New Boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Outlaws Fishing Team
Ruby Red Lip

Default New Boat

Okay Guys.... I have found two boats I really like. The first one is a 1987 37' Topaz and the other on is a 1995 36' Tiara. They both are express boats and have same cat 3208's and generator. Y'all give me your opinion on the two makes.
OutlawsFishingTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Is the beam the same?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Outlaws Fishing Team
Ruby Red Lip

Yes the same beam. The Tiara has been updated and is very clean. The Topaz is in Great shape but needs a good cleaning. I have not fished is either brand of boat and want to know what y'all think. Which one is the better riding and fishing boat.
OutlawsFishingTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Litecatch has the Topaz and loves it. It is on the hill, to be splashed today. Jake Adams at Day Break Marina runs a charter on his, and he loves it as well.

Both these guy fish hard, and both always rave about their vessels.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Sailfish

I have fished some on a 37 Topaz and I was always impressed with the boat, very solid feeling for its size. The owner did not like the fact that the exhaust would "eddy" or waft back into the cockpit underway which gave him headaches, I never had that problem, but it drove him crazy. I think of the Topaz as more hard core offshore boat, but they are both nice brands.

good luck
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I currently fish a 37 Topaz with newer cummins in it called the Long Weekend and its a beast. We put it to the test every cobia season. doesn't matter if its 1 foot or 9 we go anyhow and it always comes back for more. very tough boat and stable too
inshorefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Grouper

Look at both and see which one is easier to work on as far as engine rooms, pumps thru holes, tabs, rudders, a/c, hot water heater, gen, etc. these being older boats you will touch every inch of those boats and if you have to get chain saw to get to things. It will be a nightmare.
chad403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
White Marlin

Given the two choices, I have fished the Topaz and it performs well in rough seas. Sorry, but haven't had experience on the Tiaras but, having said that, I would look at engine hours and maintenance attention. Of course, I don't know what relative price you are looking at but the previous poster who advised you to look at ease of access is a guy who's been there and you will soon be there as well; pay careful attention to his advice. I would also give some weight to fuel consumption; if that is a concern for you, then find out if you can do a sea trial in similar conditions and check the actual burn. Do both have tower with upper operator station or not. For me, this is a very real advantage from one to the other. Your target species are going to have an impact on what configuration you prefer. Boat purchases can get very emotional but I prefer to keep them analytical. The excitement of a new boat will soon be gone and you will be living with the 'non-glamour' factors for a bit longer. Write down what criteria are most important to you, refer to them after and stay on track till the purchase is complete.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Kim
Blue Marlin

OFT, if you are serious about buying a boat it is well worth your time and money to get a survey that includes the engines done by a reputable surveyor. The other thing you would want to see are the maintenance records for the boat. Receipts for work done will work as well. You want to be able to get a feeling for how well the boat was taken care of. Another thing to ask about is if the engines were in some type of trend analysis program (oil analysis on a regular basis). How often the engine oil was changed, how often does oil need to be added to the engines? Is surveying both boats going to cost money? Yes it will but it will also enable you to make a decision based on what it's really going to cost you in the long run. You will actually save money. Don't forget that some of the things the survey turns up you can get the current owner to take care of as conditions for the sale.

I have seen boats that looked used hard and put up wet but were in tip top shape mechanically. I have also seen beautiful boats that were never properly maintained that would require a large expenditure to get them back into good running condition. So the best thing you can do is to make sure you are aware of the true condition of the boat and equipage prior to buying it. This way you know what you are walking into and can have a phase plan for the repairs and upgrades to the boat rather than "what do I do now"?

Last edited by Kim; 08-03-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Grouper

The topaz is a very good good riding boat. It's a little heavey but that's one of the things that give it a good ride.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in