Long run to Blue Water - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree6Likes

Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Long run to Blue Water

Me, Allen and two friends down from Michigan, Scott and Marvin, made the ling run to Blue Water. Headed out from Drstin Sunday with first stop at Ocean BlackRhino around sunset. The water was dirty but there was a lot of action with Tuna busting baits consistently so we set up trolling, Live baiting, jigging and popping. Got a few good dive BFT and some small YFT (one or two legal size) but nothing big. Was a blast getting them on top water in the dark. Scott and Marvin showed relentless spirit jigging and popping vast quantities of BFT late into the night.

Continued overnight down past Danny Akins to Blind Faith but the current there was screaming so fast it was impossible to chunk and tough to get s drift around the rig. Sonar did not show much activity so we moved to Capricorn or thunder hawk finding much the same, but as the sun rose it was clear the water quality was much better electric blue. We chunked and trolled and live baited all those rigs but saw little activity on the surface or sonar. We got more BFT and perhaps one or two small YFT.

We doubled back hitting a couple of different weed lines in the direction of blind faith. As soon as we put out the spread we had a small dolphin on and a big bull screaming across the water toward our baits but he apparently changed his mind and left without eating. Had a decent little bull come in later on the short flat and steal the bait but I grabbed a jig and threw back at him and he jumped all over it. What a blast of a way to hook up and on light spin gear. A cow came with him and when Scotty thew a top water off the other side of the boat she went screaming after it. She missed but darted around and grabbed a ballyhoo dangling from the rigger and was hooked up in as unlikely a fusion as her mate. They shared their fate together in the fish box, both victims of their own gluttony!

We picked away a few more dolphin live baiting and jigging the weed line. It was brutal hot and I think we started to fade a bit in that heat.

We made that long run for Tuna and were disappointed in lack of activity in the area of the rigs there along the top of the loop current and a bit challenged by the current so we decided to head back to Danny Atkins and then Black rhino even though water quality there was not as good (Danny A) or downright nasty (black Rhino). No action, no marks at Danny A so we did sunset at Black Rhino. More BFT and activity was lower until it turned on well after dark. Had fun but still no big YFT. Decided to go by Petronius on the way in. I slept like a baby, but am told there was an epic battle between our northern brethren and a haus BFT. I will have to get photo confirmation on that. Speaking of which, I'll load a few tomorrow night.

Finished off with a little bottom bumping south of Pensacola and some high speed trolling in the edge for a short while but low on water and running out of steam we headed for the hill and a few cold ones. All in all, a great way to spend a few days with good people and lots of fish. Can't wait to do it again.
Getsome, Realtor, Lady J and 2 others like this.
Bill Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
White Marlin

Sounds like a good trip
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

+1

And a long run...

Man I need to get out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

No big tuna but still sounds like a great trip! One of these days Im going to do a multi day deep trip like that!

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Sailfish

great report. sounds like ya'll gave it all you had.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Sailfish

Thanks for posting as we are headed out tomorrow and it helps me decide what/where to do! I have been amazed at the current this year out there as it has certainly changed how we tuna fish this summer or heck if we even tuna fish!

Thanks again
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Grand Slam

wow, how fat out are these rigs you speak of? I have been waiting (not very patiently, I may add) for the water to clear up out there.... Thanks for the post.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
Grouper

msviking where will you be heading we are heading out tomorrow also. Leaving Pensacola around 6
floorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
wow, how fat out are these rigs you speak of? I have been waiting (not very patiently, I may add) for the water to clear up out there.... Thanks for the post.
Waiting NOT so patiently here too. Need something within range so we can fish!
tddlbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Sailfish

We are planning on leaving out if OB around 7 tomorrow morning with first stop being the elbow and depending how things go there on to points further south.
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in