Rigs May 20-21 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Default Rigs May 20-21

Fished with Emmanuel and Ferdinand aboard E's boat the Blue Print the last couple of days. We met up Monday morning at about 1 am, loaded the boat and pushed out. Arrived at Petronious about an hour after daylight to find pretty blue water but no activity. Temp was about 71. Started trolling to the SouthWest towards Beer Can. A couple miles from Beer Can we came across a log and it was loaded with bait. Dropped a couple jigs down and immediately hook up with wahoo. It was good action and there were quite a few wahoo there but we were only able to get one in the boat due to spit hooks and cut offs. Continued trolling and made a few laps around Beer Can. Nothing going on and we decided to head to Ram to see how it looked. That's when we hit the dirty water we had seen on the charts. We were hoping that the West edge of the dirty water would be near Ram but we found Ram to be in dirty water so back we headed towards Marlin to set up for the evening.

About 2 -3 miles from Marlin our right rigger with a squid daisy chain gets absolutely hammered. Fish had us into the backing in no time but we got everything cleared and gained some line back. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary for the first 30 minutes of the fight just several runs and some big circles, we were thinking decent tuna or wahoo. That's when the fish realized she was hooked and proceeded to sound for the first of 3 times. She took 200 yards of mono and at least half if not more of my 600 yards of hollow core straight down. At this point we realized we had a serious fish on. Get Ferdinand harnessed up and he winches the fish up and gets mono back on the reel. We do circle after circle, the fish comes up to the surface and makes a huge boil but we can't catch a glimpse of what it is. Stays up for 10-15 minutes and then effortlessly sounds again to what had to be at least 1500' down. Got her back up and same thing stays up for a few minutes and then sounds deep. Couldn't get the fish closer than 75-100' from the boat at any point. Well at this point we are two hours into the battle and it is completely dark. We were already putting a great deal of pressure on the fish and decided to leave the drag as it was set (we had added some earlier in the fight). Fish goes to sound again and hook pulls, what a heart breaker. We never got to see it but judging on how the fight went we are thinking it had to be a jumbo tuna. We regrouped and on to Marlin we went.

Arrived at Marlin and the wind kicked up and was really blowing. Made fishing pretty difficult but we got as many blackfin as we wanted to keep and decided to go set a drift for swords and get some rest. Two squids out till daybreak and no takers so we head towards beer can to troll. Troll laps around beer can with no action to speak of. Start trolling towards Petronious and nothing all the way there. Troll in towards MP 255 to go do some deep drop and jack fishing. Ferdinand pulled in a beautiful yellow edge grouper and we caught a jack to add to the box. Started heading East back towards the house and came across the best looking line we had seen the whole trip. Found a barrel floating in the line and it was loaded with triple tail. I pulled a nice TT off the barrel and saw a wahoo under the boat. Ferdinand dropped a jig down and immediately hooked up only to get cut off above the wire leader 5 minutes later. We were jinxed with the wahoo this trip! Saw a couple big dolphin but there was a shark hanging around and they were spooky. Trolled the line for a while with no takers and decided to head to the barn. Arrived back at the dock around 1030 last night. Round trip was around 330 NM if I remember right. Lots of fun with some great guys to fish with.

Sorry for lack of pics, I have a good deal of gopro footage to sort through though. Got an hour of fighting the big fish on film as well. Water was beautiful out there, it's starting to get good just needs to get a little warmer!
Attached Thumbnails
Rigs May 20-21-photo-33-jpg  

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Trigger

Sounds like a good trip. There was a post on the Hull Truth about some Bluefin caught around south of the passes in Venice. One boat landed one and released it.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Grouper

Nice trip.....Yup probably a bluefin, Cotton Patch and Three Chiefs hooked Bluefins on Saturday in the vicinity of the Marlin Rig.
Xiphius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Sailfish

I agree with the others, most likely a bluefin as this is certainly the time frame in which they pass thru. I have mixed feelings about hooking one, tons of work, sweat and time to get a picture! Regardless sounds like you guys had a good trip!

Robert
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
White Marlin

sounds like adventure and good trip thks for posting
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Trigger

Good report its not only the big ones you catch but those big ones that get away that keeps us coming back for more.Ive had that same problem with wahoo before and made up one with titanium wire leader and havent hooked one since.
catdad100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
CRC
Ruby Red Lip

Pardon my ignorance, but can you not keep Bluefin in the Gulf? Is there no minimum size? Need to look at the regs... guess I never looked as I never even contemplated getting one of those
CRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
OSOK
Blue Marlin

We were thinking it could have been a bluefin or a jumbo yellowfin but honestly the way the fish was acting even after the 2 hour mark we had a long time to go if we had not pulled the hook. It was an epic battle for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRC View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but can you not keep Bluefin in the Gulf? Is there no minimum size? Need to look at the regs... guess I never looked as I never even contemplated getting one of those

I believe they are closed for any harvest in the gulf.

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
CRC
Ruby Red Lip

Just took a second to look and found a memo from NOAA which said that TARGETING Bluefin was prohibited, but that anglers could keep one "trophy" (over 73 inches) if it was an incidental catch... ?? I understand why they would be prohibited from harvest, but I do like the idea of being able to keep one if it was an incidental catch and the fish was going to die anyway. We should have that rule for ARS!!
CRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Snapper

great report... my brother had the same scenario years and years ago. fought the fish for 6 hours only for the captain to say "screw this, tighten the drag". itching to get out there with all the wahoo reports.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in