PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Grouper

Default PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012

Cleared the pass at dawn and pointed her South East toward an area near the Nipple. Was able to run full speed in sweet seas making it to the area around 8:30 where we began to troll in 250 ft . We set out a nice spread of lures and ran her 10 knots to cover ground and find fish. First bite was minutes into trolling and turned out to be a nice kingfish. Second bite came fast and we are on a better fish. We clear a few lines but forget to clear the opposite side marauder . Up comes a 20 pound hoo to gaff, and right as it got close I see a huge wahoo come out of no where and takes the marauder as it drifted slowly behind the boat slashes across the spread and jumps twice. Now we have a double going , so we boat the first one but the other fish was much larger giving me a nice battle on my 50w. I finally get the upper hand and Richard wires and Reggie gaffs this huge sucker right in the boat .

So now it not even 9 and we have two nice wahoo in the boat which is a great start to our trip. We get the baits and and start boxing the area and get bit right away and after a short fight we box another 25 pound hoo. Start trolling and we get hammered right away and I was right next to the rod. Again I am getting smoked and know right away it's a larger model wahoo. After a ice series of runs and get him up close and Reggie and Richard tag team to fish into the box . Now we have two huge hoo's and two small hoo's and its 9:30. We troll on to the South toward the elbow and steps after a lull , going a hour before the next bite which came unbuttoned. We continue on staying on a zip zag course taking us in and out of the deep and and back on the ledge.

Around noon we get a nice bit but it doesn't stick so we box the area and get two more good bites that just come off after a good run. Well we decide we need a change and run 10 miles south to a deep drop area to try and box groupers. We start off slow but end up limited out on a nice grade of snowy and huge yellow edge groupers, which a few long tail sea bass mixed in. We tried to move to a new area to tile fish and when we got there the wind started to pick up and so did the swell . We get on the spot but its white snapper city, but we just keep trying . While setting line out a school of decent schoolies shows up and we catch 6 before they decide they want nothing else to eat. After that the wind and seas and a nice storm pop up so we make th decision to head in and try and beat the storms in.

The ride in was hairy at times and we got rained on pretty good but it eased up at tad and we decided to try and snapper fish for a drop or two on a mark we had ran over. Well turns out there were snapper home and we box 6 in just 10 minutes and headed to the barn in another big boomer. Hit the dock at 9 pm and made it to the marina restruant just in time to get burgers

Cleaned the boat and fish on Sunday in the rain and got out of town capping off another great trip to Orange Beach.

the rest of the pictures are on page two guys :
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-photo-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-hoo1-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-hoo2-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-hoo4-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-hoo6-jpg  

PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-hoo7-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Offshore Trolling/Deep Drop/Snapper 6-8-2012-hoo8-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 06-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Great report Mike. Estimated size on the two big 'hoos?

If your into white snapper, your too shallow for golden tiles (for the most part)
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Grouper

You guys killed it again! I'm going to sneak over there and rub on your boat in the hopes that some of your good luck will rub off on us. We've got rubber hooks this year. Nice job

Southbound Apparel
Locally owned, designed and distributed

Last edited by fishboy; 06-09-2013 at 10:47 PM.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Very Nice! You guys always get your fish.
clunan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Great report Mike. Estimated size on the two big 'hoos?

If your into white snapper, your too shallow for golden tiles (for the most part)
Thx Chris
50ish pound or so .........
Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Nice! Next time you're headed in, give me a call if you want/need help cleaning up
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Grouper

I think you need to try metal hooks

All kidding aside ....Thx for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
You guys killed it again! I'm going to sneak over there and rub on your boat in the hopes that some of your good luck will rub off on us. We've got rubber hooks this year. Nice job
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Snapper

Man sounds like a great trip congrats !
how2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Sailfish

great report!! looking forward to the pics!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Grouper

Great job guys...sounds like an awesome trip! looks lie they did a number on that yo zuri!

Last edited by PorknBeans; 06-11-2013 at 06:02 PM.
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in