PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Grouper

Default PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10

Headed out Wed night into calm seas at about 10 pm : first stop would be Petronius which we got to 1 hour before day break. Got on tuna right away , but the sharks were really thick and took all or most of any fish we hooked. Decided at this point that maybe the closer rigs were all sharked up and so we took off trolling to horn mountain. Not one open water bite : nothing but blue water and no bait or fish.

Get to horn mountain and make a few laps , no bites and we decided to chunk , jig ,pop to no avail as nobody was home. Marked fish at 400-600ft but they just would come up and the current made it hard together a jig to them. We decide to troll off to the drill ship south of horn without a single open water bite the whole way. We get the the drilling platform and start trolling and pick up our first wahoo of about 20 pounds. We troll some more and get nada so we decide to try everything possible to catch a fish and all we come up with was a blackfin or two. So at this point we think we should try to make some live bait off the driller and bust out the bait rigs. We manage 5 nice baits when a guy the rig starts screaming for us to get away : we're too close( even though 2 other boats were doing the same exact thing : but with 5 nice blue runners we figure we might convert into big tuna.

We troll off to Nakika and do not get a single open water bite the whole way, and arrive to no there boats but a bunch of crew boats on shift change . We trolled a bunch of laps for nada. We then stop the boat and try flying the kite with a live bait. We get the kite up with a perfect bait and soaked it till dark without a single bite. So we pull in the kite and try jigging , chunking and popping and catch pretty much nothing but a few small blackfin. We fished hard till 1 or so am when I slow rolled it back to the drill ship. Once there I start jigging and the blackfin are thick so everyone starts catching them since nothing else was biting.we caught a stack of them no tried chunking for a few hours , with nothing to show. Fished till we couldn't stand up anymore and went to bed with two sword baits out the rest of the night.

We wake up at day break with not a single bite on the sword lines and had drifted 5 miles. We pick up trolling toward horn mountain again with no bites till we get to the rig. Second lap we score a wahoo that was a twin of the first we caught the day before. We tried trolling for a few hours and no more bites . We then deploy the live baits .. We get bite right away , but the fish came off. About 5 min later we hook another fish this time it's on . Reggie was on the rod and the fish was acting like a marlin staying up . The fish was then coming to jump and all the sudden , line breaks. We reel it in and see we got bit off by a shark or a cuda, either way we are just pisssed it couldn't be a tuna.

We troll off toward home stopping at Marlin just long enough to see nothing going on, and next stop was a rig in 350 ft. Here we hook up two huge fish right on the bottom with jigs only to loose Both on the rig. We finally catch. Few AJ and all the sudden the sky got dark , the wind picked up and the seas we flat and then turned the opposite way it had been running and pitched up to 8 ft easy with crazy with over 30kts. I swear it was like the scene from Forrest Gump in the shrimp boat during the hurricane. I actually got worried for real because it was just that bad.

I pointed her home and started out at 4 knots and after a mile or so was able to get 9 in this crap but we were taking green water over the tower and getting pushed all over the place so much the auto pilot was getting a workout. The storm finally got off of us at 40 miles from port allowing us to run 20 knots till we got 10 miles off the pass where we ran out of fuel on tank two: holy crap :

I switch tanks and prime us and get her started but no we are wondering if we will make it because we had run tank 1 one the first half of the trip. Anyway we clear the pass which was stacked with huge waves at 4 pm Friday . We get San Roc which is the closest fuel dock and put 70 gallons in the tank that ran out ( which is strange because we told our boat held 100 in each tank so we figured we had 180 usable: looks like we have 180 gallons with 140 usable).tank two took 69 gallons and that's as close as it gets. We covered 300 kn miles on our 3 day trip and burned 139 gallons . For all that ground and all those rigs we just didn't do very well but that's why they call it fishing and not catching

Best of all we finally figured out our range after 4 years of owning this boat

Pic to follow
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic1-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic2-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic3-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic4-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic5-jpg  

PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic6-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic7-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 05-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Snapper

Awesome report!
Illinijeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Mingo

Pirate,

That is not your usual success story but does show how you are willing to put in the effort to do what it takes to be successful. Kudos for giving it your all.

I must say all the blue water had me thinking it would be better fishing.

Perhaps next trip.

Matt
matttheboatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the real time report. The charts have shown plenty of good blue water lately but no real breaks/rips anywhere in range. Your report confirms it. Fishing the OB Billfish next week. We need all the help we can get.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Grouper

I'm sure it will be wide open next week be because I can't go

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel sorry View Post
Thanks for the real time report. The charts have shown plenty of good blue water lately but no real breaks/rips anywhere in range. Your report confirms it. Fishing the OB Billfish next week. We need all the help we can get.
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic8-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic9-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic10-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Rig Trip 5-8 to 5-10-pic11-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 05-13-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttheboatman View Post
Pirate,

That is not your usual success story but does show how you are willing to put in the effort to do what it takes to be successful. Kudos for giving it your all.

I must say all the blue water had me thinking it would be better fishing.

Perhaps next trip.

Matt

You know sometime you just can't win , but my favorite part of fishing offshore is just being out there on a adventure :

So I cannot complain getting 3 days offshore and 3 days away from work

I will say I have never seen so much pretty water with nothing in it but scattered weeds and sharks .....I'm sure things will pick up here soon because I have to take a week off from fishing .
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
25'Donzi CC Flying Chance
Ruby Red Lip

great report what engines are you running on your boat,,,,Ive offen wondered how far I could go just never got up to try past fifty. way to many variables with seas and all going to try it though.
pilotkal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Good report, that's the way it goes sometimes. I was to your East around the Nipple yesterday when that wind kicked up, it got sure enough nasty out there. I couldn't run my autopilot had to be on the throttle and wheel the whole way back.

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Mingo

Nice report sorry it did work out for you.
Fish Eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Great report Mike and very thorough work there. Didn't hear any good tuna reports from anyone else either
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in