Offshore Venice La plus (sam) the mako - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Offshore Venice La plus (sam) the mako

I managed to get out a couple of times this weekend and catches were prettyconsistent. On day one I had Kip and Bubba on the boat. They were a blast to have around and were on home leave from their oil jobs in nigeria and angola. We headed out and found some uncooperative open water tuna. Headed to the first set of rigs and first pass was fish on. It fought like heck and ended up being a 65 pound amberjack. Not exactly what we were looking for but well take it . Next pass was another aj tofinish off our limit so we moved on. It was a slow pick the rest of the day but we ended up going 2-4 on wahoo and put three scamps in the boat. We did catch and release about 10 of the ever elusive non existent red snappers while we were scamp fishing.

On day two I got a call at 530 in the morning by some guys standing at the dock looking to go fishing. I told them I would be there in 15 minutes and we loaded up and headed out a little late but ready for action. We got one bf in open water and were heading to a set of rigs when the father Tom said look at the shark on the surface. I glanced over and saw a blue dorsal fin and slammed on the breaks and threw some pogies in the water while I looked for my mako rig. found it and cut up a bonito and hooked it on. Fish hit almost instantly and ran off about 100 feet of line and spit the hook. Told Chad to leave the bait out and hopefully he would come back. About 5 minutes later we had a NIBBLE or at least what a mako nibble feels like and came tight on the fish. It never did fight that hard or make a jump and we had it to the boat about 30 minutes later. I had borrowed Will Walls flying gaff during the fight and was ready to stick it in. got the fish up one last time and Stuck it hard through the side. And then it went crazy. I yelled to the customer to take the boat out of gear. I thought we were in reverse. We were not. The fish was digging deep and dragging the boat backwards at that point. It then came back up at the boat and left me with some good teeth marks on the bill collector. We managed to get a tail rope on him and drug him backwards for a couple hours before it died enough that we felt safe to put him in the boat.

We got him tied off on the bow cleat and Chad decided to name him Sam. So we spent the rest of the day fishing for wahoo and asking Sam how he felt. Sam never responded though. We put a couple wahoos in the box and headed to the house with a 350 pound class mako layed across my bow.

I had The Lutz family and friends on the boat on saturdayand they were a blast. We chunked for a little while and caught a pair of fat blackfins and then went trolling. They all caught their biggest wahoo ever with the biggest weighing in at 65 pounds. All the fish bit on bomber baits.

Capt Lee went out yesterday tuna fishing and from what he told me. they got two nice yfs, a handful of blacks and pulled the hooks on a stud at the boat.

Capteddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Offshore Venice La plus (sam) the mako

Capt Lee fished yesterday and only landed oneyf but it was a good one. They fought it for two and a half hours andit ended up weighing 180 pounds at the dock.

Capteddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
White Marlin

great report and that is a stud yellow
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Yes that YFT is a hog. Have you ever jigged one up in the size range?
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

damn that YFT still has its colors
Captain Woody Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
White Marlin

wow! great gaff on the mako...i bet that was interesting to say the least...thanks for the report and pics...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in