PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Grouper

Default PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week

Reggie was on vacation all week and weent twice without me here is his report:

Trip 1 With Harry::

Left the pass late Sunday morning after 11:00, after a quick boat fix that my buddy Harry stepped in to help take care of. Despite the late start, the weather was super flat so we headed out for some deep dropping fun with the kids.

First stop is insta-bight. We bring up a nice yellow edge grouper and tile fish. Then we make a couple more drops, score a snowy and some more tiles and then a big shark shows up. We decide to just move on to the next spot.

On the way we see a white marlin free jumping 7-8 times. We put in a little time trolling that afternoon, had a couple of strikes, but didn't connect on either one.

Next stop we score another bigger yellow edge. several tile fish. and a long fin sea bass. Then Harry decides he wants to drop a rig without an electric reel 600 feet to the bottom. He hooks up right on the bottom with what we think must be a nice grouper, and after an arm wrenching battle Harry boats a giant amber jack.

With a full fish box and my wife ready to beat it, we headed back in.

Catches of note: Harry's little girl caught her first grouper ever, a snowy. Not a bad way to start out.

Great day at sea and some incredible eating fish in the box. All good.

Trip 2 with my Dad and my Boys : 3 generations in one boat fishing

This was the first fishing trip with Dad on the Pelagic Pirate. And, we brought my two boys along so we had three generations on board. After wrapping up a few things for work we headed over to the dock and messed with the DSM for about 45 minutes to try and get the fish finder back up and running. As it was, we had a late start. So we decide to try and fish a live bottom area in deep water, beyond where all the snapper boats would be setting up. We didn't leave the dock until 11am.

Later that afternoon, as soon as we rolled up to the first spot the water was blue and my boys wanted to jump in for a swim. I told them to hold off until after our first drop. Sure enough, before the weight even hit the bottom I spot a 12 foot hammerhead cruising a wave off in the distance, headed straight for us. We were able to boat a few nice grouper before we had four sharks around the boat, basically chewing the paint off the side of the boat. We dropped a bait bucket over board for a minute and the sharks were all over it...bumping all around the pale.

Of course, that's right when we hook up with a monster fish right on the bottom in 500 feet, plus another fish on the second hook. We get the fish about half way up and all four sharks disappear. Once I get to about 150 feet of water - fump - one of the sharks eats whatever we've got on. We break that shark off of the first rig and then fump - another shark eats the second. I end up leadering an 8 foot shark behind the boat and luckily straighten the hook instead of loosing the whole rig. Happy just to have our deep drop rig, we move on.

On to the second spot the kids didn't ask to jump in for a swim. ;-) We pulled three more yellow edge, two snowy's and two long tail sea bass off that spot until another giant shark shows up and chases our grouper right to the boat.

Shark city out there that day, but we still scored some delicious fish for the box and sent Dad home with a giant cooler full of fish.

Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg1-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg2-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg3-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg4-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg5-jpg  

PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg6-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg7-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 06-10-2013 at 05:13 PM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Grouper

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-reg55-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-har1-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-har2-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-har4-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-har5-jpg  

PELAGIC PIRATE late report from last week-har7-jpg  
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Nice Job Reggie!!!
clunan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Sailfish

Nice!!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Snapper

I think that is a dream come true there congrats!
how2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Trigger

Boy, what a season your having, keep it up.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Sailfish

So cool to take the kids fishing, the older I get the more enjoyment I get out of doing the same! Good Job and nice fish!
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Snapper

I can't wait to take my boys offshore with me. It's great to see the young'ns having fun on the water. Perfect!
samoajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Trigger

Great fish to eat. Congrats on taking the kids too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in