Great day at the Elbow on Thursday - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By marlinchaser

Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Great day at the Elbow on Thursday

Took a chance on the weather gods being right about the seas calming down on Thursday. They were spot on!! 1.3 ft with a northerly breeze going out and next to calm coming home. Got to about 600ft water south of elbow around 8 am and took a bit of time to set up a 6 rod spread and a couple of teasers. A little after ten a huge splash behind the a big baitless black and purple Moldcraft chugger. Fight was on which ended with a 35 -40 lb Wahoo in the boat (scale only went to 28lb and still had a lot of him on the floor). Eleven am and a blue marlin is interested in a pink and white illander w/ballyhoo. Drop back but no luck on a hook up. Thirty minutes later another blue is wacking at the Moldcraft. Again drop back but no hook up. I started reeling in and darn if he didn't hit it again with no luck on a hook up. Thirty minutes later another blue runs off with the Moldcraft and as I came tight on him, he's jumps 6-7 feet completely clear of the water, shaking his head and throwing off the moldcraft. Damn, I've got to get better at connecting!!!. After trolling a while longer with no action, I come across some good activity on the bottom. We set up a couple of electric reels and after about an hour we have a 18 lb golden edge grouper and seven tile fish in the boat. Left around 2:30 for the 2 hour run home. A good day for four happy anglers.
Attached Thumbnails
Great day at the Elbow on Thursday-20171026_172913-jpg  

2008 Robalo R240 Twin 150 Yams
marlinchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
Snapper

Very nice!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Awesome, we headed that way but just north of the nipple a bilge pump decided to stop working so unturned her around. I hope it wasn't my last chance to get out for the season.

Sounds like a great day!

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Trigger

Wow awesome report!! A day full of action for you guys!! I?m not doubting your report at all, but are you sure the marlin bites were blues and not white marlin? Only reason I ask is because they have been biting pretty good as of lately, where as the blues have not, and they are world famous for doing exactly as you described. The white marlin bite can be hard to stick and get them boat side. For me anyway. Regardless, you guys had an action packed trip and put some serious groceries on the table! Awesome work and thanks for sharing the report!
Old 10-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallluke View Post
Wow awesome report!! A day full of action for you guys!! I?m not doubting your report at all, but are you sure the marlin bites were blues and not white marlin? Only reason I ask is because they have been biting pretty good as of lately, where as the blues have not, and they are world famous for doing exactly as you described. The white marlin bite can be hard to stick and get them boat side. For me anyway. Regardless, you guys had an action packed trip and put some serious groceries on the table! Awesome work and thanks for sharing the report!
The third one was definitely a blue as it was totally out of the water and was 200+ lbs. The first was a blue because of the fins showing behind the bait; the second could be in doubt as I just saw the body and swirls behind the lure. Thanks for the comments.

2008 Robalo R240 Twin 150 Yams
marlinchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Sounds like a great day. I wish I had a flexible work schedule to pull off a Thursday! You've got some great table fare there!
RapiD-CH32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
Trigger

We missed a billfish as well Thursday. The hook met the meat just fine but the fish damn near spooled the 30w with braid before we could turn the boat. Down to the last 50 yards, she Tailwalks across the water and the main line breaks somewhere near the lure! Great to see her jump but sad not to get a release!

Ended up with a decent wahoo.

Great day on the water!
Bryan_DESTIN_TRITON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Trigger

Right on man, that is awesome!! A billfish bite is so sick regardless of the species, but those blues sure are special! Glad you guys enticed a few to strike and got to see a show. Killer work on raising them!
Old 11-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
White Marlin

Great job.
Whyme
WhyMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in