Rig Report 10/12-10/13 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Rig Report 10/12-10/13

My crew and I got to the boat at Sandestin Marina at 7:30 and headed out at 8 pm. We cleared Destin pass and headed straight to Petroniuos. What a night, full moon and glass calm. We werent in a hurry and got there in 3.5 hours from Destin Pass.

Petronious: We arrived at 12:30 am, the water was beautiful. There was another boat fishing it I could not tell if they caught anything or not. They were jigging. The were more sharks than i could count. We were marking fish and we boated a BIG Baracuda on a butterfly jig, but thats it. We nosed up to the rig to see if there was any bait and decided to move on.

Marlin Rig: When we pulled up to the rig it just looked dead. It was probably around 2 in the morning. We did not mark many fish and there was no bait. So we moved on.

Ram Powel: As soon as we got there we knew that the fish were there. We were marking what looked like Yellowfin and tons of Blackfin. There was another boat there and we tried hailing it several times on a number of differnt channels but no answer. It was named A2 or A squared. Anyway back to the action. We positioned the boat on the up current side and started marking fish. We were dropping butterfly jigs. I think they were 12 oz. But soon after our first set we hooked up to a decent fish and boated a 40 or so lb Yellowfin. Nice treat. Then the Dolphin showed up. I bet we hooked up 25 times and landed 3 20 or so lb blackfin. And they were chewed up. I think these damn things would see us hooked up and tell his buddies. Then we would be making good ground on the fish and then slack. Whats funny is that we never lost a jig, they would somehow hit or something and knock it off. This went on for 4 hours. We decided to drift off for a while in hopes that they would leave. At sunrise we idled back over to the rig and they were still there. We could not find bait either. I am sure the bait was hiding from the Dolphin as well.

While we were nosing around the rig to try to find some hardtails all the sudden we saw all the Dolphin, about 50 of them, hi-tail it out of there. I thought that maybe they had finally had their fill. But then we saw a pod of whales come in. I guess they we pilot whales, but they looked much bigger. They had a blount front in, but I doubt they could have been Sperm whales, but they looked like it. These guys were breaching and giving us quite a show.

At this time the winds have picked up and probably pushed it to 2-3's. We decided to put out a spread and and started working. We weeded through a bunch of Baracuda and small blackfin, we bridled one and ended up with just his head. We had one really good hook up, it was probably a YF, but he spit it.

Put out our big lures in hoped for the man in the Blue suit, but nothing. We trolled by Marlin, nothing, and Beer Can, nothing and started heading for shallow water. At this time it was probably 4 footers with a 5 mixed in there.

About 300 ft we hooked to a nice Wahoo, about 40. That guy saved the trip. We were a little bummber from the night before and Flipper.

We cleared the deck and headed in, and at this time were getting steady 4-5. It was a very wet ride home. We decided to run into Pensacola, it shaved 20 miles off running in the slop.

Anyway it was a good trip. Sorry there are no pics. I used my iphone to take pictures and they all came back blurry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Great report and thanks for the details.

Pilot whales usually grow to a max of about 30ft or so and aren't as common in the gulf. Sperm whales on the other hand are pretty common and we usually run into them at least a couple times a yr and some of the bulls will approach the 60ft mark. They can be either extremely shy or downright nosy, coming right up to the boat. The 2 look almost nothing alike other than the dark coloration and blunt foreheads. Pilot whales have a large dorsal fin like a dolphin whereas a sperm whale has almost no fin but more like a dorsal keel that stabilizes them.

I would say sperm whales are more likely but pilot whales do come into the gulf as well. The size and dorsal fin would be dead giveaways though. If you have whale pics on your phone, send them to my phone and maybe I could tell you. I'll PM you my number.
Saturday 9-9

Last edited by Chris V; 10-14-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Trigger

They were Sperm then. They had a very small dorsal fin. I don't have any pics, but one of the crew might. I will see if I can track them down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Mingo

Thanks for the Report!!

2017 SeaHunter32
Twin 300hp Yamaha
Theodore, AL
reeldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Thanks for the information. Good Job..!!
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in