Spooled - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Spooled

After getting a nice wahoo on Monday I decided to go out again to troll the Nipple to Elbow area for more wahoo on Thursday, 10/27/11. History repeated around midmorning and I put another wahoo in the boat.

Trolled for a long time getting a bonita with a big school rising to the surface. Then I found a scum line with the first birds I had seen all day. I saw some small fliers running for their lives with yellowfin in pursuit. Trolling through the area resulted in a yellowfin a couple of inches over the Federal minimum.

I then trolled around this area for a while and lost view of the scum line so I climbed up on the cobia tower with the autopilot remote to try and pick it up again. I wasn't up there but a few minutes when line started ripping off the reel. I climbed down and picked it up and pushed the lever to full drag as the line was still leaving quickly. I slowed the boat's forward motion and commenced really fighting the fish. I regained line and then the fish started rushing the boat. I reeled like mad and sped the boat up a little. All the time the autopilot was keeping the direction straight. The fish picked up speed and appeared to be diving deep as I could not regain line but the fish was still gaining on the boat. Then it passed up the boat and was ripping line again. I sped the boat up to 10 knots chasing the fish. Then it slowed and started to go straight down under the boat. It was now down to the bottom of the 100lb spectra with only a few wraps left. I put both thumbs on the sides of the spool with the rod resting on the side of the boat to apply maximum pressure. The fish which had been going in line with the boat went under the boat and was exerting more pull than I could hold. The spool slowly creeped forward down to the light mono used to cover the spool. I took my thumbs off the spool because I knew the mono wasn't going to make it. I was surprised when the knot broke at the spool rather than farther up the mono. A small tag of the spectra remained on the mono. This rig had been set up by a local tackle shop. The reel was my son's. I was a sorry puppy that when I had noticed how little spectra was on the reel on Monday that I hadn't added some mono the day before. It would of helped to have more drag as well. So can anyone guess what I may have hooked? I think it was a good sized yellowfin. They always get the weak sister. Why didn't it hit the TLD50LRS, or the Penn 30II, or even the Tiagra 16?

Tough end to a fine day; but I will return after I stop crying!!

Bob

Last edited by BajaBob; 10-28-2011 at 08:42 PM.
BajaBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Mako???
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Trigger

Man that's the thing about offshore fishing, ya' just never know what's next. I hooked up something big and deep (200') a few weeks ago; I finally got tired and just stuck the rod in an outrigger/rod holder for the fight. About 20 minutes of fight later, it decided being hooked wasn't cool and snapped off 80lb mono like it was nothing. It stayed nearly straight down, coming up to maybe 100' before tiring of the game.
SteveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Mingo

That sounds like a damn good time! I bet your heart was really going! I'm guessing it was big mako or YFT if he ran that hard and fast.
Mattatoar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Grouper

I think that you nailed a blue, and it just decided not to jump! Had one over 800 do that to me on a 50 w and we only knew what it was because we saw it eat a short flat. No jumps at all! Looks like you had a great day though! Wish I was with you! Hopefully my boat will be outa the shop Monday, and I can get or there asap!
850-723-1274
[email protected]
24 Cape Horn "PRETTY TUFF"
Captain Mickey O'Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Kim
Blue Marlin

I really can't hazard a guess as to what the fish was but I can say with certainty that it was bigger than your rod was equipped to handle. It happens to us all sooner or later. Two years ago I put two 30W's out in a spread at Loyds Ridge because we had tagged a couple YFT and a Wahoo and those rods were easier for my friends son to use than the 50W or 80W reels. You know it, the biggest Blue Marlin that I've seen in years hit a 30W and had it spooled in about 20 seconds.

Now I regularly fish with the 30 W's for big fish because of the availability of after market heavier drags and braid line. It's expensive but well worth it to spool your trolling rods with braid and a top shot of mono. If you fish often, the cost of lost lures and broken off line will justify the expense, not to mention lost fish.

Last edited by Kim; 10-29-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Mingo

what a great story. Its like a horror story that you just have to keep reading. Just think, If you did not have some bad luck you would not have a story to tell for years to come. nice job on the YFT
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Mingo

Blue marlin. I've been spooled by them before. You need some larger tackle.
chris a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Mingo

I'm with Mickey and Chris... Blue Marlin.
alexa041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Trigger

"we're gonna need a bigger boat"
OBsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in