Saturday on "Hammer Time" - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Saturday on "Hammer Time"

we headed out around 5:30am for the rigs. had a friend in from Dallas and he has been foaming at the mouth to go to the rigs with us. so here is Brian with his first yellow fin!

we ended up with 3 yellow fin (1 short) and 1 AJ the my wife Tobbe caught.

i'll let WayneO add some details!
J16 Carolina Skiff Mariner 25
33 Concorde (gone.)
LITECATCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Saturday on "Hammer Time"

Awesome job on the tuna! What rigs did yall fish? Chunk or troll?
401 Cay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Mingo

Nice catch!!
zoomin-newman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Mingo

Here's some details on saturdays tripand the above pics. Was definately one of the most fun I have ever had on a rig trip!!! Day started out a little offsince we forgot the downrigger and had to return to the dock and start over, only cost us about 45 minutes and we were on our way in calm sees to the Petronius. Not a bad run at 40 mph. Found a nice weed line about 12 miles north of the rig, stopped to troll a bit withno luck. Headed on to rig to find green water and 8-10 boats already working area....we made a fewlaps around the rig with a trolling spread, still no bites. Spotted some yellowfin jumping south of the rig so we headed in that direction and broke out the spinning tackle with poppin plugs and set up a chunk line. Not sure exactly how everything unfolded for about 1 1/2 hours since we had pretty steady action with bites on the chunk and fish hitting the poppers. Lost several fish on the poppers and a couple on the chunk....some operator error on the chunk lines with backlashes but that was ok since they were new tothe whole tuna fishing experience. Fish pictured above in Scotts post was hooked on a popper and handed off to Brian for his first yellowfin adventure...fought fish for 1 hour and 40 minutes before he finally gave up the rodfor me to attempt and get himto the boat. Was the most stubborn tuna I have ever seen, he refused to raise his head and never quit swimming, was a tough battle with 30 pound spinning tackle andIneeded another 15-20 minutes beforewe put the gaff to him.Weighed in at around 50 pounds. Brian will have a GREAT story for his buddys back in Dallas!! Ended up with 2 yellowfin in the box, Brians fish and another around 25 pounds. Tuna disappeard so we headed north around 1:30 p.m to try and locate the weed line again and troll for dolphin/wahoo,found some scatterd grass but nothing made up enough to fish. Hit a few bottom spots on the way in to try and pick up some snapper but full moon had them shut down. Scotts wife Tobe picked up a nice 20 lb AJ on a diamond jig and we headed to the house. Brian was a great bartender on the way in and kept us supplied with nice cold soda pops so I'm not sureon the exact time we gotback to the dock, I think it was around 6:00 p.m. Cleaned fish and enjoyed some delicious fresh yellowfin sashimi on the dock with our our new friends...great time was had by all!!!

On Sunday got a call from Brians father-in-law, Larry, thanking us forthe great time Brian had on the trip. He said Brian talked about it all night long and started talking tunaagain first thing Sunday morning!!! I think he's hooked for life!!

WayneO
WayneO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Snapper

Y'all are killing me with all these nice tuna. Way to go scott and crew!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Sailfish

Great job guys, way to create another crack head for fishing. That is some sushi, I have to eat one day. Congrats:bowdown
mpmorr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Sweet job Wayne-O Scott, and Toby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in