Friday/saturday - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Blue Water Fishing > Blue Water Reports

Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Friday/saturday

We headed out Of Perdido Pass Friday evening with an ETA of 12:30 At Marlin. We had a smooth dry ride the entire way until we were about 10 miles out and the wind picked up and the seas started to grow. We started to jig and were slowly catching Blackfin. after a couple drops for me I took a break and started making some rigs for trolling in the morning since I realized about half way out that I had forgotten my bag with all of my pre-made rigs in the truck. Made up several rigs while everyone was occasionally catching a fish. After and hour or so, I took back over at the helm and was able to put us on the Blackfin bite where it was a challenge to drop a jig 100' down and get it up with out a Blackfin on it. As the sun came up we began to troll around. The wind was steadily picking up and so were the waves. The Tiny (6"-10") Blackfin were jumping everywhere but the were to larger fish to be found. We began our way NE to troll toward another Rig and I noticed the boat was sitting a little low in the water. Pulled all the lines and tried to get the boat up on plane and there was to much water in the boat. opened a couple hatched to the bilge and they were full of water but the pumps were not running. (getting very nervous at this point!) felt around the pumps and they were clogged. cleared them and the bilge drained. Decided to head toward the house instead of fighting the nasty seas any more. Got the boat on plan and got about 20 rough miles with water coming in the boat continually and noticed that we have slowed. Looked in the bilge and the pumps were clogged again. cleared the pumps again, and got the bilge drained. Started running home again and noticed that the bow was running pretty low so looked around some and realized that the 200gallon fish box in the bow was full of water to the point where the lid was floating. Also the 2 - 50+ gallon storage compartments that drain into the bilge had filled with water and then their drains were clogged. so once I got the 300+ gallons (2500#+) of water out of the bow the boat road much better the rest of the sloppy ride home! Ended up keeping about 25 blackfin and trowing back a lot more then we kept.

2017 SeaHunter32
Twin 300hp Yamaha
Theodore, AL
reeldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Trigger

Scary ride! Ever figure where the water was coming in?

2008 Robalo R240 Twin 150 Yams
marlinchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Sailfish

glad everything worked out capt'n. and ya'll made it back safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

That's scary. Hope you get it sorted out quickly. Nice catch on the blackfins though.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Mingo

Looks like over time debris has built up in the bilge and with the rough seas and the water splashing over the bow enough water made it's was into the bilge to float the built up debris to the bilge pumps and clogged them. once they quit working the extra water made the boat sit a little lower in the water hence more water splashing in. Looks like what I need to do is spend a day with a water hose and a shop-vac cleaning out the bilge so the pumps don't get clogged again!

2017 SeaHunter32
Twin 300hp Yamaha
Theodore, AL
reeldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in