What did ya'll use for bait?
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to amberj

Live shrimp, live pinfish, xrap lures, you want to use a lure that make a lot of vibration, you also want to fish an incoming tide as well. Use at least 30# fluro with no swivel tied to braid because they go crazy when you hook them. Dont use a swivel they wont bite it, everything you use has to look as natural as possible. A kayak would be perfect to use
amberj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Grouper

congrats on the snook, Looks like paradise.
tailfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Snapper

Great Snook Jason! Looks like you had a great time while you were not fishing too. I almost miss my last job a bit as I was able to spend weeks down in that part of the state. S. Florida on the gulf coast is not so crazy as the "other side". Nice job once again, makes me want to head back down there!
d45miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
Snapper

where's the huge snook???
NavySnooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Sailfish

Great report...Its great to get all that info and the cool pictures..Thanks brotha and nice snook
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
White Marlin

Awesome report brother........That looks like it was an awesome trip. I have yet to go snook fishing, guess it's about time
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in