Ideal trolling Speed? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Ideal trolling Speed?

What's your ideal trolling speed when you are pulling artificials or dead bait like ballyhoo/ illander combo. Not highspeed wahoo trolling at 14 or 15 knots. Conditions are ideally flat or close to it. Do ya'll like to mix it up or keep it constant?
BullBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Ideal trolling Speed?

we run whatever speed makes the lures run right anywhere from 5 knots to 9 knots. but i like 6.5-7 knots is a good speed not to fast for deadbait and not to slow for lures
Midnight Run is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Squid technician
Grand Slam

What Jeff said, 7 knots will give lures enough action and is still slow enough to keep your natural baits from washing out. You can pull them faster but there really isn't any need to. We usually make on the fly adjustments to our spread when regarding what to put out and how long to leave it out. If you haven't gotten a strike in a couple hours then perhaps its time to put something new out. I always leave time tested favorites in longer but sometimes they just won't eat. Just remember, if you drag a spread long enough, something will get bit.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Trigger

Yea, I have pulled them around 7 knots or so in the past but I read an old article in Florida Sportsman from last summer where George Poveromo was talking about switching trolling speeds around while out on the water...just wanted to see what yall thought.

BullBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Dempsetc (3/25/2009)Yea, I have pulled them around 7 knots or so in the past but I read an old article in Florida Sportsman from last summer where George Poveromo was talking about switching trolling speeds around while out on the water...just wanted to see what yall thought.
lure action decided speed.Itshouldchange throughout the day depending on wave action, current, lures, etc. Between 6-8 kts most of the time.

most commonly between 6.5 - 7.5 with naturals invloved. When everything looks good and has that perfect wiggle and action, you're going the right speed.
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Sailfish

For lure/bait combonation spread I would say somewhere in the 6-7knot range. With lures only, we usually kept it around 8.5 knots for 2 reasons. One, at the slightly higher speed, we cuold cover a little more ground, but more importantly, that's about where we had the Detroits making the most beautiful purr...
facebook.com/BSTseptic
nb&twil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Trigger

depends on you boat, the spread your pulling, and about 100 more factors.... if you're pulling plugs thru open water "scouting" for fish- pull baits that you can haul ass with (8+ knots). this way you can cover a bunch of territory. if you're trollin a well defined weedline that has bait jumping everywhere-deploy the naturals and slow it down.... but for the most part just use common sense. every boat and every spread is different.
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (3/25/2009)depends on you boat, the spread your pulling, and about 100 more factors.... if you're pulling plugs thru open water "scouting" for fish- pull baits that you can haul ass with (8+ knots). this way you can cover a bunch of territory. if you're trollin a well defined weedline that has bait jumping everywhere-deploy the naturals and slow it down.... but for the most part just use common sense. every boat and every spread is different.
I couldn't of said it better.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Midnight,

Do you ever troll the Mann's Stretch 25's/30's?

I 'm wanting to learn what the optimal drop back distance is

on these,as affected by trolling speed, maybe for wahoo..

Thanks

Reel Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Ive never really draged the stretch 25's but i have draged the yozuri bonitas all over the gulf, and i think everybody will agree that they get more wahoo bites than almost anything. you can put them anywhere in the spread even as close as the second wave and troll them at any speed u like, from 6 to 14+ knots weve got bites.
CoreyRF18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in