GET SHORTY Report may 1-3 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Like Tree16Likes

Old 05-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Grouper

Default GET SHORTY Report may 1-3

Left Sportsman's Marina Friday night under a full moon and headed south to do some night time swordfish drifting. On this trip I had the pleasure of fishing with my partner Reg and two fisherman from Orange Beach , Angelo and Matt. We arrived at the grounds around 11 pm and deployed the baits and had a pretty uneventful night except for the crazy rough seas and shook us all night.

At day break we deployed the trolling lures and worked back north to shallower water to try for wahoo, where we saw scattered grass and blended blue green water. We trolled for a hour or so and got no takers so we started to drift some new areas for deep drop fish and pecked away at some nice tiles , sea bass and groupers and one monster Amberjack, till I spotted what looked like a flipped over boat 300 yards away.

We head over to discover a 23 foot rib half sunk full of bait , triple tail and a pair of big Dolphin fish. We trolled by and hook a few jacks and eventually had to go over and bait it as the live bait was so thick we couldn't catch the dolphin. Matt hooks up the bigger of the two on a whole squid and the battle is on ! about 30 minutes later up pops a huge dolphin which i missed twice at gaff before finally sinking the gaff and landing the fish. After that we tried to catch the other dolphin but it wouldn't bite so we turned our attention to the biggest triple tail under the raft and i finally caught him on a squid and Matt scooped him up in the net for me.

While the guys were landing bait i decide to drop in 700 feet at the raft and see whats up down there. Well it was apparently right on a rock because i caught some nice fish out there including Grayline tiles and snowy groupers. We spent some time bumping that area and then left to deeper water to try our luck on a day time swordfish. We set out to 1200 feet west of the canyon and made some drops where we got a few bites but no hook ups, but i went down to the bottom in these same areas and pulled up one golden tile after another in the deepest water i have yet to fish. We messed around with that area till 1 hour before dark and trolled off to a completely different area 8 miles away to try for night time swords once again.

First bait out gets a shark so we decide to move the boat a mile away or so . We get the baits out and settled in and around 11 pm under a bright full moon sky Angelo jumps up and says we are on ? Im really confused because no rods are going off but he said he saw the disco light swim by the boat from one of our baits . Well about 1 min later Reggie starts screaming Swordfish Swordfish Swordfish : This dang fish had swam to the port side of the boat and then crossed the stern back to starboard in our lights with our disco ball light in tow and our squid bait inside his belly. I cannot express how cool a swordfish looks when its swimming along at night in the underwater lights.
At this point Angelo figures out which rod the fish is on and winds up all the slack and comes tight on our fish. He jumps in the chair with the 80W penn and goes to work with pretty stout drag. The fish came up pretty early green as hell so i let the leader go and the fish burned off a huge run . This went back and forth for some time until the fish popped up off the port corner trying its best to get in our rudder and prop so i just man handled him up and out from under the boat and Matt gaffed him and we both swung the fish over the rail into the boat where it went nuts!

after a few tense moments we subdued the fish and started high fives and start taking pics. We ice the fish down and clean up and get back to the drift point but went never hooked another fish , which is a good thing because the boat was plugged with fish at that point. We spent the rest of the night on drift and packed up and headed for the barn at 7:30 am.

In all it was a great time with great company and fisherman, hands off to Angelo and Matt for making this trip so much fun and so much less work by helping from every facet, which made everything roll so smooth ( Thx Guys).

Enjoy the pictures till next report : GET SHORTY OUT
Attached Thumbnails
GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-fullsizerender-jpg   GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-sun1-jpg   GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-sun2-jpg   GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-triple-tail-jpg   GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-boxfull-jpg  

GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-swordme-jpg   GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-raft2-jpg  
Bodupp, PJIII and THONAS J. RYAN like this.

Last edited by PELAGIC PIRATE; 05-04-2015 at 08:21 PM.
PELAGIC PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Grouper

Default more pics

here you go
Attached Thumbnails
GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-mattsword-jpg   GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-swordregnmike-jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
OSOK
Blue Marlin

Awesome report!! Nice work on the sword!

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
White Marlin

Fun time in the Gulf.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Great report! Nice detail and sounds like a lot of good meat for the freezer!! Nothing like coming across a floating object in the water to hold great fish. Just don't want to be running at night and find it the hard way!
bquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Sailfish

love the report nice sword and box of deapwater fish.no pic of the bull mahi?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
Sailfish

and that's the way to do a good fish report. i was right there with you guys.
y'all got some good eats for a while.

jack
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Fine report. Nice to get your target species and a bunch of bonuses.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Sailfish

We had a great trip. Here is the bull, this fish whooped my ass. Never had one fight so hard.
Attached Thumbnails
GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-img_04791-jpg  
PJIII and THONAS J. RYAN like this.
doradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobe killer View Post
love the report nice sword and box of deapwater fish.no pic of the bull mahi?
Here u go
Attached Thumbnails
GET SHORTY Report may 1-3-image-jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in