Hilton's Analysis of the Loop Current - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree3Likes

Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Hilton's Analysis of the Loop Current

Gulf of Mexico Loop Current Missing in Action

Hilton's Gulf of Mexico Loop Current Analysis
In the thirteen years since we launched Hilton's Realtime-Navigator, I have never witnessed an event as I am currently seeing in the Gulf of Mexico;
The driving force for most all the surface currents on the Gulf of Mexico, the Loop Current, is practically non-existent this year.

What implications this even may have on the upcoming fishing season is unknown.

Below is a brief synopsis from March 28, 2013 to March 28, 2017 of how the Gulf of Mexico Loop Current and its resultant production of upwelling cyclones and downwelling warm core eddies affect Gulf-wide fishing conditions.
Thomas J. Hilton

Here you can see the Loop Current 4 years ago today in its predictable pattern of entering the Gulf between the Yucatan Penninsula and Cuba, reaching for the Mississippi Delta then turning eastward, then south exiting the Gulf between the Florida Keys and Cuba. A by product of the Loop Current are the counter-clockwise upwelling cyclones and clockwise rotating, downwelling warm core eddies. In 2013, the Loop Current extended it reach as far north as 28 degrees/30 minutes N.

Here you can see the Loop Current 3 years ago today where it was about 75 NM south of the 2013 position (27 degrees/15 minutes N). Not so great for the Venice, LA fishermen, but really good for the Venice, FL fishermen!

Here you can see the Loop Current 2 years ago today where the Loop Current had swung waaaay westward, barreling through Green Canyon and creating one of the most intense cyclones I have ever seen out at the FPSO Turitella area. I like to see good current, but this almost too much current. In 2015, the Loop Current extended northward to 28 deg./15 min. N and westward to 90 deg./45 min. W!

Here you can see the Loop Current 1 year ago today where it had retreated back to a more normal position where it remained constant for many months. So did the counter-clockwise rotating cyclone just north of the Loop Current. This cyclone fed beautiful, nutrient-rich water washing into the outer oil structures such as Independence Hub, Blind Faith, and the drillship Deepwater Proteus for months, creating superb fishing conditions for extra large tuna and marlin. The Loop Current's position relative to the fishing grounds between Venice, LA and Cape San Blas FL is one large reason (in my opinion) this area is such a world-class fishery.

Here you can see the Loop Current today - oh wait! Where is it? You can barely see it on the lower right corner of the image - it's only reaching northward to 25 deg./30 min. N. That's a full 180 nautical miles south of its northernmost position in this series from where it was in 2013. The entire region looks devoid of any meaningful currents, at least within fishing range. Fishermen know that they need current in order for the fish to feed - it will be interesting to see how this year's fishing season plays out with this wild card being thrown at us by Mother Nature!

Good fishing!
Tom Hilton
"Southern Xposure"

2008 SeaChaser 2400 OffShore w/300hp eTec (Lady J)
1998 World Cat 246sf w/twin 150hp Zukes (Altered States)
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Snapper

dang
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Was reading that this morning. Be interesting to see how it pans out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Trigger

Did not sound encouraging. I do not think I have ever seen the altimetry as bad in our area as it currently is either.
Reel Estate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/c...ustryoil15.htm

It happened in 2010, check it out.
Finmanfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finmanfish View Post
The "shedding event" in 2010 where the Loop Current "overextends" itself and causes a warm core eddy to peel off, is a normal occurrence. The warm core eddy provides the same benefit to the Gulf as the Loop Current as it creates upwelling cyclones and currents as well as it drifts westward towards Texas The Loop Current rebuilt itself shortly thereafter - to see the Gulf with no Loop Current or warm core eddies is highly unusual.
Tom Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

My comment is intended to be fodder for the discussion only. My Hiltons concerns should be taken seriously. I have been a subscriber of Toms for many years.
Tom Hilton likes this.
Finmanfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
k-p
Grouper

Back in '97 we had cold water upwellings that turned the water in July to about 65-70 degrees when it was supposed to be around the low 80s. We saw king mackeral and other fish running on the surface of the water like they were trying to get out of it. Lasted about 2 months then it finally warmed up. Could this lead to something similar?
k-p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Grouper

Finman - agreed. I appreciate the feedback.

As seen in the first 4 years of the analysis, the Loop Current moves around quite a bit - this year is a bit odd, but is probably in the normal scheme of things overall and will regain its normal position further north in due time.
Tom Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Default .

Just as long as that sucker moves some big fish up to the nipple or the squiggles by June-ish ill be happy. I'm stuck in Iraq until then, key board fishing isn't anywhere near as fun.
Magic236 likes this.
Eastcoasted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in