Pond survey - with shock boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fresh and Brackish Water > Fresh and Brackish Reports

Like Tree15Likes

Old 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Pond survey - with shock boat

Had been on the waiting list for the Univ. of Tennessee Fisheries to come out survey fish population and balance in our pond for a couple of months. This was an owner participation (netting fish) and was well worth finding out after seven years.

What to find out:
1) What is the balance of bream to bass
2) Are the sizes and density good for the 4 surface acres
3) How good/bad is the feed stock population (fingerlings and flat head minnows)

Initial stocking was 3000 bream in Nov 2011 and 300 F1 largemouth in May 2012. Subsequent stocking included a couple of hundred hybrid bluegill and 10's of pounds of flat head minnows over several years.

The good news: I have plenty of large bream. Plenty of bait fish.
The bad news: I have too many large bream. It's preventing the bass from getting really big. Lots of 1-2 lb F1.
All fish were released.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond survey - with shock boat-ut-extension-boat-2-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-1-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-2-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-3-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-4-jpg  

Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-5-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-7-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-survey-8-jpg   Pond survey - with shock boat-ut-extension-boat-jpg  

Last edited by Reelbait; 11-05-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Reelbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #2
PDC Fishing Team
Sailfish

I just so happen to specialize in large bream removal services.....

Great info!

"....during the public comment period that followed, comments were overwhelmingly opposed to the proposal. As a result, NOAA fisheries reopened the public comment period for and additional 15 days, but there was no change to the results. The regional administrator of NOAA Fisheries announced that the recreational greater amberjack season will close for June and July as scheduled..."
swhiting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
DLo
White Marlin

Time to put in some work with some crickets and the bream buster, get those numbers in line and get the grease hot

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”
-Winston Churchill
DLo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Snapper

sounds like a few fish frys ought to fix that
CalvinandHobbes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Trigger

What'd they say about your bass population? We plan on having ours done next spring.
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Trigger

We didn't see any really big bass. He said they hear the motor and get out of range of the electricity. This was the first time any motorized boat has been in the pond.
The electrical probes are good for about 6 ft down and 6 ft out. The original generation of F-1 fingerlings should be pushing 7 yrs old. Only one bass this year over 4 lbs was caught. People were fishing about 45 days+ days this year and around 150 lbs of large bluegill were removed and about 25 lbs of bass.
Bottom line: I need to have even more feedstock in the pond in either more bluegill minnow, more flat heads or may consider adding shinners.
The pond has been fertilized 3 out of 7 years to bring up the photoplankton levels after the winters rain.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Sailfish

Thanks for sharing! I have a just over 1 acre pond and I have been curious about my bass to bream ratio....have LOTS of big bream, but the quality bass numbers (bass in general really) have been declining. Sounds like I need to rid the pond of a few 5 gallon buckets full of those big bream. Another thing I have more of than I probably should is turtles - you could near about walk across the pond at any time on the shells of turtles. I presume they are decimating the fish population??
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
Sailfish

my friend, dr. overstreet, had three ponds, 2ac, 4ac., and 10 acres. he would stock 100 tilapia every spring. in jan. when the water temp. hits 50, the tilapia, which were then about 2lb. would sink to the bottom and die, then float to the top where the buzzard feasts began. one year, i netted about 40 when they started swimming slugishly and starting to sink in the shallows.
you might want to try this method. i caught many 4-5 bass in the 4ac pond.
released of course. the bream were not as big as yours, either which means like you said, no bass food stock. those shellcracker and bream in the pic are quite large. so, no food for the bass.
my uncle stocked golden shiners in his pond in crenshaw county and ruined it. he would pay me to fish out the 1lb shiners cause they were too big for his bass population.

jack
Old 11-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
Trigger

I asked about the fisheries expert about turtle population in our pond. We have a number of 8-12 in mud turtles in the pond and seemingly more every year. And if shocked, most don't float up.
He explained that ponds reach a "max capacity" of turtles then they start moving elsewhere. And they know when it is reached. Turtles provide more benefit than damage to ponds by eating any dead fish and plants.
For my turtle and snake control, pond banks are a 3:1 slope that I mow down to the water's edge with a bushhog. This allows hawks to scarfe up an occasional snake or small turtle. Also I see raccoon tracks along the bank and an occasional turtle shell.
Reelbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

Why not stock some mudbugs, crawdaddy's, crayfish?

As for ya'lls turtles, they can decimate fish beds while in larvae and fry state. I keep a friends ponds rid of turtles with a 17hmr and occasionally shoot them with a 12ga. The only good pond turtle is a dead pond turtle.
Bodupp, jack2 and DMC like this.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in