Late Pcola Lady Angler / MS Viking (long) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree14Likes

Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Late Pcola Lady Angler / MS Viking (long)

I have not posted as much this summer as I normally do but given the recent topics regarding the white marlin bite going off at the nipple I thought I would post a report from two weeks ago.

We fished the Pensacola Lady Angler event with my wife and two daughters, my sister, niece, nephew, nephew’s girlfriend, my daughter’s boyfriend and the ever fearless Barret. We had a total of 10 people on board for the weekend. Believe it or not we were all comfortable and did not feel crowded as the weather was perfect.

As always the Pensacola Big Game Club did an excellent job of hosting the event. I really enjoy their events as there is always great camaraderie and good people. If you have not fished one of there events you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Fishing Report
Leading up to the weekend I had been hearing of huge releases of white marlin at the nipple. I had a few friends (Skin Deep in particular) that was generous with their information from a few days before in which they went something like 8 for 15!

We started Saturday morning near the nipple pulling a Squidnation dredge off each corner with squid chains trailing the dredges. We pulled 4 circle hooked ballyhoo, two on flat lines right behind the squid chains and two on the riggers. This is our standard “White Marlin / Sailfish “ setup.

There were probably 25-40 boats in and around the nipple that day. When we first started trolling there was just enough scattered grass to drive you nuts! Gunking up everything, dredges, chains and our ballyhoo. We ran a mile or two away along the 100 fathom curve till the grass dissipated. We then redeployed our baits. We caught a nice little Mahi and had numerous whites come into our spread but we could not get them to bite. A typical example would be, we would look up an see a the dorsal fin of a white following one of the squid chains, I would start retrieving the chain as one of the anglers would start positioning the hooked ballyhoo for the bite. The marlin would look but not bite and then just fade away. It was very frustrating to have so many lookers, but no takers!

I knew other boats were getting bit but could not figure out why we weren’t?! I did notice that the other boats were trolling faster than our 4.5-5.5 knt dead bait/dredge speed, leading me to wonder if they were pulling lures?

We deployed the sea anchor Saturday evening and got a good nights sleep barely drifting from the spot we deployed the anchor in. At sunup a small squall was moving through. This combined with my knowledge the boats trolling faster the day before had me putting out lures instead of my ballyhoo / dredge setup. At lure speeds 7-8.5 knts I can’t pull a dredge or rather don’t pull a dredge, but I do leave the squid chains out.

Well, it was not 10 minutes before we had our first drag screamer. Over the next 8 hours or so we went 3 for 12-15 on Whites! It was wild! No doubt the hottest white marlin bite I have ever experienced. We hooked them on flat lines, short riggers, long riggers, bird on the shotgun. There was no rhyme or reason or pattern other than they were liking it fast. Of the 8-12 we lost most were jump offs, i.e. rigger pops, fish jumping, drag screaming, fish jumps and throws lure.

What was strange on Sunday was that I had a few friends trolling right next to me that were trolling the more traditional while marlin spread of dredges and ballyhoo and they did not even raise a single fish! It was completely opposite of what one would expect. There is a lesson there, don’t be so set in your ways if you know others are hooking up.

Two of our white marlin were caught by first time billfish anglers, which was awesome! We did not place as winning boat had 8 releases, but we had a blast!

Can’t wait till the next event!!

Sister with her Mahi from Saturday

team rigging circle hook ballyhoos

My daughter Jamie with her White

Jamie with her White

Allison fighting her white

Allison's white boat side note Black Bart Hot Breakfast

Sister fighting her white (squid chain in background with mackerel chase bait)

Sister's white on Joe Yee Medium plunger

Heading in

My anglers after getting thrown in at weigh in

Jacquelyn at weigh dock with flags flying
2010 24 Hurricane Deck Boat
2001 Contender 25 (sold)
MSViking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Sailfish

Awesome report
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
Fielro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Snapper

very nice, detailed report...we were slow boatin it that day with dredges and naked ballyhoo, and raised only two...food for thought - mix up those speeds. We also got a wahoo and a dolphin before heading to the house. Congrats guys!
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Kim
Blue Marlin

Wow that's the kind of fishing report I like to read. Your pic spread is fabulous and the one with everyone sitting on deck rigging baits is priceless. On top of that you point out to us to pay attention to what the boats around us are doing and if something isn't working to try a different tactic. Great post.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
White Marlin

Probably, no not probably, IS up there with the best Blue Water reports that I have ever read on this forum.

The 'what we did wrong' and 'how we corrected', the specifics of baits, the changes in troll speeds......all good information...specifics that anglers can use to succeed.

A classic case of 'paying attention' and adapting your methods.

Naturally, we would like to hear the same types of reports from others who were successful. Excellent job fishing and an even better job reporting. Congratulations to all the first time successful anglers. Another great group effort.

Proof that we have as good a fishery here as almost anywhere else. If we weren't dealing with such extreme distances we would have equal results but this report proves that you don't have to go so far, you just have to keep your eyes open and be willing to change methods on short notice.
Kim and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
Trigger

Great informative post as usual Robert. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Trigger

Always love reading your reports!
Fish N Tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Grouper

Thank you for a great report. What an example!
chad403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Trigger

Great report! Glad you figured out what it took. We tried all that day but did't have a good bite, just a couple of hits on plugs with ballyhooo. Dredge at home.
We got out there about daylight and there wee about 5 boats, then 12, then 17 then 21. See ya out there next time.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Trigger

Wow! Great report, thanks for sharing. Congrats to the anglers on their releases and good job on getting the whole family out there! Sounds like an epic trip.
Tim_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in