Pelagic pirate supermoon magic - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Pelagic pirate supermoon magic

Well just sitting down to write this after a 60 marathon fishing trip to Panama City Fl on our boat the PELAGIC PIRATE. We departed Friday night headed south for a line that our sat report was showing some 70-80 miles out. We figured we would stop short and swordfish so we didn't over run the line that we expected to see out there. We got to the grounds around 10 pm and set up our drift by deploying the sea anchor and then the underwater lights and lastly our rigs. We deployed 3 rods at varied depths from 75 feet to 125 with a few squid and a live mullet. We had some nice squid rolling around the lights but really no action early on. We eventually hooked a shark on our mullet and had to re-rig that line setting out another live mullet in return.
Around 1 Am most of our crew was tired and soon took to the cabin and or the bean bags while I manned the deck with my buddy Ken. Somewhere around 1:30 I'm standing there on deck and hear one rod peel off a short run , so I turn and grab the handle and start cranking to come tight but I am either cut off or the fish is swimming at the boat. Well it was the later and I eventually come tight and then the fish turns and peels off 400- 500 yards in one really slow run like a big shark. So I am thinking its a shark and at this point I am looking for a rod belt as the fish is heavy and the pole is killing me.
We get settled in clear all lines , sea anchor and lights and proceed to crank the boat and back down a tad as I was getting spooled. We get the fish to stop eventually and settle into this sulking battle where I basically couldn't gain any line unless I used low gear and pulled the line with my hand like the wicked tuna dudes....... We would pull forward and the fish would plane up a tad and we could gain a bit of line here and there. around 45 minutes in I have my spectra back and I am in my 100 yard top shot of 80 pound mono. I start really putting pressure on the fish by holding the spool and gaining by lifting whatever it was slowly up to the surface. One hour in the fish seems to be making a move to the surface and I am thinking this shark is done, and all the sudden the disco light starts streaking just under the surface and what ever is towing it is going to Jump.
All the sudden in the bright moon light over a clear sky and calm seas jumps what looked like a 400 pound Swordfish into the super moon sky. At this point I am thinking "Oh shit , this fish isn't coming in anytime soon as it melted the reel realizing it was hooked for the very first time in the whole battle" and my mind was wondering through stories I've read of epic 7 hr battles till dawn on fish this size if you can even land them. We now bust out the real harness and I get to work despite being toast already from using a cheap ass rod belt the first hour thinking it was a shark. Now everyone is like " dude baby it " but I am thinking thats probably dumb because the longer its on the better chance it comes off. So I am working on this fish back and forth into the topshot and then back out , back and forth for ever till I decided that it was time for me to pass the rod to my boat partner who deserved a crack at this beast as much as I did, the funny thing is he didn't see the fish jump so he still thought we had a big shark.
So we harness in reggie and right away he figures out that this is a large fish cause he's having issues gaining any line at all. He starts his battle and soon its apparent we need to pray the fish dies or gets shark bit or maybe close enough to get a flyer in it cause is killing us one by one. 1 hour in reggie has gained the topshot back , only to lose it again and again over the next 30 minutes or so. Close to the 4 hour mark the fish makes a mad dash at the stern causing me to bump up quickly forward to keep the fish out of the rudder, and reggie cranks like a mad man. I freak for 1 second as the line looked slack , but it came tight and the fish shoot violently and then reggie began to actually get this think moving up.
We get the flyer ready , I glove up and wait to wire whatever is coming up ....and out of the deep dark blue I see the bill of a huge swordfish pierce the ocean surface and glimmer in the boat lights. It quickly went down a foot or two as I grabbed the leader I started to wire the fish to the stern and the fish appeared right there just a mere few hand wires away. Now I am getting tense and so is my gaff man as this thing is huge and armed with a 4 foot bill ......So I look down and see for the first time our fish is shark bit behind it pectoral fin and just about dead. At this point I scream for my gaff man to sink the flyer , and sink it he does with no reaction from our fish. I scream for another gaff in the tail as approaching our fish was 2 of the biggest tiger sharks I have ever seen with me on the platform.
I quickly jumped back in the boat and all four of us lifted this beast into our cockpit where it was dispatched with a Louisville slugger and high fives went off !!!!!
We had finally caught a real beast swordfish after basically 10 years of trying and countless pups caught with only 3 keepers to show all that time now we have what looks like a 300 pound sword in our boat on our deck. So now we have this giant beast of a swordfish in the boat that's like 12 feet long with its bill and were scrambling to get the pictures taken and get this sucker into monster fish bag. The dang thing was so big it took up almost the entire port side deck, so much so we had to lay a bunk bed on top so we could sleep on it....
Now the sun is coming up and we switch to the high speed trolling spread so we can cover water and look for the line that should be out there another 10 miles or so. Around 8 am we hook our first fish which Ken quickly boats and its his first wahoo !!!! lures back in and we troll on and about one hour later one of the lines goes off and John was up . He gets on the rod and starts fighting the fish which seemed to be a snagged dolphin or something. When the fish comes close , I leader and I don't see till about the last second we have a small billfish ??? but I cant tell what kind till I grab the bill, and even still I am not sure what it is but its hooked in the eyeball and not happy. I try to settle it down but it rips off the hook and I let it go. The fish then swims on its back 40 yards and jumps like 5 times really fast and then took off 100 mph. It wasn't till we got home and sent my buddy wade a shot that we found out what we thought was a huge white marlin was a 80-90 pound mini blue marlin. So we are now 2-2 on billfish but cant find any line , but we troll on through rain storms and winds for a few hours to nice flat seas with tons of scattered grass but no fish. At this point we head in to bottom fish for a few minutes before heading in with our VIP catch.
As for the sharks that bit our fish "Thanks" seriously , because i think the fish wasnt going to come in any time soon had they not mortally wounded it allowing us to harvest this great beast. We only lost 5 pounds or less on each side and after fillet surgery it really wast even that bad.
We fish one wreck and boat two huge AJ's , and then fish 2 spots with butterfly jigs and landed a bunch of nice fat scamp groupers before calling it a day and headed home for a hook and cook swordfish dinner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-swordme-jpg   Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-swordnreg-jpg   Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-swordregnmejpg-jpg   Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-supermoonsword-jpg   Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-wahoo-jpg  

Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-marlin2jpg-jpg   Pelagic pirate supermoon magic-marlin5-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 05-07-2012 at 10:32 AM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Sailfish

Sweet. Great read, thanks for sharing.
Home & Business Security
and Surveillance Systems
Pensacola, FL
[email protected]
FLbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Sailfish

Man that is an awesome read!!! You brought back some memories talking bout that sword jumping in a full moon. I have seen one do just that and it is a cool sight! Congrats on the other bil as well!
Caspr21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Trigger

awesome day! beautiful sword

straycat
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Snapper

Fantastic trip. Congrats!! You will remember this trip for a life time. P.S. Second billfish pic almost looks like a spearfish. We caught one a while back, and it looked like that, with the marlin-like dorsal fin and then the secondary sailfish-like fin. Either way...amazing trip.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Smile

Well written account. Thanks.
reel sorry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Mingo

congrats on the sword! sounds like a great trip
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Trigger

Great report. Were you using 50's for the sword. might make a case for 80s next time.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Freakin Awesome!

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Grouper

That is a memory that will last a lifetime!! Congratulations!!

2005 24' Action Craft Bay Boat
1990 37' Topaz "Fever Reliever"
www.traditionfishingcharters.com
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in