PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Grouper

Default PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18

Headed out Friday from OB headed due south for a area I wanted to try closer in than my last rig trip. Cleared the pass to some steep wind and pretty bumpy seas toward my area arriving around midnight. We set the sea anchor out and started our drift which was pushing us nw. Got the first squid deployed and started rigging the second when we get bit. The fish took the float down and when I came tight it peeled off a huge run and game on . We tussled with the fish for 40 min or so and got him off the stern and saw it as a pretty large swordfish. The fish then swam under the corner and stayed just under the port corner where I could see the fish had some girth in his shoulders and got ready to dart this fish. Just then it made a short run behind the boat and then charged back at the stern. The fish was hooked on the bill and when he faced us the hook just slid down the bill and off, and our huge swordfish slipped into the deep and gone. Heartbreaker city right there but you can't catch them all , After that we tried all night and caught only a shark.

We start trolling at grey light and covered some water till we found a nice push of cobalt blue on green water with scattered weeds, which we trolled for some time with nothing. So I kind of get tired of clearing grass so I just run a 2 lure spread, one money bait on the center rigger and one wahoo high speed trolled off the stern. We tried from deep to shallow and ended up near a rock we wanted to try. We try jigging and get a nice pick of large amberjack , almaco and some very large scamp.we decided to try some deep dropping and headed off to some areas in 500 to 700 feet.

On the way I tolled my 2 rod spread at 9 .5 knots through the weeds working our way to the grounds. We are just talking about fishing and watching our one lure pop along when I see a huge blue marlin swim up besides the lure swing and knock it out of the center rigger. When this happen a huge whole opened up in the water and the fish wasn't on, so I free spool the lure and it takes off warp 9 . I move 50w to strike and we are on big time and this is no little fish either. Before we could get the wahoo bait in my 150 yard top shot and 600 yards of 135#backing was melted in seconds and my reel was actually smoking hot .During this run the fish made several tail walking blue water crashing jumping maneuvers trying his best to get off but the little lure that could held strong.We battled for 30 minutes of high speed backing and bow round maneuvers and up comes the leader and my est 350 pound blue marlin all lite up electric blue. Richard and I bill the fish to release the lure and the fish didn't like that at all but we quickly got the hook free and took some shots and the fish took off really pissed and fast. High fives all around and the crew is pumped big time

After this we troll on to the grounds we wanted to check out . With a bunch experimenting drops we ended up slaying some really quality fish catching yellow edge, snowy, tile fish and white snapper. We found a bunch of new spots just trolling around our area earlier and used these to fish catching just a few at each spot before moving on. After stuffing the boat with limits of nice deep water fish we got back to trolling. I put out the same two lure spread and just as I get the wahoo bait in the stern troller clip , it pops . First I'm thinking the clip let loose but when the line peeled off 10k mph I knew we had a fish. The dang pole felt heavy and what we thought was a huge wahoo ,was a giant 5 ft neon blue and silver telephone pole . We kept the boat in gear and i wired the fish and Richard stuck that sucker in the head under the stern and the fish popped up onto the platform almost taking us out .We pop back into the boat with the gaff and a solid 70 pound hoo all lite up on the deck. Now it's ice shuffle time and clean up as we troll out to the blue water we were in earlier.

We find the blue water much farther east and south but it was there and so was the unformed messy grass. Once again we are trolling trusty but i put out the center and the port and starboard longs all with the same money bait in different colors spread in this awesome cobalt blue water .We are sitting watching the lures when all the sudden what looked like a billfish pops up real subtle and takes the port long bait . The fish doesn't jump but stays up at first then dives down like a tuna. We settle into a sulking battle gaining little line at first. After 30 mins or so the fish charges the boat and jumps 30 ft in the air right next to the boat ::::MAKO::::::holly mother of god:::::what the heck. Now I figure we are done as I'm cable rigged but mono leader, so I'm thinking we are gonna loose it any second. We ready the Harpoon and the flyer and as the fish gets close Richard wires the leader and up comes the most beautiful fish you have ever seen all lite up and pissed off. So grab the harpoon and stick the fish only to have the dart pop back out : oh shit Plan "B" flyer to the rescue.I fly gaff the sucker , then Richard follows with the tail gaff . Now we have a ballistic 200 plus pound Mako on my swim platform. Well this sucker decides to eat my tuna door and completely turns back at the boat biting the door: Not Good: So at this point we get a tail rope on him and tie him off to both corners and take a deep breath soaking in way just happen.

We end up having to drag him for some time and cut his heart out to kill the thing, finally pulling it through my tuna door . We get some pictures and but out the extra large fish bag. We pack up everything and pour all remaining ice in the fish bag on the wahoo and the shark. The decision is made to head in despite really wanting to send the night out swordfishing. We left the area 1 hour before dark and got back to sportsmans at 11:30. Late night Waffle House and crashed in the boat waking up to 3 hours of fish/boat cleaning .

"What a epic trip" only reaffirming my move to this area I now call home

Orange Beach

Pics to follow in am
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-marlin-6-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-marlin-5-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-marlin-4-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-marlin-3-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-marlin-2-jpg  

PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-marlin-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE Blue Water Overnighter 5-17/18-scampzilla-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 05-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
White Marlin

Damn, I'm jealous. I've been wanting to get out on an overnight trip with a forum member but I just haven't had time.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
White Marlin

Can't wait to see the pics from this. Sounds like there wasn't a dull moment.
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Trigger

What day, or is that days? Enjoyed reading, congrats!

Straycat
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

About time for that report Mike!
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

Where are the pics you took. I would like to see all that fun
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
mullet head
Trigger

Great read .. congrats
WE NEED PICS......lol
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
Trigger

Awesome read and thanks for the report! Can't wait to see the pics!!!
Fish N Tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Trigger

Wow, what a great report. Well done.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Sailfish

You are now discovering why we all love Orange Beach!! Sounds like a great (and tiring!) trip! We were eating dinner as yall loaded the boat, I was going to walk over and wish you guys luck but yall pulled out before we finished.

Robert
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in