Where's the pipeline? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Where's the pipeline?

I posted this on the offshore section but realized it should be here on the blue water.

We made another trip sunday looking for the pipeline and failed to find it once again. We did some deep drift drops and finally caught 2 tiles and 1 snowy grouper, hardly worth the gas we spent on the 150 mile round trip looking for it. The bottom machine showed flat sea bed everywhere, including the numbers pre-loaded on the gps and the numbers we got on a store bought map.
Does anyone know of a web site or map that has accurate numbers for locating the pipeline that they are willing to share? It's starting to look like our deep dropping days may be a thing of the past if we can't find something to fish on. Even though we didn't accomplish our mission, the water sure is beautiful out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
frydaddy
frydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...rdinates-2705/

Judging by this thread, you'll have to hunt for it.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Tangle Master
White Marlin

Are you talking about the pipe line that runs from TX or La (cant remember which one) to south Florida? The pipeline itself is buried. All that is above is the concrete pillars for it. We hit it once off Alabama. I will have to find my other map to get the coordinates.

We got to fish it once for about ten minutes then all hell broke loose and our hour and half run out turned into a 5 hour slow boat ride back in. We did catch three monster red snapper in that ten minutes.

Check the Hiltons map, thats where we got our coordinates. If i remember right it was 30-35 miles south of Orange Beach.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Snapper

PM me an email address. Not quite sure what you're looking for but I have something that should help.
PurpleNGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

If you are at the Florida, Alabama line just due north of the pipeline there is allot of live bottom that will produce more fish much easier than trying to drift the pipeline.

I will post the details when I get them off the boat.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Grand Slam

The pipeline should be preloaded any of the charrtplotters.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
eating tasty
White Marlin

What I'd kill to find is the wellhead assembly coordinates for Petronius, 255, and the others out there. Anybody work for Chevron offshore that could access them, they'd be gold. I imagine the Petronius assembly is anywhere from 500 to 800 ft somewhere nearby.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Trigger

Default Pipeline coordinates

If you waste fuel looking at Hilton and other publications you will be sorry. As was posted above the pipelines are on the maps but the maps don't tell you where they are submerged which is not their job. They show you where it runs and thats all. The valves which are covered by steel cages is where the action is and I've never seen coordinates for those for security reasons they will probably never be published.
capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Trigger

Default Pipeline coordinates

That's just what we did sunday, burned a lot of gas and an entire day. It's our third attempt to locate a part of it and never never found a valve or inspection cage or whatever you call them. Have the hilton map and the pre-loaded gps. The two are off but we followed both lines, went back and forth, tried everything to locate something and never did. We went from where it's supposed to be on the edge out to 800 foot of water and still didn't find anything.

I know it's supposed to be buried in 300 foot or less, never dreamed they would bury the entire thing across the gulf. Still would think the valves and whatever would show themselves somewhere on the route.starting to wonder whether the electrics were a wise investment or not. Maybe we should just try fishing the drops on the ledges.

Thanks for the responses and who knows, maybe the next trip will be the one to find something to deep drop.

Frydaddy
frydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mike View Post
If you waste fuel looking at Hilton and other publications you will be sorry. As was posted above the pipelines are on the maps but the maps don't tell you where they are submerged which is not their job. They show you where it runs and thats all. The valves which are covered by steel cages is where the action is and I've never seen coordinates for those for security reasons they will probably never be published.

Ohh But they can be found.

Joey Welch

Blazer Bay 2170 Yamaha 200

jlw1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in