Mullet, specks, and reds - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Fresh and Brackish Water > Fresh and Brackish Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By fishwalton
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #1
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Default Mullet, specks, and reds

Managed to crawl out of the sack early enough yesterday and have a line in the mullet hole a little after 6 o'clock. This was a solo trip. Another boat got there a few minutes after I did. I fished until 9:15 and quit without getting a single bite. Same for the other boat but they stayed with it after I headed to the hill.

Called a couple of our club guys who were fishing specks/reds at the river delta. They were in Mitchell River and reported several short specks and reds, and two keeper specks. They went on to bream waters after the sun got up a bit and kept 10 bream and sheelcrackers.
Another club couple fished Hogtown a few days ago and had a good bit of activity. They brought home four really nice keeper specks.

I can't figure specks in this hot weather/water, but apparently a few are being caught. I have rarely fished them this time of year.

Anyway, this morning we will start off with specks, but taking the bream buster to use after the sun gets up a bit and the speck bite stops. No matter what we won't be staying out there long after it gets hot.
Bodupp, olegator and gator75 like this.

Mullet Fishing
http://www.waltonoutdoors.com/hook-a...bay-estuaries/

Panhandle Outdoors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1LPbFJqR0

Last edited by fishwalton; Today at 04:45 PM.
fishwalton is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 09:13 AM   #2
Trigger

Appreciate the report and info from other fishing buddies. Cheers.
Unread Today, 03:55 PM   #3
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Failed to connect this morning although we saw the sun rise over the cypress lined shoreline. Fished the same areas as my two friends did yesteday (one with me today), but the speck bite was nil. They caught a bunch of shorts and two keepers. This morning it was one short speck and that was it.

However, we experienced a phenomenon that neither of us had ever seen on Choctawhatchee Bay, and we have fished the bay since we were kids.

We were in the Mitchell River/ Jolly Bay area and noticed water spray flashes in the morning sun far across the bay toward Cypress River. We figured 'birds' but the distance was too great to tell for sure so headed that way. Sure nuff, a huge bunch of birds and pelicans were having a feast and didn't pay any attention to us as we slowly approached.

Right off we began hauling in fish....but they were saltwater catfish. Thousands of them! They circled the boat right up to the sides. LY's were flying everywhere and birds were diving only feet away. They were so thick I actually fowl hooked several We just looked in amazement and were so focused I completely forgot to grab my video camera. What a photo op missed! Dang. Of course this lasted only for maybe a minute or two , and they began to calm down and move away. When I remembered the camera it was too late.

We ended the day with six small bream for river catfish cut bait, 1 short red, and a bunch of salt cats that were released. Just one of those off days for catching, but still blessed to be able to get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
God is Great!

Mullet Fishing

Panhandle Outdoors

Last edited by fishwalton; Today at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Today, 04:09 PM   #4
Trigger

Nature is amazing. Glad you got to see some first hand.
~JOE~
Unread Today, 05:44 PM   #5
DMC
Grouper

I'm guessing you were in the mouth of Mitch. Caught a lot of lady fish my last time.
DMC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:52 PM   #6
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
I'm guessing you were in the mouth of Mitch. Caught a lot of lady fish my last time.
Plenty of ladyfish yesterday at Mitchell mouth, but none today. They are great fun to catch if they don't cut your line.

Mullet Fishing

Panhandle Outdoors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in