GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree8Likes

Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Grouper

Default GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28

Left sportsmans Marina on the first trip of the year at 5 am sharp headed to the steps. The weather report was for seas to be calming and north wind on the way out so the ride out was great till we stopped to fish . It was rough as always but fishable. We proceed to deep drop for groupers and ended up catching a nice box of yellow edge , snowy and long tail seas bass along with a ton of white snapper and other assorted bottom dwellers .

Around noon we decided to troll off to Petronius and try for what ever would bite. We picked up a few dolphin fish along the way which was a great sign for a good season to come. once at the rig we saw 10K dolphin working the area and proceeded to catch blackfin tuna on jigs and poppers , along with some bait fish we snagged off the rig legs.

Didnít see or mark any yellowfin so we moved to the drill ship behind it at dark and found it to be loaded with nice schools of larger Blackfin but again no yellowfin. We tried chunking but that only brought in Giant sharks, the kind that eat a whole blackfin in one bite ? Not sure what they where but they we big 12 to 15 feet long and not makos. I ended up catching two of these beast , one on my new LT100 lethal spinning reel and the other on a 50w. We stayed there for a few hours and dipped over to Marlin next where it seemed we would catch some YF as i saw a few 80 pounders jumping amongst the thousands of blackfin boils. We tried every trick in the book and could only catch blackfin no matter what we tried.

We played with the blackfin till midnight and rolled south to Horn Mountain we once again life was everywhere but the same results of blackfin city . I think there was just too many blackfin to wade though to catch a yellowfin . The fish were hamming tiny squid on the surface and we tried using them only to catch larger blackfin.

At day break nothing really was going on so we moved inshore hitting marlin again on the way in with more blackfin . We rolled into the shallow rigs in 350 ft and caught Amberjack , Snapper, Scamp and small sharks topping off our box. We then rolled in toward port and along the way i metered what looked like a bus on teh bottom in 110 feet and dropped a few butterfly jigs down to see what was up : 20-30 Red snapper would follow each hooked fish up every drop is what was up . Not wanting to endanger the red snapper stock : we left for home saving that spot for another day when season is open .

all in all it was a great shake down trip after having our boat in the yard for the month before getting her ready for the coming season. Our new under water light made all the difference in the world and was well worth the money spent. For those looking for under water lights wondering what to get : we got the seas blaze x in blue and white and they are Bad Azz the new tuna tubes are killer as well and the boat ran like a champ .

Arrived in OB at 2 pm and cleaned 3 carts of fish , the boat and rods and got back to Atlanta at midnight : boy do I have a fishing hangover: Did not take many photos as i was running the boat and deck but please enjoy the few i took.

Headed out again on WED going long: report to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-tunatubes-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortylights-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortylights2-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortysunset-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortysunset2-jpg  

GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-sunpicfish-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-finder-jpg  
Realtor, Bodupp, MrFish and 1 others like this.

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 03-30-2015 at 03:10 PM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Grouper

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-striger-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-seabass-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-lougrouper-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-sunsetrigs-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortylift1-jpg  

GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortylift2-jpg   GET SHORTY Rig Report March 27/28-getshortylift3-jpg  
Realtor and RedLeg like this.

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 03-30-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
White Marlin

Hate you couldn't find the yellow fin still looks like a great trip tho
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
Snapper

lookin' good...nice report. ive heard yoyuu have to go further SW to get out of the Blackfins and into YFTs recently.
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
White Marlin

Great looking report.

Were you at the Tom Madden?
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandleslim View Post
Great looking report.

Were you at the Tom Madden?
Yes : we fished Noble Tom Madden which is between Marlin and Horn.

saw one other small CC there which i though had a single outboard : and wondered what the heck they were doing out there . But later noticed they had twin in what looked like a 24 foot boat .

The ride out was horrible and the ride in was just aweful : really wondered how those dudes made it out and back alive. I am sure they got wet

That drill ship has some monster sharks on it right now:

never saw another boat all weekend which had me thinking we missed the wetaher report or read it wrong but we just toughed it out. The 43 Viking can handle just about anything , its just the crew that cant
Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantacapt View Post
lookin' good...nice report. ive heard yoyuu have to go further SW to get out of the Blackfins and into YFTs recently.

I will let you know WED : headed that way to try again.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
White Marlin

I've got a friend that is on the Tom Madden. He's been on there since Namibia. He keeps me informed about what is being caught around there. He did mention that there have been a lot of sharks. They have been pulling casing and the BOP stack so there is a lot stirred up out there and that may be what is causing the shark frenzy. They have a better view from up high.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandleslim View Post
I've got a friend that is on the Tom Madden. He's been on there since Namibia. He keeps me informed about what is being caught around there. He did mention that there have been a lot of sharks. They have been pulling casing and the BOP stack so there is a lot stirred up out there and that may be what is causing the shark frenzy. They have a better view from up high.

Very Nice Info

that is some operation they have going on as there are two standby ship and the drill ship and all are massive.

Very impressive machinery
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
Sailfish

Great report, seas looked pretty rough.
70 Wellcraft 17' (sold)
80 Starcraft 16' (sold)
bcahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in