Report from 7/11/2012 (And other pictures) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Report from 7/11/2012 (And other pictures)

Well I haven't gotten around to posting a report in quite a while... and I decided to take some time to post one up a week later after a quite interesting adventure with breaking in the new boat.
Well last week on Wednesday we headed out in hopes of catching a tuna, marlin, wahoo or any other pelagic species. We left the docks around 5:10 and were one of the first boats in the pass to catch bait and head out. We caught a whole mess of bait and already had set a pinfish trap the night before so we were set, and could not even see the bottom of the livewells!
The seas were glass the whole way out to the elbow, we got out there around probaly 7:45 and put out the lines to troll a good rip that we found in 1600 feet of water. After about an hour of trolling I think my dad got impatient after only two short strikes, and we never seem to stick to trolling whenever we go. I'm still trying to figure out how to convince him to stick to it and be rewarded.
We stopped at a nice patch of weeds and caught a couple chicken mahi, and there were a couple of bulls lurking around but we couldn't seem to get them to bite anything. So we left this patch (for reasons I don't know why) and headed even further west (almost South of Mobile, AL). We started dropping baits all the way to the bottom to hammer the scamp and grouper and put a mess on board. We did this for about 1.5 hours and picked up all the fish you see in the picture. Caught a couple of almaco jacks, I personally got 2 gag groupers, My dad reeled up a nice red grouper, and my friend and brother were putting the hammer to the scamp. We used live big herring and cigar minnows seemed to do the trick. The grouper weren't having anything to do with a pinfish that we dropped down except maybe a few subtle bites.
Then in the midst of a great bite of bottom fish the worst happens. We decided that we were going to switch to the saddle tanks, and we have never used the saddle tanks before. There ended up being water in the two saddle tanks and the filters could not handle it all. We drifted for about 3 hours and kept trying to contact a commercial boat that was about a quarter of a mile away, doing everything we could. After the 3 hours of drifting with two dead engines and the monitor saying "Water in Fuel" we finally got the commerical fishing guys to come over. We had been fooling around with everything trying to get the engines to pop back up with no avail. The com. guys threw us a strap wrench to get the filters off because It seemed as if they were glued. We got the filters out and cleaned them out and started pumping the main tanks fuel back into the engines to see if we could clear them out and get them working again. We started being towed back to port, but we never gave up on the engines and kept trying and trying so after 30 minutes of being towed we finally got power in both the engines. I guess thats what happens when you dont give up so easily!
We were all worn out and just gunned it home and got back to the docks around 5:30. We still ended up with a mess of fish though. The other pictures are from earlier in the month, and the small cobia I caught off of the bottom on a blue/silver williamson jig trying to catch some Gags. It was the first fish I've caught on a jig and I gotta say that I am hooked! I'm definatley in the market for a jigging rod now!
Tight Lines!
-Steven
Small Cobia

The fish board from my brothers and Dad's earlier trip

Engine Failure day
FishFighter92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Nice pool of fish , Glad you guys had a good trip...
ironblazer383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Sailfish

great report and pics! Hey wasnt real clear in report, did ya have to call sea tow or was commercial guy towing ya when ya finally got engines going (afetr 30 mins of towing) Glad ya gottum going!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Sailfish

Glad you made it back safe and sound. A good strap wrench (or two!) is must have as well as a giant set of channel locks. Water in gas can drive you crazy! When I was running gas engines I always used the clear bottom Racor filters. I could then dump them via the bottom plug to a baggie and check the gas. More than once that has saved my bacon!

Were you trying to contact the commercial boat via VHF16? Wonder why they did not respond more quickly? A waterproof handheld backup VHF is a necessity as well.

Robert
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Trigger

We never got sea tow and the commercial guys started towing us back to port for 30 minutes. We got their number and I'm sure my dad bought them a couple cases of beer for their next trip.

And the exact next day we got the clear pumps installed with the drain at the bottom like you said. And we called them on channel 68, channel 16, and channel 7. They finally picked up on channel 7 after 3 hours of trying. We even waved life vest while standing on the bow and they still didn't respond. We had a ship that responded in the area that could have came and helped us if we were in danger or needed it immediately. We will be purchasing a couple wrenches and a nice tool kit for the boat after this scare.
FishFighter92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in