PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Grouper

Default PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza

Well for the second time this season I was snookered into heading down to fish despite possible weather issues looming. All week they are calling 1 ft , then comes Thursday and its 2-4 with a 50% chance of rain. So the plan was , make bait early Friday and head south and troll toward Petronius and bump to a few other rigs.

We made bait over a 1 hour period and started offshore around 7:30 am. Once we hit 100 ft I put in two high speed set ups. First bite comes at 230 ft as we come of the the ledge. The first fish is smoking our fifty and we knew it was a nice wahoo, and after a few long runs the fish came up where I had to leader and gaff a solid high 50's class wahoo for my buddy as our other crew member was sea sick big time.

Off to a good start we box the area with a 3 rod spread and come up with a another knock down this time a small white or sail that ate the short flat line but came off instantly. So we troll on toward some deep drop spots and make It the with no other bites.

We wanted to drop but all the sudden the storms flared up and forced us to evade quickly, so I put out the 3 rods spread and troll around the storm and Bam , we are on a nice little blue marlin that put on a great show right off the bat and then charged the boat coming off palm beach style on the leader. Lures back in and 10 minutes later we get bit on the starboard short flat line , then it comes off and hits the port flat and we are on the biggest dolphin of the season. The fish fought hard and long and once again I had to leader and gaff the fish just before it tried to shake off at the boat. I didn't weight the bull but it was easy 35-40 pounds and 5 ft long.

So now the storms had moved off my deep drop spot but started wrecking us on our trolling area ,so we troll over to deep drop and get another white in the spread doing its best to wreck our spread but some how didn't get hooked despite several runs at every lure we had out. We finally get to the drop spot and tried hard for a good deep drop bite around this area but the wind and current made for tough drifting and even tougher fishing , but we still managed 5 nice snowy grouper and a big tile for our efforts along with some mega size white snappers.

We finally get back to trolling for the last couple hours of day light before we would go home and spare our poor sea sick buddy who had been sick since 8 am, by ending our trip instead of swordfishing all night at sea. I retraced our hot area and had no additional knock downs so I pointed her north for the 60 mile run home. When we hit 550 ft we get hammered again and this time it's a large model white marlin that took a bait off the starboard rigger and went ballistic across the whole spread before settling down . We worked the fish up rather quickly and when it surfaced off our stern it came back to life and hopped off at leader.

After that we trolled into 100 ft with no other bites and hung it up at dark for a long ride back in rough seas to OB capping off one of best bill fishing days I've ever had and my biggest dolphin in years in my own boat.

I must say I was so glad to be back at the dock as spending the night out in that would have been miserable

Pics to follow ...
Attached Thumbnails
PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-storm-1-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-storm-2-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-storm3-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-rainbow-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-rain-jpg  

PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-wahooo-jpg   PELAGIC PIRATE 7-19 stormy day billfish bonanza-wahooooo-jpg  

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 07-22-2013 at 10:51 AM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

You my friend, have done something to earn some great karma lately cause you are on a roll!

Except that last trip before this one. Too similar to my last trip
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Trigger

Awesome report! That's a hell of a day for sure!!!
Fish N Tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
You my friend, have done something to earn some great karma lately cause you are on a roll!

Except that last trip before this one. Too similar to my last trip
Thanks Chris

Yea my fourth of july trip was so bad I thought it may have been a dream ( 1 shark and one Bonita for 40 hrs on the water with my whole crew sea sick), but unfortunately it was all too real :

It rained that whole week too, and the only fish we really caught was bass and bream in romar lakes
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Sailfish

sounds like an action packed day for sure. congrats on the big bull!!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Snapper

Another great trip. Congrats!!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Sailfish

Sounds like you had a good trip, even with the weather! I can't wait to see the pics! The bite out near the steps really seems to be on fire now!
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Man what an awesome report. Nice work for sure!

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Snapper

Pics please, can't wait to see some live action!
samoajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Grouper

Sounds like we should have went that way... We ran southwest to the floaters for a slow slow bite
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in