sunday at the spur - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Snapper

Default sunday at the spur

my fishing buddy(pelagicone) and i got a late start on sunday morning and left perdido pass around 700 sunday morning. we were originally taking some family out to troll a little bit and bottom bump but they backed out so we decided to go trolling for the day. i didnt have any good shots from hiltons the last few days and it was too late for a roffs so we just went out blind. stopped at the nipple and dropped in lines for about 45 minutes. water did not look that good so we moved on. headed out towards the spur and started seeing some boats around and water getting a little cleaner. on the way there were some nice tuna freejumping. these looked in the 50-80 lb range. several looked pretty good. they sounded though by the time we got over to them. we trolled a rip a couple miles northeast of the spur. the water was green with just a hair of blue in it. we were cruising along when the port rigger pops. my buddy and i looked over at the reel and she started screaming. he grabs it and i keep the boat moving. the fish must have pulled out 300 yds of line when i see it jump several feet out of the water way the hell out there. and just like that she had spit the hook. i think it was a white marlin but it was so far out i am not real sure. it was the first billfish we had ever hooked so we were pretty pumped. it hit a yellow/green islander with ballyhoo. we moved over to the contours of the spur and found another rip. the water was dirtier over here, fairly clean green. we worked it and started seeing some tuna again. a flatline with purple/black bonita goes off and i grab the rod. fight the fish and get it fairly close to the boat and it spits again. didnt get to see this one. time to sharpen the hooks. we get near some of the tuna and i threw the popper off the bow and hook a fish and it winds up being a huge bonita. we troll a little more with no more luck and start heading in. found a huge log about 20 miles nnw of spur and pull a couple of chicken dolphins off it. head to the yellow gravel to bottom bump for a little bit and a storm decides it is going to head ene for the gravel and the edge. watched it for a minute on the xm weather and decided it wasnt meant to be. put the throttles down and rode the edge of it and watched two massive waterspouts on the way in. even though the water wasnt great there was a good bit of bait around.
sail7seas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: sunday at the spur

Sounds good! Thanks for the report.
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: sunday at the spur

Once you get that billfish in the boat you will be obsessed with getting another one. Thanks for the report.
Sir Reel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in