Outboard Classic Trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Outboard Classic Trip

Me, Capt Woody, Superchicken (aka Herb) and my buddy Chip fished the Outboard Classic this past Saturday. Like everyone else we had been following the path of a great looking rip on the satellite charts all week. As luck would have it cloud cover killed Thurs and Friday images so we were going on faith it was still out there. We left after the captainís meeting heading for a new rig called Ensco 8500, that sits arrox 125 miles or so from OB. Previous images had shown it east of the rip and in blue water. Idea was to go there and troll west till we found the rip. We putted all night and were sitting at the rig in glass calm water at sunup to find no signs of tuna. We trolled some scattered grass around the rig then went in search of the rip. We searched and searched and we searched! We ran a total of 385 miles and we never found it! Turns out it had dissipated and was gone. Most of the water we saw was ugly MS river looking water. Would have had better luck fishing for carp!

There were no billfish caught, only 4 wahoo brought to scales, a handful of small dolphin and tuna. It was a fun but tough day for all.

Long story short, we somehow managed to catch 4 small wahoo during the day. One other boat caught an even smaller wahoo so we swept the wahoo division and managed to win right at $5000. I am embarrassed to say this, but our largest wahoo was 12.1 lbs!! I guess it goes to show that you just never know what will win some of these things!
We had a great time, good crew, flat water and a check!

Ensco 8500 at dawn, with Woody getting the spread out

Take a look at the boat Icon on my Sirius weather map to get idea where we were, long way out! (we are the little black tear drop thing)

Capt Wood, Herb and one of the tournament winning wahoo

Wahoos 1,2 &3 and the crew

Proudly holding one of the two checks we one

2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Grouper

Congrats on the WIN and the Check , thats just awesome !

Keep up the good work and report
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
JMB
Trigger

Default Wahoo for the wehoo

Nice going!

Maybe not a sized wahoo that most people post about, but he was a good return on investment.

Sorry that more didn't transpire for you all. But with the water like it is...at least you put something on the board and made some money too.

We debated about going to the RP (not tourney fishing) to look for tuna and pelagics. Decide to snapper fish instead.

Thanks for sharing.
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Snapper

great report and pics. nothing embarassing about the return on those hooters. as with any sport a win is a win no matter what the score was. congrats on sweeping the division.
sail7seas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Grouper

Although that was a heck of a boat ride, it looks like was worth it to get in them money. It goes to prove you always weigh the fish in! CONGRATS GUYS!
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Snapper

Great pics of the winning wahoos! Our mahi would have been on the board for 5 mins if we weighed it. The seaweed kept my spread from being any sort of effective out there. Just think what one little rat marlin would have done. I was a good time for my first tourney experience. Good meeting you Robert.
samoajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Mingo

What was your total fuel burn after covering 385 miles in one day?

I have a friend that had a 36 Contender with triple 250s, and we could count on putting back in gallons almost exactly what we covered in miles when fishing out of Venice. (Just wondering if the Yellowfins are any more efficeint than that.)
GAHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Sailfish

Samoajoe: It was very nice meeting you as well, I hope you guys fish the Monkey Boat at the end of July as well! fun tournament

Gahunter: I recorded all the fuel data, but have not tabulated it yet. I know that the worst mpg we were getting was on way out at 17 mph pushing thru the seas and it was .9 to 1.0 mpg, best was running home at 45-55 mph and it was 1.2 t 1.3, but you have to remember we carried over 2.5 TONS of fuel and fresh water, plus almost 500 lbs of ice, we were as the say "loaded to the gills"!

Robert
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Mingo

[QUOTE=
Gahunter: I recorded all the fuel data, but have not tabulated it yet. I know that the worst mpg we were getting was on way out at 17 mph pushing thru the seas and it was .9 to 1.0 mpg, best was running home at 45-55 mph and it was 1.2 t 1.3, but you have to remember we carried over 2.5 TONS of fuel and fresh water, plus almost 500 lbs of ice, we were as the say "loaded to the gills"!

Robert[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sounds about the same as the Contender. I'll bet you end up putting 385 gallons back in to fully cover the 385 miles covered.

The good news is the same friend had a 31 Contender before the 36 that had twin 2-strokes, and that boat stuggled to get 1 mpg, usually getting between .7 and 1 after a trip to the floaters. Four strokes are a Godsend in this day and age.
GAHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Mingo

Congrats on the sweep, it doesn't always take a big fish to win. I think a 40 lb wahoo won the Emerald (70 something boats), not many caught over the weekend.

Buddies took "Privateer" out fun fishing last Tues evening and stayed out till Sat. They also started at the 8500 Wed morning and stayed in dirty water all day. They wound up running East a pretty good ways and finally found the rip mid day Thur. They released one small Blue and caught several wahoo and dolphin Thursday, biggest hoo around 35 lbs and biggest dolphin at 40 lbs. They said the bite was not there Friday or Saturday.

Wish things would have held together for ya'll. That picture of the three winning hoo is classic.

Looking at that screen shot, looks like you might have gotten a couple of those waypoints from the middle man in the picture below : )

Last edited by Cast-N-Call; 06-27-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Cast-N-Call is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in