Oil Rig Fishing Report - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Oil Rig Fishing Report

Fished the Petronus, Beer Can, and Marlin Rigs on Thursday (July 21) and found only green water. Mostly Kings and lots of Sharks without a single Tuna.

We were radioed by a coast guard plane (C130?) circling the area around the Petronus to assist in retrieving a life buoy (they wanted the numbers off the buoy). They also had us attempt to identify a capsized boat about 3 miles south of the rig. The vessel name was below the water line so we were unable to identify the boat. The boat appered to be a 24' or so offshore fishing boat. We asked the coast guard pilot if the crew of the boat had been rescued and he said they had not yet determned the fate of the crew. Has anyone heard about this? I do not live in the area as I trailer my boat from East Tennessee to Gulf Shores about 4 - 5 times per year.
reelthrilltn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelthrilltn View Post
Fished the Petronus, Beer Can, and Marlin Rigs on Thursday (July 21) and found only green water. Mostly Kings and lots of Sharks without a single Tuna.

We were radioed by a coast guard plane (C130?) circling the area around the Petronus to assist in retrieving a life buoy (they wanted the numbers off the buoy). They also had us attempt to identify a capsized boat about 3 miles south of the rig. The vessel name was below the water line so we were unable to identify the boat. The boat appered to be a 24' or so offshore fishing boat. We asked the coast guard pilot if the crew of the boat had been rescued and he said they had not yet determned the fate of the crew. Has anyone heard about this? I do not live in the area as I trailer my boat from East Tennessee to Gulf Shores about 4 - 5 times per year.

Damn, that is messed up.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Mingo

http://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coa...ml#post3913032

Today, 01:09 PM #2
barthu

A boat capsized off grand isle LA a week or two ago. The guys were rescued but the boat rolled and kept floating with an air pocket in the bow. The boat was left out there and I heard a strobe or beacon was placed on it. They were looking into salvage or retrieval options vs sinking it. I heard it was the owners responsibility to take care of this. The coast guard would tow it but at a significant price. Last I heard it was off of florida. This may be the same boat.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Sailfish

Dang. Some friends of mine fished the marlin friday and did well on the tunas. I think the ended up catching 6 or 8
tyler0421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Blackfin or yellowfin? We did mark some fish and tried to chunk them up, but could not keep the sharks off. The water was the ugliest I have ever seen. Maybe it has started to clean up?
reelthrilltn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelthrilltn View Post
Blackfin or yellowfin? We did mark some fish and tried to chunk them up, but could not keep the sharks off. The water was the ugliest I have ever seen. Maybe it has started to clean up?

The water is only murky on the surface....change your tactics get below it and you will find success.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in